What is the main contributer to your vote?

kwagoner

I have noticed several folks on here are very tight with a particular party, wing, or individual. I am curious to know what leads you to vote the way you do. Do you vote simply because there is a donkey/elephant beside the name? Is it because they sport the red/blue? Is there a single issue that solely determines it? Are you so far to the right or left, you cannot see the other side?

Me: I do not tie myself to a party or either extreme. I think all parties have their pros/cons. I think throwing myself at the whims of a candidate b/c of their party is foolish. Besides, I somewhat see the D & R growing more toward a similar "middle ground" with less extremist for either party. Considering that, I look at where each candidate stands on the issues. Some issues "weigh" more in my eyes. I'll balance the totals of each, and that determines who I'm voting for. Typically, I say I have about a 40/30/30 split with other/R/D.

How about you? **Note** I don't intend for this to turn to a debate/argument. I'd just like to know where people come from.

I have noticed several folks on here are very tight with a particular party, wing, or individual. I am curious to know what leads you to vote the way you do. Do you vote simply because there is a donkey/elephant beside the name? Is it because they sport the red/blue? Is there a single issue that solely determines it? Are you so far to the right or left, you cannot see the other side?

Me: I do not tie myself to a party or either extreme. I think all parties have their pros/cons. I think throwing myself at the whims of a candidate b/c of their party is foolish. Besides, I somewhat see the D & R growing more toward a similar "middle ground" with less extremist for either party. Considering that, I look at where each candidate stands on the issues. Some issues "weigh" more in my eyes. I'll balance the totals of each, and that determines who I'm voting for. Typically, I say I have about a 40/30/30 split with R/D/other.

How about you? **Note** I don't intend for this to turn to a debate/argument. I'd just like to know where people come from.

My personal political philosophy is this:1)Strong on National Defense 2)Kill the terrorist 3)Secure the borders and reform immigration laws 4) Tax cuts across the board (our current system sucks) for the rich, middle and poor (Until we can come up with something better at least) 5) Reign in gov't spending 6) Cut our crap give away programs 7) Pro 2nd amendment rights 8) Do everything possible to reduce the size of gov't in peoples lives. These 8 to me more than anything else. The others I have listed below are important, just not as important to me as the others issues above.

Issues such as health care, abortion and same sex marriage are iffy, I do not like abortion, but I do see where there might be a time in a womans life that she would need/want one. As far as a form of birth control, I am totally against it. If a woman is raped, molested, or if it would cause her death then who am I to tell her that she must carry that child as a reminder or she must die to save the baby? I wouldn't want the gov't to ban it, but I don't think the taxpayers should have to pay for someone to have one either. Same sex marriage I am against, morally I think it is wrong. I would tell someone that I think it to be wrong and sinful, but I can't tell someone they "have" to stop living that llifestyle and I don't think the gov't should either. If you believe in God then you know that we have free will to follow his teachings and I think they are not following God's will. I do think this is an issue that should left up to the states to decide. Health care to me is a privilege and not a right afforded to you by the gov't. My heart goes out to those who are truly struggling with the cost, but I don't think I should have to pay for someone else's health care.

Environmental issues don't weigh in as much me as they do with others. I believe that we should all we can for it. When it comes to the point that is has a strangle hold on the people and it starts to bankrupt us then I have an issue with it. I guess I am a Conservationist more than I am an Environmentalist. I know that the world population is growing daily and it's not just here and we are doing more than anyone (or at least from what I read in the news) to conserve and become eco-friendly, but I have to wonder where the outcry is for other countries to do the same thing. I think we should build more nuclear plants (if the French can make it a success, I know we can. I mean they did build what they have with our technology as a base to build on), build more refineries, tap into our own natural resources while at the same time investing into alternative resources. I would love to be totally independent of oil, but it will take years to get to a point where we are ready to do that and where everyone can afford to buy or convert their current vehicles to what ever the solution may be.

Now with all that being said, I try and look for the candidate that fits my philosophy, I have never found one that suits me to a tee yet, but I am still holding out hope. I have my issues will all of them. To say that you agree with a candidate on every position in my mind is foolish and you are only deceiving yourself. Same could be said for towing "the party line" on every issue. I find that most of the time the Republican candidate lines up closer to what I believe. I have voted for a Democrat before and more than just once. Since living in his district I have never once voted against Bud Cramer and there are several others from other states that I would vote for also and several others in this state I have voted for. Now both parties have let me down over the past 10 to 12 years terribly and no matter what both sides are to blame (Sorry, I know you said not debate/arguement, but I had to rant for a second). That is where I stand and what I look at when looking at a candidate. Hope that is what you are looking for.

I want a canidate that will maintain our status as the world leader in technology (energy, space, military), conservation (stop destroying the environment, use what we NEED not what we want), and education (invest in maths and sciences). We are so beyond anyone else in military capacity that I want to see us invest in our future, not blow money on defense. I'm fine with spending money on the military to advance technology and intelligence. I don't see the point in wasting it on occupations and invasions.

I am aware that much of the world is not concerned about saving the environment. That is why it is crucial that we lead the way. No one else will or can.

1) National Defense -- don't cut the military

2) Abortion -- I don't think it should be completely outlawed, but there should only be a strict set of requirements for it to happen (threat to the mother, serious fetal deformity that would lead to a short painful life or stillbirth)

3) Right to bear arms -- I believe in the right to bear arms, I should be able to own my handguns, shotguns and rifles. I should have the right to carry my handgun on me concealed provided that I meet a set of requirements (no felonies, background check is clean).

4) National Security -- If there is a threat to the United States, take care of it

5) Immigration -- Implement measures to curb illegal immigration

6) Economy -- Don't overreact to growth and/or slow quarters. The economy has a natural ebb and flow and will usually correct itself from periods of sharp rises or falls.

7) Social Security -- allow some privatization of social security to allow contributors to have some level of control of their investment

8) Taxes -- I would be interested in a flat tax that puts equal liability on both the wealthy and the poor.

This is what I can come up with in just a few minutes off of the top of my head.

Archived