Fox News: Obama's "baby mama"

WinCrimson

What can I say? Could this be any more blatantly bigoted and racist? A "Baby Mama" is someone that has a child outside of a committed relationship. How long have the Obamas been MARRIED? And for anyone who wants to dismiss this, do you really think they'd ever call Cindy "McCain's Baby Mama?"

Beyond sickening. How some of you can profess to love that "news" network baffles me.

Link

storyfx7.jpg

Meh, I'm sure there are more than a few interpretations of that phrase.

And there are:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baby+mamma

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=+baby+mama

Racist?? Who the heck came up with the phrase?? It wasn't necessarily a white male, I'm just saying.

Did the actual content of the segment at all bother you??

And there are:

Racist?? Who the heck came up with the phrase?? It wasn't necessarily a white male, I'm just saying.

They used the second spelling you list. Click on that one for the supposed meaning.

C'mon, Stoic. When was the last time you saw a "news organization" use that term in reference to a candidate's wife?

McCain's Baby Mama stole drugs from her own non-profit organization-- not prosecuted, which made her particularly proud of her country.

Don't hold your breath for that one. :rolleyes:

And there are:

What bothers me is how intelligent folks such as yourself choose to make excuses and provide explanations for the inexcusable and unexplainable.

It's obvious what their intent was. "Baby mama?" You know exactly what's going on.

Fox News uses a slang term while other media outlets just make stuff up period. Just ask CBS and Dan Rather.

What I don't get is why liberals get so fired up about Fox and want to bash it anytime they can. I guess not having all of the mainstream media outlets in your pocket is not good enough huh?

FYI...I have heard Al Frankin and Bill Maher really say some classless thing about Bush's daughters when they were just teenagers, so please don't act like liberal talking aheads are above such things.

Thing is, nobody probably even paid attention to the comment until it got under some thin skinned blogger who brought it up. I have heard husbands jokingly refer to their wives with that term, so I don't see the big deal. Was it professional? No. Was it racist? Give me a break.

What can I say? Could this be any more blatantly bigoted and racist? A "Baby Mama" is someone that has a child outside of a committed relationship.

Let's break that down. A baby's momma.... The mother of a baby. Where in that statement does that imply the father is out of the picture?

Got anything more recent than Dan Rather 4 years ago getting duped? I'm sure you were equally upset by the fabricated Fox "Obama was schooled in a Madrassa" story.

You obviously didn't watch the news leading up the Iraq war. There is no true counterbalance to Fox, although some of the talking head shows on MSNBC are now counters to O'Reilly, etc-- they were the opposite until the Iraq war got more dicey-- ask Phil Donahue.

When James Carville gets to run his own network like Roger Ailes does, then we'll talk. It would really suck, though, and I wouldn't care to watch.

Franken and Mahrer are comedians, BTW.

Fox News uses a slang term while other media outlets just make stuff up period. Just ask CBS and Dan Rather.

What I don't get is why liberals get so fired up about Fox and want to bash it anytime they can. I guess not having all of the mainstream media outlets in your pocket is not good enough huh?

FYI...I have heard Al Frankin and Bill Maher really say some classless thing about Bush's daughters when they were just teenagers, so please don't act like liberal talking aheads are above such things.

Thing is, nobody probably even paid attention to the comment until it got under some thin skinned blogger who brought it up. I have heard husbands jokingly refer to their wives with that term, so I don't see the big deal. Was it professional? No. Was it racist? Give me a break.

I guess if you make it your life's goal to vilify a news channel, you're going to find a acorn, once in a while. Yeah, this was ridiculous, sounds like an attempt by some "white bread" assistant producer hoping to sound " with it " with today's in crowd.

Tasteless and inexcusable, imo. Racist? That's going over board a bit. Stupid is more to the point.

Franken and Mahrer are comedians, BTW.

Isn't Franken running for an elected office?

Look, I think the blurb was stupid. It was an attempt to be "hip" or whatever and it backfired. Poor judgement at best.

But to claim that it's racist is silly.

Bwaaaaaa. Funny as hell. Now they are whining about a filipino calling a black woman baby's mama.

Achmed's theme song should be changed to "Can't touch this."

That looks like what I would see at the bottom of the screen on Jerry Springer.

Once is an accident, twice is disappointing, 10000 consecutive days is pretty obvious.

You guys are absolutely insane. This is about as stupid of a thread as it gets. It has no bearing on the nation, nor it's future.

CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, and CBS blow things all the time. To point FOX out is pot and kettle mentality.

The Dems are so weak in the head. The issues are not their strong suit, so they look for anything to make up for it. This story isn't a slam on blacks or filled with racism.

Mrs. Obama needs to keep her mouth shut and let her husband do all the talking. Maybe then, she will actually be PROUD of her country ALL THE TIME.

One thing about Fox is that O' Reilly or Hannity do not host election coverage.

On MSNBC, it's Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann.

Olbermann

Chris Matthews

I guess it's ok to talk about Hillary like this, but can't mention or even bring up the possibility of Obama being black as a factor of where he is today

for some reason this youtube user decides to speed up the pauses in Matthews words. He really said this. The user didn't cut and paste anything even though it sounds like it's altered. If I had a dvr or tivo and knew how to upload videos and had all day to watch the news, then, i could have uploaded the unaltered version. I did watch this when he said this though.

It's really just a lame attempt at Fox trying to be cool. Or as auraptor said, sound "with it." Sad thing is, they're about 5 years too late.

But, I think it's also just a bit inadvertantly racist. They're not trying to make a racial statement, but I guarantee you they'd never say that about a white political couple. So, it's basically Fox News showing up at the cool kids party and saying something that makes the record scratch and the room to go silent and everyone stares at them.

It's really just a lame attempt at Fox trying to be cool. Or as auraptor said, sound "with it." Sad thing is, they're about 5 years too late.

But, I think it's also just a bit inadvertantly racist. They're not trying to make a racial statement, but I guarantee you they'd never say that about a white political couple. So, it's basically Fox News showing up at the cool kids party and saying something that makes the record scratch and the room to go silent and everyone stares at them.

Thank you for the objectivity.

It isn't that the comment is overly flagrant, but rather that it would never be used to describe Cindy McCain, Theresa Heinz Kerry, Tipper Gore, Lynne Cheney, or any other white spouse.

It was a pathetic attempt to cheapen the Obamas 16 year marriage and the two daughters they share together. Love her or hate her, Michelle Obama is more than his "baby mama." The same is applicable to any political wife, too.

Thank you for the objectivity.

It isn't that the comment is overly flagrant, but rather that it would never be used to describe Cindy McCain, Theresa Heinz Kerry, Tipper Gore, Lynne Cheney, or any other white spouse.

It was a pathetic attempt to cheapen the Obamas 16 year marriage and the two daughters they share together. Love her or hate her, Michelle Obama is more than his "baby mama." The same is applicable to any political wife, too.

If anyone doesn't cringe when they see a "professional" news station use that as a headline, or whatever they call it at the bottom of the screen, then I just don't know what to tell you. And if you're going to say that other stations do it too, that's no excuse for Fox to lower themselves to that.

June 12, 2008

Categories: Barack Obama

Fox addresses baby mama drama: Producer used 'poor judgment'

Since Salon's Alex Koppelman caught Fox News characterizing Michelle Obama as "Obama's Baby Mama," there's been an uproar over use of such an offensive term.

“A producer on the program exercised poor judgment in using this chyron during the segment,” Fox's Senior Vice President of Programming Bill Shine said in a statement to Politico.

In addition to being insulting, the phrase "baby mama" is also inaccurate. The Urban Dictionary defines "baby mama" as"the mother of your child(ren), whom you did not marry and with whom you are not currently involved."

Although Shine doesn't name anyone responsible, the show's producer is Jessica Herzberg. A Fox staffer said that others internally were bothered by describing the potential first lady and very accomplished women — as the senator's "baby mama."

Unfortunately for the network, this comes just days after Fox's E.D. Hill addressed her use of the phrase "terrorist fist jab" on-air in reference to the famous Michelle-Barack fist bump (or pound) made just before his celebratory speech in St. Paul.

Politico

Good Lord, I hate politics.

I hate that you hate politics. That offends me, deeply, especially since hate is such a politically incorrect word. Its like a teacher using red ink to grade, all it does is hurt the students. Why do you hate little kids so much?

Good Lord, I hate politics.

I hate that you hate politics. That offends me, deeply, especially since hate is such a politically incorrect word. Its like a teacher using red ink to grade, all it does is hurt the students. Why do you hate little kids so much?

Oh Lord you are in trouble now! He's a lawyer. :P

Archived