Applewhite to Texas (MERGED THREADS)

Auburnfan91

Major Applewhite is said to be interviewing for the Offensive Backs coach tomorrow. Hey Applewhite be sure to give Muschamp the big :thumbsup: when you see him. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

Damn, Mack Brown is raiding the state of our assistant coaches.

Muschamp's move was lateral, why would Major take a step down? I guess working with Saban isn't that peachy keen or maybe Applewhite wants to beat ULM once in a while.

It would be tough to pass up any coaching job to your alma mater.

Even if said alma mater continued to employ a jackass coach who divested you of your starting job because the new guy had a famous name?

Even if said alma mater continued to employ a jackass coach who divested you of your starting job because the new guy had a famous name?

That is exactly what I was thinking!

I always thought Applewhite ran the Texas offense better then Chris Simms did. I can understand him wanting to coach at Texas because it is his alma mater, but I would have thought it would be tough for him to do it under the guy that took the job from him just because his dad was not a famous ex-NFL QB.

sabear has ZERO history of coach "retention". This will not be the last of the rats to jump from this loooong sinking ship.

I guess if the money is right, even that could be overlooked.

sabear has ZERO history of coach "retention". This will not be the last of the rats to jump from this loooong sinking ship.

I have been told by someone with ties to the old coachnig staff that CNS has already offered a job for the lb coach. Heard that one more may be leaving on his own as well.

i read on one idiot bammer board where someone defended applewhite for wanting to go to texas. one of the resident turds chimed in with, "he only went there because we didn't offer him."

Dallas Morning News

Source: Applewhite could join Texas staff

11:38 PM CST on Monday, January 14, 2008

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

chipbrown@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – Alabama offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Major Applewhite could be the assistant coach Mack Brown picks to fill the vacancy on his staff created by the reassignment of running backs coach Ken Rucker, according to a source close to the Texas program.

The source said Brown has talked to several people about the vacancy but that Applewhite, 29, is in the mix. The source was unclear about what role Applewhite would have on the Texas staff, considering Brown has been fiercely loyal to offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Greg Davis, who remains a mentor to Applewhite.

The Tuscaloosa News reported Monday that Applewhite would be interviewing with Brown.

Applewhite, the all-time leading passer at UT, was a graduate assistant at Texas before joining Greg Robinson as quarterbacks coach at Syracuse in 2005. Applewhite was the offensive coordinator under Todd Graham at Rice in 2006 and was the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Alabama under Nick Saban last season.

Applewhite set UT's all-time passing record with 8,353 yards from 1998 to 2001. He set the season passing record in 1999 with 3,357 yards.

His star rose among Texas fans as a redshirt freshman, when he led the Longhorns to a victory at Nebraska, ending the Cornhuskers' 47-game home winning streak.

The vacancy on the staff was created when Rucker changed assignments to to become director of high school relations and player development.

Austin Statesman

Source: Applewhite to Horns a 'done deal'

Popular former QB would likely become Horns' running backs coach if he leaves offensive coordinator's position with Alabama

By Suzanne Halliburton , Kirk Bohls

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Major Applewhite, one of the most popular Longhorn football players in school history, will interview today with coach Mack Brown about an opening on the Texas staff.

Applewhite, 29, is offensive coordinator for Alabama. The opening on Brown's staff is for a running backs coach. Ken Rucker, who coached running backs for the past three seasons, was moved last week to a newly created post, directing high school relations and player development.

"I think it's a done deal," a source close to Applewhite said Monday. "They wouldn't have contacted him if they weren't close to hiring him."

A Texas official said Brown was on the road recruiting Monday and was unavailable to comment. He did say there has been no deal reached between the Longhorns and Applewhite.

Applewhite's wife, Julie, will accompany him to Austin. A decision could come as soon as midweek.

Applewhite has helped Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban secure what might be one of the best recruiting classes in the country. Applewhite helped win the commitment of Star Jackson, one of the country's top 10-rated quarterback prospects.

Applewhite, who played for Texas from 1998-2001, still owns the school record for most passing yards in a season (3,357) and career (8,353). He served two years as a graduate assistant at Texas, working with the offensive line, before leaving in 2005 to become an assistant at Syracuse. He then became the youngest offensive coordinator in the country when he served a one-year stint with Rice in 2006.

Saban hired him at Alabama in 2007. Applewhite is earning $250,000 as offensive coordinator for the Crimson Tide, although offensive line coach Joe Pendry, Saban's assistant head coach, also is in charge of game plans. According to the Birmingham News, Applewhite has a two-year contract with a $50,000 buyout.

Brown has been busy retooling his staff since the Longhorns won the Holiday Bowl on Dec. 27. He hired Auburn's Will Muschamp as defensive coordinator on Jan. 4, two days after Larry Mac Duff resigned. The position Rucker accepted was posted Jan. 3.

UT secondary coach Duane Akina was thought to be a candidate for the head coaching job at Hawaii, but ESPN.com reported Monday that the Warriors will promote their defensive coordinator, Greg McMackin, to the job.

shalliburton@statesman.com, 445-3954; kbohls@statesman.com, 445-3722

Does this mean that CNS is thinking of changing to the "spread" as well? Guess he has to find a way to compete with us. ;):big:

i didn't really think it would happen, but it looks like it probably will. if thats whats best for him and his family, then more power to him and thanks to him for his services. why we decided to mix Pendry's offense in with his, i'll never know, but hopefully things work out for him at Texas if he decides to go.

Anybody else expect to hear "in a surprise move, Chris Simms named RB coach for UT"?

:roflol:

Does this mean that CNS is thinking of changing to the "spread" as well? Guess he has to find a way to compete with us. ;):big:

CMA's base offense is a spread offense. however, Pendry is known for a pro-style offense. the offense for 07 was really an ugly mix of the two. so i'm not really sure what you're trying to say there.

If Applewhite does leave, it will be a good thing for Alabama

Was never impressed with him this year.

Offense wasn't spread nor did I like a lot of his calls

too much of a Pendry influence, really. he was probably a little irritated with how the "co-OC" deal was working out. when you take a game like the TN game where we ran a true spread nearly the whole time and blew it up, then you see other games with more of a pro-set and we struggle.....i would probably be a little upset too.

too much of a Pendry influence, really. he was probably a little irritated with how the "co-OC" deal was working out. when you take a game like the TN game where we ran a true spread nearly the whole time and blew it up, then you see other games with more of a pro-set and we struggle.....i would probably be a little upset too.

So are you saying that you lost the better half of the Co-OC's? Who do you think will want to come in and be the other half now?

So are you saying that you lost the better half of the Co-OC's? Who do you think will want to come in and be the other half now?

honestly i think having 2 OCs is a bad idea. now, in CMA's case maybe they felt that it was needed because he was so green. i don't know. really i doubt they will go after anybody, Pendry would simply be the OC. i'm not so sure i would be too thrilled about that, but who knows. i guess i would have to see a few games with him 100% calling it to make a completely informed decision.

I'm not mad at Major, never will be, but I'm pissed at the situation. I'd love it if we could get someone that knows what the hell they are doing, so when we are on offense I don't get so g'damn mad.

Archived