Sylla Transferring

PChamp119

Per Rivals... Boubacar Sylla, the tallest AU player ever leaves after 1 year...

and the excuses on the '08-'09 season begin...

... now

I didn't see Bouba playing much this year anyways... With Vot and Dollard down low... And then having Lett (who is apparently a beast on the boards) and Gabriel (top 150 player)... the opportunity for much playing time next year and possibly the coming years with Chubb coming in...

Not an excuse just facts...

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../051908aaa.html

Auburn's Boubacar Sylla To Transfer To Wyoming

The 7'1" center saw limited action during the 2007-2008 campaign.

May 19, 2008

AUBURN - Freshman center Boubacar Sylla has been granted a release from his scholarship at Auburn University and will transfer to the University of Wyoming, head coach Jeff Lebo announced Monday.

Sylla appeared in only three games before suffering a stress fracture in his ankle against Kennesaw State Nov. 13. The 7-foot-1, 270-pound native of Paris, France, averaged 1.0 point and 1.0 rebound in 4.3 minutes per game. He shot 50 percent from the field.

"Boubacar had a very difficult first year at Auburn University," Lebo said. "Along with his season-ending injury, Boubacar had a hard time adjusting to Auburn."

Sylla totaled eight points, six rebounds and two steals in an exhibition vs. Bluefield College and had three points and three rebounds in nine minutes vs. Kennesaw State before his injury.

NOTE: Pchamp's streak of consecutive days as a tool is still going strong at 9,222...

This is more of the same. Defections happen in year one or two, this is beyond ridiculous at this point. Either he makes the NCAA's this year or we need to move on. We can't cry for excellence in baseball and settle for mediocrity in basketball.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../051908aaa.html

Auburn's Boubacar Sylla To Transfer To Wyoming

The 7'1" center saw limited action during the 2007-2008 campaign.

May 19, 2008

AUBURN - Freshman center Boubacar Sylla has been granted a release from his scholarship at Auburn University and will transfer to the University of Wyoming, head coach Jeff Lebo announced Monday.

Sylla appeared in only three games before suffering a stress fracture in his ankle against Kennesaw State Nov. 13. The 7-foot-1, 270-pound native of Paris, France, averaged 1.0 point and 1.0 rebound in 4.3 minutes per game. He shot 50 percent from the field.

"Boubacar had a very difficult first year at Auburn University," Lebo said. "Along with his season-ending injury, Boubacar had a hard time adjusting to Auburn."

Sylla totaled eight points, six rebounds and two steals in an exhibition vs. Bluefield College and had three points and three rebounds in nine minutes vs. Kennesaw State before his injury.

NOTE: Pchamp's streak of consecutive days as a tool is still going strong at 9,222...

:roflol::roflol:

If he had trouble adjusting to Auburn, I wonder if he's ever been to Laramie?

That's really funny. And yes what a random transfer. By the way was the reason playing time?

All the transfers are getting ridiculous

That's really funny. And yes what a random transfer. By the way was the reason playing time?

I don't think it would be the town or the school he's having problems with. Could it be . . . .?

It might be the year to win or else.

I don't think it would be the town or the school he's having problems with. Could it be . . . .?

It might be the year to win or else.

Nope, attrition is normal remember <_< .

I'm going to freakin scream next season when people are blaming lack of depth. I just don't see how this is different from the baseball team where most were screaming from the rooftops to fire him. Lebo has had ample time to put a winning product on the court and he has failed to do so.

Wasn't Mamadou about 11 feet tall, how is Boubacar the tallest player ever at Auburn?

Doesn't matter that much, Mamadou with Boubacar on his shoulders would weigh about 250. Good luck to Boubacar.

I expect Lebo to be successful this year-- no excuses. That said, I'm not too concerned about this transfer. This guy was always a project and probably would not have been a force. If he was in great demand, he wouldn't be headed to Laramie.

ARE YOU FRICKIN KIDDING ME?! Seriously. Why? Why? What the heck is going on with our B-ball program? What is Lebo doing that is running off so many? Boubacar was only in his 3rd year of playing basketball. He was a project. However, 7'1" is an easy project to take on. He hurt himself 3 games in, and COULDN'T expect playing time, so THAT can't be it.

Who's got the Lebo Voodoo doll?

Oh, stop being such a panty waist. We've got Vot and Dollard coming back. With two All-Americ....uh, two All-SE...nope...uummm...two guys like that returning, who needs a 7'1" center coming off the bench?

This is beyond ridiculous. Dewayne Curtis, Marco Killingsworth, Lewis Monroe, Tony Douglas.....that's just the first year or two. No NCAA since 2003. It's this year or time to change.

This guy was always a project and probably would not have been a force. If he was in great demand, he wouldn't be headed to Laramie.

I don't dispute your assertion as fact, but I do wish to point out that his absence last season was consistently used as one reason we did so poorly.

This guy was always a project and probably would not have been a force. If he was in great demand, he wouldn't be headed to Laramie.

I don't dispute your assertion as fact, but I do wish to point out that his absence last season was consistently used as one reason we did so poorly.

bingo

One of many. The guy would've been a HUGE help.

I am an Auburn Alum living in Laramie. The last time I saw an AU Men's Basketball game Chris Porter was still playing so it has been a while. With that said the Wyoming fan support for basketball is much greater than the fan support for basketball in Auburn (for football, Auburn wins hand down). There is a new coaching staff here, and from what I understand they heavily recruited Sylla when they were in Fresno State. The excitement of a young coaching staff and great fans versus disgruntled fans and a coach who has just never seemed to fit in at AU surely played a role in Sylla's decision. Wyoming, like Auburn, had a disappointing season this year. Hopefully both schools will do much better next year. Athletics aside, there are actually quite a few similarities between the University of Wyoming and Auburn, and if you like cold weather Laramie is a great place to live! :au:

War Eagle and Go Pokes!

I am an Auburn Alum living in Laramie. The last time I saw an AU Men's Basketball game Chris Porter was still playing so it has been a while. With that said the Wyoming fan support for basketball is much greater than the fan support for basketball in Auburn (for football, Auburn wins hand down). There is a new coaching staff here, and from what I understand they heavily recruited Sylla when they were in Fresno State. The excitement of a young coaching staff and great fans versus disgruntled fans and a coach who has just never seemed to fit in at AU surely played a role in Sylla's decision. Wyoming, like Auburn, had a disappointing season this year. Hopefully both schools will do much better next year. Athletics aside, there are actually quite a few similarities between the University of Wyoming and Auburn, and if you like cold weather Laramie is a great place to live! :au:

War Eagle and Go Pokes!

Why do you say that Lebo just never seemed to fit in at AU? Because it's basketball and we aren't a basketball school?

On the positive side, we're getting a transfer from OU. Philip Marshall and Sports Call just made the announcement.

Marshall also had the comment that losing Sylla wasn't that bad as far as impact. The concern is he was the only remaining player on the 2007 recruiting class. Even if this year goes well, which it should, we'll be in another pinch next year.

I go to every home basketball game and my Dad who never goes to games (but is a regular reader of these forums) asked me all season about Sylla and the last 2 seasons about Heramb. I always told him the same thing. Heramb is never going to be any help to this basketball team. He can look decent against teams like Alabama State and Mercer, but he is ridiculously over matched when facing any SEC foes. He seemed to lose confidence and really looked lost most of the time in these games. He got much more playing time over the past two seasons than he ever would have if it were not for suspensions and injuries. He will be a good fit for Kennesaw State. I don't believe he ever would be a D1 player of any note. I then told my Dad that I don't think Sylla will ever be much help to Auburn. He is a project in every sense of the word. He would be able to block some shots and cause players to change their shot, he would pull down a few boards, and he could set picks and free up some scorers to get some open looks. To me that was a best case scenario for Sylla. His footwork was absolutely awful and that is why I think he got hurt at the very beginning of the season. The elite big men of the SEC would have career games against him and the average big men would also make him look terrible. He simply would not have been able to defend anybody. He would have been a little help this season just to give Quan Prowell a rest and keep Matt Heramb off the floor. Sylla will probably have a little more success in the Mountain West Conference than he would have had in the SEC, but I would be shocked if he turns out to be a player of in a little significance for Wyoming. Also, Lebo has certainly had his share of transfers, but the numbers are very similar at many schools including Alabama, LSU, and Tennessee.

Couldn't disagree more on Sylla. The guy's played very little basketball and some seem to think the guy can't improve...or is it that Lebo can't teach this guy any skills? Sorry, but even if he is a project, you can teach a 7'1" athlete to play defense. As was stated, oh sure, he'll block some shots and pull down some rebounds, but....

But what? Who said he'd be a starter and go all game against the SEC's best? (Which ain't very good by the way) Coming in for 5-10 minutes each half and getting those rebounds and blocking those shots while giving those studs, Dollard and Vot a rest is exactly what you'd love to see. Or should we put in another 6'4" freshman?

I'm with you. 15 to 20 solid minutes a game with some decent defense and a few rebounds is what I would have expected from Sylla by his senior season with improvement each season along the way. I just think that many people complaining about his transfer expected a lot more from him being that he is 7'1". I saw him from the beginning. I happened to be in Beard Eaves when the team was practicing last summer for that trip to Mexico and I went to the Bluefield College game and the Kennesaw State game (the one when he got injured) and I can assure you that Sylla's basketball skills were practically nonexistent. Still, you can't coach or teach someone to be over 7 feet tall so I do agree he was a project that would improve and contribute a little.

I'm with you. 15 to 20 solid minutes a game with some decent defense and a few rebounds is what I would have expected from Sylla by his senior season with improvement each season along the way. I just think that many people complaining about his transfer expected a lot more from him being that he is 7'1". I saw him from the beginning. I happened to be in Beard Eaves when the team was practicing last summer for that trip to Mexico and I went to the Bluefield College game and the Kennesaw State game (the one when he got injured) and I can assure you that Sylla's basketball skills were practically nonexistent. Still, you can't coach or teach someone to be over 7 feet tall so I do agree he was a project that would improve and contribute a little.

Agreed

Archived