Has bama Finally Got An OC?

Proud Tiger

I was hoping they would get the guy from Rutgers. That would have been good for at least a few McNutty jokes.

Trust me, this guy will be provide a lot of good laughs in 08'. B)

Looks like they found the next genius.

Link

Barring a last-minute change of heart, Jim McElwain is leaving Fresno State to become the new offensive coordinator at the University of Alabama.

A news conference is set for tomorrow morning at Fresno State, where McElwain and head coach Pat Hill will address the situation.

In one season with the Bulldogs, McElwain became a fan favorite by devising an offensive scheme that got the most out of the team's personnel.

While I tend to believe this, it's not as if local media outlets have a great record these days of reporting coaching changes (e.g., CTT to Arkansas, per Arkansas news reports)

I was hoping they would get the guy from Rutgers. That would have been good for at least a few McNutty jokes.

Hey bud, we can be just as optimistic as you about new OC's!!!!

Yeah, you guys have a lot more practice at it.

Yeah, you guys have a lot more practice at it.

Sadly, that is oh so true.

Doesn't seem anyone really cares. Where is the hoopla and breaking news reports?

There's no hoopla for a hire when it was the 5th or 6th choice.

As long as Pendry is there, it'll be more of the same my brother. It's Nallsminger at its finest. Pendry and Saban will develop the game plan and this guy will call plays. How can you be optimistic when the decision makers of last year are still in place with less talent on that side of the ball?

Read em' and weep.

Posted by Ian R. Rapoport January 30, 2008 10:21 AM

Categories: Football

No more wondering now: Alabama hires Fresno State offensive coordinator Jim McElwain. Here are the first few paragraphs of the release I just received in my email box:

ALABAMA HEAD COACH NICK SABAN HIRES JIM MCELWAIN AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama head coach Nick Saban announced the hiring of Jim McElwain as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Wednesday. McElwain served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Fresno State last year after spending the 2006 season in the NFL as quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders. McElwain made an immediate impact in his first season at Fresno State as he helped lead the Bulldogs to a 9-4 record, a significant turnaround from the previous year in which Fresno State posted a 4-8 mark.

"Jim is a phenomenal coach and we are thrilled to have him on board," said Alabama head coach Nick Saban. "He did an outstanding job last year at Fresno State. Their improvement on offense, especially in the play of their quarterback, was tremendous."

McElwain's offense at Fresno State averaged 419.5 yards per game (38th nationally) and 32.9 points per game (32nd) last season. That was a significant increase from the 2006 campaign when the Bulldogs averaged 338.2 yards per game in total offense and 23.0 points per game in terms of scoring offense. After Fresno State rolled up 571 yards of total offense and defeated Georgia Tech 40-28 in the Humanitarian Bowl, McElwain moved up to No. 18 in the Rivals.com national power rankings (offensive coaches). His quarterback, Tom Brandstater, finished 2007 with a passing efficiency rating of 140.5, which ranked 23rd in the country. Brandstater showed remarkable improvement under McElwain's watch as he had posted a pass efficiency rating of 106.7 (89th) the previous year.

"I'm excited as heck about the opportunity to join the staff at the University of Alabama," said McElwain. "I'm looking forward to the challenge and I'm ready to hit the ground running as soon as I arrive in Tuscaloosa. Coach Saban and his staff have the Alabama football program on the rise and I want to do my part to continue that momentum. I'm leaving a great place at Fresno State and appreciate all that Coach Hill, the players, the staff, and the fans did for me and my family while we were there."

McElwain served as the assistant head coach, receivers coach and special teams coach at Michigan State from 2003-05. The 2003 team reached the Alamo Bowl behind a receiving corps that set school records for receptions (312) and yards (3,510). He coached 2004 All-America punter Brandon Fields and kicker Dave Rayner, who led the Big Ten Conference in scoring. In 2005, five Spartan receivers had at least 28 receptions and the group combined to a set another school record with 24 touchdown catches.

"Jim is a great coach and I think he's going to be an outstanding head coach one day," said Fresno State head coach Pat Hill. "We've lost some good assistants over the years and our offensive coordinators have gone on and done well, including Jeff Tedford at Cal. That's the nature of the business. I never want to hold anyone back from better opportunities. Jim did a great job for us and we wish him and his family all the best."

Prior to his stint at Michigan State, McElwain spent three seasons (2000-02) at Louisville as the receivers coach and special teams coach as the Cardinals earned bowl bids in each of those three seasons. He coached four first team All-Conference USA selections at Louisville and also tutored three of the Cardinals' all-time leading receivers, including Deion Branch and Arnold Jackson.

From 1995-99, McElwain was the offensive coordinator, quarterbacks and receivers coach at Montana State. Under his direction, quarterback Rob Compson threw for nearly 7,000 career yards and a school-record 54 touchdowns. McElwain also coached the Bobcats' all-time leading receiver Chip Hobbs, who caught 144 career passes for 2,060 yards and 18 TDs. Montana State led the Big Sky Conference in scoring in 1998, averaging 31.6 points per game.

McElwain was at Eastern Washington from 1985-94 in a variety of capacities, starting as a graduate assistant and working his way up to quarterbacks and receivers coach. The Eagles made two NCAA Division I-AA playoff appearances (1992 and 1995) and earned a share of the Big Sky Championship in 1992. McElwain coached EWU's all-time leading receiver, Tony Brooks (2,969 career yards), who earned third team AP All-America honors in 1993.

I CANNOT wait to play them again next year. I have always looked forward to the Iron Bowl but now I just look forward to embarassing them year after year. WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I was reading some of the Bama boards back when the search first started and this guy's name came up then. The general consensus among the board was that this would be a last resort hire (of course this was back when they were thinking they would get Norm Chow). I haven't had a chance to see if they are singing a different song now that he's their guy.

This hire is temporary in any case. After a year of saban abuse he will be looking elsewhere.

Welcome to the SEC, interesting that his impact on his team was bigger than saban's.

"Jim is a phenomenal coach and we are thrilled to have him on board," said Alabama head coach Nick Saban. "He did an outstanding job last year at Fresno State. Their improvement on offense, especially in the play of their quarterback, was tremendous."

Old Saint Nick never misses a chance to take a shot at one of his players, does he? :no::no::no:

As long as Pendry is there, it'll be more of the same my brother.

+1

A wise man gave me that bit of info. B)

Old Saint Nick never misses a chance to take a shot at one of his players, does he? :no::no::no:

How is that a shot? The dude from Fresno went from 15-13 to 15-3 or 5, I forget, in td to int's. That aint too shabby in my opinion.

How is that a shot? The dude from Fresno went from 15-13 to 15-3 or 5, I forget, in td to int's. That aint too shabby in my opinion.

Your right, it had nothing to do with Fresno being in a rebuilding year. <_<

Has anyone seen a picture of this genius? He looks like the offspring of Jimmy Carter and the banjo player from Deliverance.

Gump

Oh yeah, I forgot that JPW is Saint Saban's golden boy so he is a fantastic QB and no suggestions to the fans that Alabama's pathetic QB play will improve were intened.

Has anyone seen a picture of this genius? He looks like the offspring of Jimmy Carter and the banjo player from Deliverance.

Gump

Tony "Guru" Franklin isn't exactly Fabio, either...... :poke: What, now its, "My coach is better lookin"? Funny coming from somebody with "Ears" as their head coach. Also, if "he is funny looking" is the best argument you can come up with, I'm pretty satisfied with the hire.....

tubb1.jpgTOMMY-TUBERVILLE05.jpg

Tony "Guru" Franklin isn't exactly Fabio, either...... :poke: What, now its, "My coach is better lookin"? Funny coming from somebody with "Ears" as their head coach. Also, if "he is funny looking" is the best argument you can come up with, I'm pretty satisfied with the hire.....

If you're happy, we're happy.

I was personally pulling for McNulty, just for the jokes.

Gump

Just from reading your posts over the past few days, I've came to the conclusion that you have a man crush on Tony "Guru" Franklin. If not, you sure like to type his name at every chance you get. :moon:

Gump

Just from reading your posts over the past few days, I've came to the conclusion that you have a man crush on Tony "Guru" Franklin. If not, you sure like to type his name at every chance you get. :moon:

No, just think it is hilarious how some guy from Troy and Kentucky is Bear Bryant, but someone we hire is an idiot. Consider the audience, I guess......

Archived