How do you feel that this year's recruits

AUman43

the negative spin many have placed on this year's class. Personally, I think they will take it personally and try to overcome the PERCEPTION that they are less talented than Bammer's class. Traditionally, Auburn has responded better when they were "put down" and overlooked. If this should be the case, then look for a stronger Auburn team and one that works harder to overcome that perception. It's certainly one Tubs COULD use to motivate them.

I've thought about that and hope for the same outcome. The slight difference to other similar situations is it wasn't some of the Auburn fans generating that perception, it was the local and national media. Most "experts" know that this was a good class that met our needs very well, and have said so.

I don't know how much they'll think about it, but I certainly don't think it would hurt for the coaches use it as a motivational tool occasionally, or post a few of the articles trashing them in the locker room.

I don't know how much it will affect them, for a few reasons:

1.By the time they get on campus, the only recruiting talk will be on next year's class

2. No one is "personally" being called out that they are not good players, most of the attacks are centered around people Auburn didn't get it, not who they did get.

3. There's not a lot of pressure on this group, the talent is already in place, by the time the majority of them start producing, the class will be so disjointed its tough to pinpoint who exactly is from this class.

I don't know how much it will affect them, for a few reasons:

1.By the time they get on campus, the only recruiting talk will be on next year's class

2. No one is "personally" being called out that they are not good players, most of the attacks are centered around people Auburn didn't get it, not who they did get.

3. There's not a lot of pressure on this group, the talent is already in place, by the time the majority of them start producing, the class will be so disjointed its tough to pinpoint who exactly is from this class.

Agreed.

I've thought about that and hope for the same outcome. The slight difference to other similar situations is it wasn't some of the Auburn fans generating that perception, it was the local and national media. Most "experts" know that this was a good class that met our needs very well, and have said so.

"experts" ??? link please, and if you give me a link that sends me to an AU writer it in no way is unbiased. Let's be real here, we have a good class. A top 20 class is good, but I don't see a lot of writers harpin praise on us.

"experts" ??? link please, and if you give me a link that sends me to an AU writer it in no way is unbiased. Let's be real here, we have a good class. A top 20 class is good, but I don't see a lot of writers harpin praise on us.

Please, just because the recruiting gurus aren't slobbering all over this class doesn't mean they think it was a bad year. Most everything I heard from supposedly knowlegable sources stated that this class has talent and meets our needs VERY well.

The only thing that bothers me about the negativity toward our recruiting class is that a lot of it now seems to be coming from within. If it was just the Finebaums of the world making an issue of it, I think the kids would just consider the source and move on. I hope they don't pick up on what seems to me to be alot of undue criticism from within Auburn circles. If anything could have a negative impact on them, that would do it.

This was a post from the board about what Lindy, as in Lindy's Magazine, thinks about our class. I don't have the link for his actual site but you can find the thread Here

He says some pretty good stuff that I think most "rational" fans feel about the class!!

Check out yesterday's Miami Herald. Their writer that covers the Gators thinks a lot of this Auburn class.

Also, writers don't "harp" praise. You say you're a student, look up the term you were searching for.

Check out yesterday's Miami Herald. Their writer that covers the Gators thinks a lot of this Auburn class.

Also, writers don't "harp" praise. You say you're a student, look up the term you were searching for.

Link?!?!?

Link?!?!?

This may be it. May have to click on Auburn - it's the first stop on the writer's tour. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gator_claus...iting-tour.html

Freakin fantastic article. No bias, just straight shooting and good reporting. I don't think Auburn OR Alabama has anywhere near that good of reporting. I love Phil Marshall, but he's been known to drink the kool aid a little too much sometimes.

However, it'd be interesting to see how this guy writes about his Gators. Sometimes it really takes someone from the outside to do good honest reporting.

Also didn't know Auburn was the closest school to Florida. 311 miles, obv its a one-way street.

I'm no recruiting guru or guru of anything for that matter, but my take on this class from both schools is this.

First AU's class.

You guys had a bit of a shock to the system this year. Obviously your coaching staff knew it was coming.

They may have not know positively who would sign for sure but they did have a damn good idea of what was happening through out the year. You also had a couple of last minute defections that hurt. IMHO that was your head coaches fault for not closing on those couple guys. I know you can't get everyone and sometime this does happen. You can't control it but the fault should ''LIE'' (that's for PT :P ) on the head coach.

Ok, saying that ,what is clear is that there are a few reason this class wasn't sexy in the media and fan bases eyes. The biggest reason was ,again my opinion only , your class was completely overshadowed by a phenominal job the Alabama staff did. Not only did this class shock AU but it took quite a few by surprise. It may not be a popular opinion but I think it is on the money.

I'm not diminishing what you guys got. You simply went out and got players of need. It ain't a ''sexy'' media catching accomplishment but quite frankly it's exactly what you should have and needed to do. That's fact. There is nothing wrong with the talent AU picked up. It just happened that this year you grabed what you needed. Ask anyone who knows and If they tell the truth they will agree that it is a damn fine position to be in. I certainly don't take this position your in lightly.

Now the Bama class, where to start, OK, ( #1 in the Nation) ,Sorry had to . For what ever reason ,early play time, outstanding job by Saban and staff, out worked, whatever you want to hang it on, we signed a class hearalded by almost every reputable outlet as the best in the nation. Balk or make excuses all you want . If you are honest about it you would admit that it was an amazing feat to accomplish considering the facts and what was stacked against this staff. Those being this Alabama coaching staff was up against a staff from AU that with a head coach who had entrenched himself in the state and did quite well for 10 years. The ties and relationships were developed long before Saban had ever even considered coaching anywhere in the area.

Also coming from a 7 and 6 season with losses from AU for the 6th time( that's for you guys :puke: ),Miss.St.,ULM. to name a few. That speaks volumes about what happened.

Will this happen again? Probably not this year and who knows maybe never. What I will say is with Saban as the head coach could it happen again? Yes it could. I don't think to many people will bet against him on the recruiting front again. That's a good position for us to be in. Bottom line is given the odds against Bama and the recruiting by needs of AU that's why it looks so lopsided and ,again ,''sexy'' in the media and fans eyes.

Any time any school,I say again any school regardless who or where they are located lands the #1 class in the nation by so many different professionals eyes it speaks loudly. Anyone can write it off as luck,or any number of excuses but the truth is it was a marvelous accomplishment.

To cap it off, both schools did exactly what they needed to do and both will benefit greatly from the jobs each staff did.

As far as the question, No this negative stuff won't affect the next class or even this class AU landed.

the negative spin many have placed on this year's class. Personally, I think they will take it personally and try to overcome the PERCEPTION that they are less talented than Bammer's class. Traditionally, Auburn has responded better when they were "put down" and overlooked. If this should be the case, then look for a stronger Auburn team and one that works harder to overcome that perception. It's certainly one Tubs COULD use to motivate them.

AU finished #20 in Rivals ranking

They didn't finish #200

Having a great year win wise in 2008 will cure most if any problems recruiting wise, imo, as long as the staff works hard on the recruiting trail

Archived