Applewhite to Texas (MERGED THREADS)

Auburnfan91

If Applewhite does leave, it will be a good thing for Alabama

Was never impressed with him this year.

Offense wasn't spread nor did I like a lot of his calls

too much of a Pendry influence, really. he was probably a little irritated with how the "co-OC" deal was working out. when you take a game like the TN game where we ran a true spread nearly the whole time and blew it up, then you see other games with more of a pro-set and we struggle.....i would probably be a little upset too.

So are you saying that you lost the better half of the Co-OC's? Who do you think will want to come in and be the other half now?

honestly i think having 2 OCs is a bad idea. now, in CMA's case maybe they felt that it was needed because he was so green. i don't know. really i doubt they will go after anybody, Pendry would simply be the OC. i'm not so sure i would be too thrilled about that, but who knows. i guess i would have to see a few games with him 100% calling it to make a completely informed decision.

I agree. Do you remember Charlie Stubbs and Neil Callaway? That worked out really well. :puke:

I never understood why there is such a thing as co-coordinators. If this move is what MA wants to do then more power to him. I think Saban and Tubby need to start making visits to Texas to recruit and make Mack work a little harder.

too much of a Pendry influence, really. he was probably a little irritated with how the "co-OC" deal was working out. when you take a game like the TN game where we ran a true spread nearly the whole time and blew it up, then you see other games with more of a pro-set and we struggle.....i would probably be a little upset too.

I was wondering why you all blew out UT yet struggled like hell most other games

Should let him run his O the way he wants

I was wondering why you all blew out UT yet struggled like hell most other games

Should let him run his O the way he wants

the UT, Arky, and Colorado games we ran a pretty true spread at first, not this mixed BS. then it seems like when we get a huge lead, we go back to a pro-style offense, get ultra conservative, and can't move the ball. then that puts the D back on the field every 2 minutes. then they are able to come back because we don't have fresh bodies to put in.

overall, the offense was a little better than 2006. and thats with having an inconsistant running game and a QB with cobwebs in his head for 2-3 games. could it have been ALOT better than last season? maybe. but i agree, they should let him run it the way he wants. what i don't understand is why alot of our fans are thinking we're going to go on the hunt for another OC when we already have one in Pendry already there. maybe i'm wrong and they will go hunting, but i just really don't see it happening.

Who was calling the plays? Applewhite or Pendry or did they share?

They share. Applewhite calls a lot of the plays, but Pendry is in charge of the "gameplanning", whatever that means..... :no:

Pendry is in charge of the "gameplanning", whatever that means..... :no:

In the Bellichek/Saban world, that means he operates the hidden cameras.

i guess that applies to the Muschamp world too since he served under CNS.

Pendry is in charge of the "gameplanning", whatever that means..... :no:

In the Bellichek/Saban world, that means he operates the hidden cameras.

i guess that applies to the Muschamp world too since he served under CNS.

Yes, now it does... :P

Mobile paper reporting it's a done deal:

http://blog.al.com/live/2008/01/major_appl...e_to_texas.html

Major Applewhite to Texas

Posted by Gentry Estes January 16, 2008 1:29 PM

Categories: Sports

University of Alabama offensive coordinator Major Applewhite is calling Crimson Tide recruits today with word that he has accepted a job as running backs coach at the University of Texas. Applewhite confirmed the move this morning to Errick Lowe, the Florida high school coach for blue-chip quarterback prospect Star Jackson.

"It's a good situation for Major and his career," Lowe said. "I think it's kind of obvious. It's his alma mater. They see him like a star down there. I know he has a lot of loyalty for (Texas) coach Mack Brown. I think it's a good opportunity for him."

Applewhite was the coach primarily responsible for recruiting Jackson, who committed to the Tide is past summer. Lowe acknowledged that Applewhite's departure is "of course, going to throw a little kink in there," when it comes to Jackson's decision, but maintained that Jackson remains "firmly" committed to Alabama.

"He's not going back on his word," Lowe said.

Texas can not officially announce Applewhite's hire until after the close of business today, due to rules requiring a job to be posted at least five days. Applewhite interviewed at UT on Tuesday. He is the second assistant coach to leave Alabama's staff since the end of the 2007 season, following special teams/tight ends coach Ron Middleton, who accepted a job at Duke.

Interesting points:

1. Just a year ago, Major was proclaiming that coming to coach at bama was the fulfilment of a lifelong dream. After all he was named after a former bama player and his dad was a former president of the national bam Alumni Assn. Major was the toast of Tuscalooser and the bammers were proclaiming him as the next best thing to Saban. Now, in one year, the bubble has burst. Major has seen that the grand bama tradition and the best place to coach isn't as advertised. He also sees what it's like to work with Saban and is willing to take a downgrade to RB coach to leave (oh I know hw is lso going to be an Ass't HC but that's just window dressing). He now goes home to mama, much like a young man did many years a go in reverse. Yet the bammers are trashing him on their boards. Hope this makes some other young prospects see the light.

2. Saban has no buyout in his contract. Applewhite has to pay a buyout of 20% of his annual salary. Do I smell hypocracy?

Interesting points:

1. Just a year ago, Major was proclaiming that coming to coach at bama was the fulfilment of a lifelong dream. After all he was named after a former bama player and his dad was a former president of the national bam Alumni Assn. Major was the toast of Tuscalooser and the bammers were proclaiming him as the next best thing to Saban. Now, in one year, the bubble has burst. Major has seen that the grand bama tradition and the best place to coach isn't as advertised. He also sees what it's like to work with Saban and is willing to take a downgrade to RB coach to leave (oh I know hw is lso going to be an Ass't HC but that's just window dressing). He now goes home to mama, much like a young man did many years a go in reverse. Yet the bammers are trashing him on their boards. Hope this makes some other young prospects see the light.

2. Saban has no buyout in his contract. Applewhite has to pay a buyout of 20% of his annual salary. Do I smell hypocracy?

there really isn't a mass trashing of CMA on Bama boards. unless you're seeing different Bama boards than i am. alot of folks can't blame him. he's going back to the school he played for. more power to him if thats whats good for him and his family. there is not a massive meltdown such as you would like to see.

as far as his contract, he knew what his contract was when he signed on to the dotted line. apparently he was willing to accept that "hypocracy".

Interesting points:

there really isn't a mass trashing of CMA on Bama boards. unless you're seeing different Bama boards than i am. alot of folks can't blame him. he's going back to the school he played for. more power to him if thats whats good for him and his family. there is not a massive meltdown such as you would like to see. ----maybe trashing isn't the right word. They are just saying he is too slow, can't understand the plays, and we never wanted him to start with." :poke:

as far as his contract, he knew what his contract was when he signed on to the dotted line. apparently he was willing to accept that hypocracy.--glad you concur it's there.

Interesting points:

there really isn't a mass trashing of CMA on Bama boards. unless you're seeing different Bama boards than i am. alot of folks can't blame him. he's going back to the school he played for. more power to him if thats whats good for him and his family. there is not a massive meltdown such as you would like to see. ----maybe trashing isn't the right word. They are just saying he is too slow, can't understand the plays, and we never wanted him to start with." :poke:

as far as his contract, he knew what his contract was when he signed on to the dotted line. apparently he was willing to accept that hypocracy.--glad you concur it's there.

i haven't really seen alot of people saying they didn't want him anyways either. you must be thinking of you guys when you don't get a recruit or something. i know you guys want to spin this in the most negative way as possible, but i don't think it will work. you guys made fun of CMA all season saying he wasn't any good, now that he's leaving you think its some sort of death blow to the program. the guy went home. i can't blame him.

Interesting points:

i haven't really seen alot of people saying they didn't want him anyways either. you must be thinking of you guys when you don't get a recruit or something. i know you guys want to spin this in the most negative way as possible, but i don't think it will work. you guys made fun of CMA all season saying he wasn't any good, now that he's leaving you think its some sort of death blow to the program. the guy went home. i can't blame him.

Here's the funny part: No one outside of Tuscaloosa had any idea you had co-offensive coordinators. All anyone ever heard was about wunderkind Major Applewhite. Now that he's leaving, however, we hear that Pendry has really been calling all the shots. That story smells like the south end of a north-bound bull.

Interesting points:

Here's the funny part: No one outside of Tuscaloosa had any idea you had co-offensive coordinators. All anyone ever heard was about wunderkind Major Applewhite. Now that he's leaving, however, we hear that Pendry has really been calling all the shots. That story smells like the south end of a north-bound bull.

then i guess nobody outside of Tuscaloosa was paying attention to any of the early press conferences. CNS said the offense would be a mix of Pendry and Applewhite and both would call plays. Pendry wasn't calling all the shots. if you really paid attention to our games, you could visibly tell the difference and the mix.

Interesting points:

then i guess nobody outside of Tuscaloosa was paying attention to any of the early press conferences. CNS said the offense would be a mix of Pendry and Applewhite and both would call plays. Pendry wasn't calling all the shots. if you really paid attention to our games, you could visibly tell the difference and the mix.

Sorry, don't listen to the press conferences. Did watch all of Bama's games on the T.V., though. The game announcers and producers even had it wrong every week when they got a bunch of great shots of Major's mug on the TV of him setting in the pressbox, supposedly calling plays.

Like I said I watched all the games.......I have no clue what Pendry looks like. If I saw the back of Applewhite's head in Burger King, I would know exactly who that is.

You need to take off the crimson glasses when you read. I read a post today by a bama guy who said he was so glad that Applewhite left because now maybe the new OC would demote JPW and he would transfer.

Even the kinder posters are saying MA was a nice guy but should have never been hired as the OC because he didn't have the right experience. The most interesting comment of all is Saban saying in his press conference that "Applewhite leaving is part of the process of bama getting to the right staff." Ah, that old process, the new bama excuse for everything.

You need to take off the crimson glasses when you read. I read a post today by a bama guy who said he was so glad that Applewhite left because now maybe the new OC would demote JPW and he would transfer.

Even the kinder posters are saying MA was a nice guy but should have never been hired as the OC because he didn't have the right experience. The most interesting comment of all is Saban saying in his press conference that "Applewhite leaving is part of the process of bama getting to the right staff." Ah, that old process, the new bama excuse for everything.

and you need to take off your orange and blue glasses.

1 guy = entire Alabama fanbase. it took you 2 whole days to come up with that. gotcha. :thumbsup:

1 guy = entire Alabama fanbase. it took you 2 whole days to come up with that. gotcha. :thumbsup:

If you think it's one person and it took me two days you are extremely naive. You obviously aren't spending much time on bama boards because you are always here. And you say "gotcha"? The only thing you got is that little thing you are playing pocket pool with :poke:

I tried to tell the Bama fans that CMA would be the scapegoat for this season before the it even started. The great Oz said so. B)

Furthermore the ENTIRE FANBASE or at least the percentage that I ever interact with puffed their chest about what an offensive mastermind Major Asswhipe was. I never once heard Pendry's name or even knew he existed until Applewhite left you guys for a demotion. Then suddenly he was the real genius. Applewhite was just in the driver's ed car. Pendry was controlling it with the wheel, gas, and breaks on his side. :rolleyes:

Archived