Any news on McClain

Orange_and_Blue

McClain told the Auburn coaches he had decided on Tenn. and that was the end of it. Pure and simple,we lost him to UT. You win some and lose some, everybody but bama that is.....anybody they lose they never offered in the first place.

Uhhh, no.

Its a grades thing. CTT and the rest of the staff do not believe in recruiting or signing JUCO offensive linemen. New NCAA rules are going to make it very hard for kids to go the Prep school route from now on (I've heard people state that this will be the "death of Prep athletics"). Barring a miracle, McClain will be JUCO bound. We dont recruit JUCO OL, therefore we stopped pursuing McClain. By all indications when McClain took his official we found out that his grades were worse than we originally thought, and that he was going backwards instead of forwards in terms of his academic eligibility.

McClain told the Auburn coaches he had decided on Tenn. and that was the end of it. Pure and simple,we lost him to UT. You win some and lose some, everybody but bama that is.....anybody they lose they never offered in the first place.

Uhhh, no.

Its a grades thing. CTT and the rest of the staff do not believe in recruiting or signing JUCO offensive linemen. New NCAA rules are going to make it very hard for kids to go the Prep school route from now on (I've heard people state that this will be the "death of Prep athletics"). Barring a miracle, McClain will be JUCO bound. We dont recruit JUCO OL, therefore we stopped pursuing McClain. By all indications when McClain took his official we found out that his grades were worse than we originally thought, and that he was going backwards instead of forwards in terms of his academic eligibility.

i've seen alot of people ask how it could be grades when AU signed a bunch of sign and place guys for this class. why does AU not recruit a JUCO OL, but they seem to not mind recruiting JUCO at nearly any other position? not trying to be a smartass, i have just honestly never heard of something like that before.

McClain told the Auburn coaches he had decided on Tenn. and that was the end of it. Pure and simple,we lost him to UT.

It happened a while back. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Uhhh, no.

i've seen alot of people ask how it could be grades when AU signed a bunch of sign and place guys for this class. why does AU not recruit a JUCO OL, but they seem to not mind recruiting JUCO at nearly any other position? not trying to be a smartass, i have just honestly never heard of something like that before.

Yea, I agree with you on this one. Metafour is usually pretty reliable with recruit information. But it does seem odd that we wouldn't recruit JUCO OL. Sounds kind of "message board ish" stuff to me. Or an excuse.

Uhhh, no.

It takes more than 2 years to develope a good offensive lineman who may have been "ok" before JUCO. I think it may be that, but I am not for sure. Just a guess.

Uhhh, no.

Linemen in particular tend to need time to develop. When you recruit a JUCO player who only has 3 years to play 2 of eligibility that player needs to be able to contribute/start right away otherwise you are just wasting a scholarship. Other positions play multiple players throughout the course of the year, but in terms of the OL you rarely sub players in, so there is no point in having a JUCO OL come in and ride the bench (whereas with other positions the JUCO player can at least contribute...a JUCO RB doesn't need to start to contribute, same thing with DB, LB, etc. because you rotate players at these positions). Its just a personal preference. I dont know the exact reasoning, but my best guess is that our coaching staff doesn't see the point upside in recruiting a JUCO OL with severely limited eligibility.

If you dont believe me, look back. In 7+ years under CTT we have never signed a JUCO offensive lineman. Nor have we signed and placed an OL in JUCO who we planned to re-sign (Brandon Earl from last year doesn't count because his sign-and-place was a favor made to his HS coach, we have no intention of resigning him).

Uhhh, no.

Linemen in particular tend to need time to develop. When you recruit a JUCO player who only has 3 years to play 2 of eligibility that player needs to be able to contribute/start right away otherwise you are just wasting a scholarship. Other positions play multiple players throughout the course of the year, but in terms of the OL you rarely sub players in, so there is no point in having a JUCO OL come in and ride the bench (whereas with other positions the JUCO player can at least contribute...a JUCO RB doesn't need to start to contribute, same thing with DB, LB, etc. because you rotate players at these positions). Its just a personal preference. I dont know the exact reasoning, but my best guess is that our coaching staff doesn't see the point upside in recruiting a JUCO OL with severely limited eligibility.

If you dont believe me, look back. In 7+ years under CTT we have never signed a JUCO offensive lineman. Nor have we signed and placed an OL in JUCO who we planned to re-sign (Brandon Earl from last year doesn't count because his sign-and-place was a favor made to his HS coach, we have no intention of resigning him).

i don't disbelieve you, i had just honestly never heard that before.

Archived