Obama turns down $80MM in public financing

RunInRed

“I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.” Barrack Obama

OK, so now please explain to us how this is not a major flip flop. There is little doubt that you as the official Obamaphile and other lemmings will think it is a flip flop, so educate us. We await your answer.

In the video, I think he clearly explains his position. Did you watch it?

His stance appears to be that because the current system is broken (e.g. 527s), the idea of participating in a true form of public finance is not even possible. But what I really like, is that not only has he isolated and highlighted the problem, he also has found a solution - a parallel system where individuals can finance a campaign with small donations over the internet - brilliant.

How you and Mr. McCain - as limited Government conservatives - would be against campaigns propelled by individuals instead of tax payers, I'll never know.

Spin it all you want, that is the truth in as clear as terms as I can put it.

In the video, I think he clearly explains his position. Did you watch it? (No I didn't bother watching the video. I was reading an article at TIME on line.)

His stance appears to be that because the current system is broken (e.g. 527s), (So since it is broken because of the 527's, he intends to continue to let the 527's pour in the $$$$$$ to his campaign. Yeah I understand his reasoning. I also understand why you like it. He said it so you have no problem.) the idea of participating in a true form of public finance is not even possible. But what I really like, is that not only has he isolated and highlighted the problem, he also has found a solution - a parallel system where individuals can finance a campaign with small donations over the internet - brilliant. (Why does that statement not surprise me in the least.)

How you and Mr. McCain - as limited Government conservatives - would be against campaigns propelled by individuals instead of tax payers, I'll never know.

The only spin is coming from you as the official ObamaBot of this site (yes there are others I know). Did he not make the statement I posted above? Is he not going in a completely different direction? Is that not a flip flop?

In the video, I think he clearly explains his position. Did you watch it? (No I didn't bother watching the video. I was reading an article at TIME on line.)

His stance appears to be that because the current system is broken (e.g. 527s), (So since it is broken because of the 527's, he intends to continue to let the 527's pour in the $$$$$$ to his campaign. Yeah I understand his reasoning. I also understand why you like it. He said it so you have no problem.) the idea of participating in a true form of public finance is not even possible. But what I really like, is that not only has he isolated and highlighted the problem, he also has found a solution - a parallel system where individuals can finance a campaign with small donations over the internet - brilliant. (Why does that statement not surprise me in the least.)

The only spin is coming from you as the official ObamaBot of this site (yes there are others I know). Did he not make the statement I posted above? Is he not going in a completely different direction? Is that not a flip flop?

Its not worth explaining it to you. It's pretty clear.

Its not worth explaining it to you. It's pretty clear.

Once again great discourse from the far left. Did he say what I posted above?

Obama spokesman Bill Burton is blaming Senator John McCain's campaign for failing, he says, to negotiate in good faith on a course to public financing.

"In the past couple of weeks, our campaign counsels met and it was immediately clear that McCain's campaign had no interest in the possibility of an agreement," Burton said. "When asked about the RNC's months of raising and spending for the general election, McCain's campaign could only offer its expectation that the Obama campaign would probably, sooner or later, catch up. And shortly thereafter, Senator McCain signaled to the 527s that they were free to run wild, without objection."

Burton said that while Obama had essentially shut down fundraising for Progressive Media USA, which aspired to be a major anti-McCain media voice, McCain had sent no such clear signal to GOP 527s.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/060...cfinancing.html

Now I understand.

First Obama says:

“I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.” Barrack Obama

Now Obama says:

"It’s not an easy decision, and especially because I support a robust system of public financing of elections. But the public financing of presidential elections as it exists today is broken,,,,"

Now he says he is not doing it because it's the Republicans fault! :roflol::roflol: And rr & justin buy it hook line and sinker!

"Obama spokesman Bill Burton is blaming Senator John McCain's campaign for failing, he says, to negotiate in good faith on a course to public financing."

The man is incapable of holding to his word.

You want to know the real reason?

Obama is expected to raise more than $200-$300 million, outspend McCain’s public financing by as much as 3-1. He will likely break presidential campaign spending records in all or most states.

Barack Obama said he was for public financing of his campaign before he was against it. This is how he has run his campaign and handled every issue from Reverend Wright to the security threat that is Iran. Barack Obama is often one way before he is another way.

Obama = lying hypocrite

rr = gullible suck up Obamaphile

I'll add to TM's comment that it is the exact same "broken" system as when he made the first statement of "aggressively pursuing an agreement with the Republican nominee". The truth is that when he made that statement, he had no idea how much money he would be able to raise on his own. It is fact. Period, end of story. And in my humble opinion, this is how Senator Obama has treated every last issue he has addressed. He is nothing more than a slimy politician.

You guys need to quit whining and go contribute to McCain - he now needs all the fundraising help he can get.

You guys need to quit whining and go contribute to McCain - he now needs all the fundraising help he can get.

I guess that is as close as it comes for you admitting that it is all about money for Obama, and not principles. In other words, he will say and do anything to get elected. But most already new that. :poke:

I guess that is as close as it comes for you admitting that it is all about money for Obama, and not principles. In other words, he will say and do anything to get elected. But most already new that. :poke:

You realize you are defending "big Government" providing at least $160MM of taxpayer dollars to the candidates to campaign with. Oh the hypocrisy.

I'll add to TM's comment that it is the exact same "broken" system as when he made the first statement of "aggressively pursuing an agreement with the Republican nominee". The truth is that when he made that statement, he had no idea how much money he would be able to raise on his own. It is fact. Period, end of story. And in my humble opinion, this is how Senator Obama has treated every last issue he has addressed. He is nothing more than a slimy politician.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have winner!

Oh the hypocrisy.

We agree!

First

Now

"It’s not an easy decision, and especially because I support a robust system of public financing of elections. But the public financing of presidential elections as it exists today is broken,,,," Barrack Obama

Now he says he is not doing it because it's the Republicans fault! :roflol::roflol: And rr & justin buy it hook line and sinker!

Pot meet kettle!

You realize you are defending "big Government" providing at least $160MM of taxpayer dollars to the candidates to campaign with. Oh the hypocrisy.

Oh, the tax burden. Gasp! Doing the math: $160 million dollars from a population of 300 million works out to be 14 cents a year per person to fund it. And why can't all these donations to date go to repay the "big government" back for the tax payers dollars.

Either way, I am not necessarily defending public financing for presidential elections, just the fact that Obama made a big deal out of it when it wasn't even an issue and he was still a nobody, and now... it just shows his character. Not to mention, you were probably defending it eight months ago, then you probably started to waffle on it four months ago, and now you probably officially changed your mind today.

UPDATE:

Less than a week ago, Barack announced that our campaign would forgo public financing for the general election, and instead would rely on the grassroots donors who have funded this campaign from the beginning.

Even though we stood to receive more than $80 million in taxpayer funding for our campaign, the system has been so gamed and exploited by our opponents that it is effectively broken.

Instead, we declared our independence from a broken system, and we asked our supporters to join us in doing the same. Since that announcement five days ago, over 100,000 people have done just that, by donating what they can.

John McCain has built his fundraising strategy around taking public tax dollars while relying on high-dollar donors cutting huge checks to the RNC. What we're doing is different. With your help, we're creating a new model for publicly financed campaigns, a new model for citizen participation, and a new movement for change.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/p...eupdates/gG5NfW

Archived