State-compelled speech

TitanTiger

That's what it amounts to when a photographer is forced to accept a job to shoot photos at a lesbian "wedding" against her conscience and beliefs or be fined $6000:

The New Mexico Human Rights Commission has ordered a Christian photographer to pay $6,600 for declining to photograph a commitment ceremony between two lesbians.

The complaint against Elane Photography was filed by Vanessa Willcock, one of the two women in the union.

Elane Photography is small photography studio owned by Jon and Elaine Huguenin, a husband-and-wife team who are devout evangelical Christians and refused to photograph the same-sex ceremony for reasons of religious conscience...

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../598186889/1002

What is it with the increasing sentiment that you can't simply leave gay and lesbian people alone, you have to acknowledge and affirm their life choices?

Along with the state getting into the realm of telling what kind of business a photographer may decline.

Hmmmmm....let's see. You're an A-level photographer in Taos. The telephone rings.

"Hello."

"Yes, I'd like for you to take a photo of my child."

"Ma'am, I'm not that kind of photographer. I do landscapes..."

"Well, it says here in the Yellow Pages that you're a photographer."

"Yes, but..."

"What do you have against children? Or is it because my daughter is 1/16th Hopi Indian?"

"What! Look, I take pictures of mesas and desert vistas and..."

"That's it! I'm calling the cops."

Archived