Obama begins VP search process

RunInRed

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

(CNN) — Barack Obama is quietly beginning his search for a running mate.

A veteran Democratic activist in Washington confirms to CNN's John King that former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson has accepted Obama's request for him to begin a screening/selection process for the No. 2 spot.

Johnson performed the same role in 2004 and 1984 for then-Democratic presidential nominees John Kerry and Walter Mondale.

The activist, a party operative who has been involved in democratic presidential campaigns and conventions dating back more than 20 years, said it was his information that the process was "at a very early point but that within the campaign itself they have been informally thinking about it for awhile."

I agree that for him, Edwards is definitely the best choice. The campaign is going to try and place him as far to the left as possible, while McCain appeals to the midline voters. By putting someone closer to the middle in (Edwards), Obama can appeal to this same group.

With that said, I don't think either side should expect or hope for a landslide.

With that said, I don't think either side should expect or hope for a landslide.

An electoral landslide is definitely possible. One in the popular vote is unlikely, though.

It could have happened in 2004. Take away a couple of thousand votes from Kerry in NH, WI, and PA and Bush gets over 300 EVs.

Edwards...no. He needs some one with more experience, particularly foreign policy. Hagel and Biden both come to mind.

I would love to see him pick edwards.

So true. Two empty suits together. Makes me giddy.

Archived