John McCain admits he never loved America until he was in his 30s

TexasTiger

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/19/w...a_n_108191.html

I don't really fault McCain for these comments, but don't understand how decent folks can keep hammering Michelle Obama for her "really proud of my country" comments and not also have similar concerns about McCain.

Oh goodness................... just because someone wasn't born with a US flag tattooed on their forehead, they don't wear the American flag as a button down shirt (non-popped collar of course), or they didn't look directly at the center of the flag while the pledge was said doesn't make them less qualified to do their job. Regardless of having the last name Obama, McCain, Romney, Clinton, or Paul.

People get WAYYYYY to hung up on the I love America more than you attitude pointing out someone not placing their hand over their heart or not loving America until they were 30. Big freaking deal. Both voters and candidates lose sight of the issues when conversations like this get brought up.

I don't really fault McCain for these comments, but don't understand how decent folks can keep hammering Michelle Obama for her "really proud of my country" comments and not also have similar concerns about McCain.

Oh goodness................... just because someone wasn't born with a US flag tattooed on their forehead, they don't wear the American flag as a button down shirt, or they didn't look directly at the center of the flag while the pledge was said doesn't make them less qualified to do their job. Regardless of having the last name Obama, McCain, Romney, Clinton, or Paul.

People get WAYYYYY to hung up on the I love America more than you attitude pointing out someone not placing their hand over their heart or not loving America until they were 30. Big freaking deal. Both voters and candidates lose sight of the issues when conversations like this get brought up.

:cheers::clap::clap::cheer::thumbsup:

You're adding a word to Michelle's original speech, that being " really ". At first, she stated that for the first time in her adult life, she was proud of her country. However, the msm conveniently only shows the other speech she gave that day, the one where she inserted the word 'really', which gives her wiggle room to broaden as to what she can tell others her REAL meaning of that comment.

All McCain was saying, and this is clear to anyone w/ half a brain who can read, was that he didn't know how great it was to be an American, how much he loved the country until he was held from it. That's fairly common. And by age 30, he'd already been serving for the country, so it's hard to paint him in the same light as Michelle who was never proud of her country until Barack ran for the high office.

Finally, this piece of trash blog comes from the Huffington Post, a noted FAR Left wing rag. And the writer calls McCain " Johnny McPrivledge " . With bias like that, why believe anything they have to say about the matter ?

You're adding a word to Michelle's original speech, that being " really ". At first, she stated that for the first time in her adult life, she was proud of her country. However, the msm conveniently only shows the other speech she gave that day, the one where she inserted the word 'really', which gives her wiggle room to broaden as to what she can tell others her REAL meaning of that comment.

All McCain was saying, and this is clear to anyone w/ half a brain who can read, was that he didn't know how great it was to be an American, how much he loved the country until he was held from it. That's fairly common. And by age 30, he'd already been serving for the country, so it's hard to paint him in the same light as Michelle who was never proud of her country until Barack ran for the high office.

Finally, this piece of trash blog comes from the Huffington Post, a noted FAR Left wing rag. And the writer calls McCain " Johnny McPrivledge " . With bias like that, why believe anything they have to say about the matter ?

:rolleyes: Folks keep pointing to her words. Well, then look at his. He has repeatedly said he didn't love his country until he was in his 30s. I understand loving her more. I understand appreciating her more. But he says he didn't even love her before then. If a Dem had said that, you would have thought that disqualified him or her.

Folks keep talking about how privileged the Obamas are-- "Ivy League schools". McCain did grow up in privilege. How do you think he got his Academy appointment? He was a poor student with an attitude problem. You complain about bias? You're one of the most biased folks on the planet. :roflol:

"I didn't really love America until I was deprived of her company."

Meaning - I loved her, but didn't know it until I was deprived of her company, BECAUSE I WAS BEING HELD PRISONER OF WAR because I was fighting FOR HER.

No rational thinking person would for 1/2 a second even dare to compare Michelle's not being proud of her country as being on par w/ what McCain said and meant.

This is nothing but a desperate, despicable attempt by the Left to deflect attention away from Michelle, who has obviously become a liability to Barack on this and other issues.

I'm sure McCain was interviewed, just like all other Academy candidates. Just like my nephew was. Grades help, but there's more to JUST grades that makes a man.

Also, looking at the MSNBC video clip, it's staggering to see just how far in the tank they are for Obama, and the extreme far Left. It's sad, really. I thought their biases only went so far as Mathews and Olbermann, but it appears to run straight through the network, from top to bottom.

They might as well all be wearing Obama '08 lapel pins on their jackets and blouses. Unbelievable.

"I didn't really love America until I was deprived of her company."

Meaning - I loved her, but didn't know it until I was deprived of her company, BECAUSE I WAS BEING HELD PRISONER OF WAR because I was fighting FOR HER.

No rational thinking person would for 1/2 a second even dare to compare Michelle's not being proud of her country as being on par w/ what McCain said and meant.

This is nothing but a desperate, despicable attempt by the Left to deflect attention away from Michelle, who has obviously become a liability to Barack on this and other issues.

I'm sure McCain was interviewed, just like all other Academy candidates. Just like my nephew was. Grades help, but there's more to JUST grades that makes a man.

Most men in his circumstance grade-wise and conduct-wise never get the opportunity to show more of themselves.

He's said it many ways, many times:

"I was born into America's service, it wasn't until I was deprived of her company that I fell in love with America.

"I was not in love with America until I was deprived of her company"

Again, he's never been criticized for it, and I'm not criticizing him now. I'm pointing to the unprincipled, desperate hypocrisy of folks like you. If a Dem had said these words under any circumstances, he or she'd catch hell for it.

Michelle Obama has repeatedly explained that she was referring to being proud of the political system for the first time. Laura Bush (man, did that guy marry up!) easily sees that it is unfair to attack her for this. But small-minded folks like you cling to it, because facts, issues and policies don't help your case.

There's no hypocrisy here at work in the least. McCain was a POW, Michelle is an elitist, left wing lawyer married to a US Senator, and said she's never been PROUD of her country until Senator hubby ran for the office of the President.

We're not going to back off of Michelle, so feel free to try these lame attempts at vilifying McCain all you want.

There's no hypocrisy here at work in the least. McCain was a POW, Michelle is an elitist, left wing lawyer married to a US Senator, and said she's never been PROUD of her country until Senator hubby ran for the office of the President.

We're not going to back off of Michelle, so feel free to try these lame attempts at vilifying McCain all you want.

Yeah, I know how cowardly little scumbags like you work. I know you're not backing off insulting the candidate's wife.

Yeah, I know how cowardly little scumbags like you work. I know you're not backing off insulting the candidate's wife.

I think you are being a little too literal on the man's comments. I see it like a long marriage. You are in love, but only after a life together or a time appart do you fully appreciate your spouse. But then, criticizing a man that spent 6 years being tortured after nearly being mortally wounded in the defense of his country about his love of his country isn't being picky. Those 6 years of torture are proof enough to me that he is patriotic. I'm not sure what would be sufficient for you.

If anyone has any questions about McCains character or patriotism, they should read exactly what happened to him in Vietnam. For those not willing to inform themselves, I'll give you the abbreviated version. Shot down, broke both arms and a leg, unconscious, attacked by a crowed, stabbed with a bayonet, shoulder broken by rifle butt, taken to Hanoi Hilton, not treated until learn that father was admiral. Offered release. McCain turned it down unless every POW released. Tortured until his breaking point in which he signed anti-american propaganda. Further tortured for several more years, five and a half total, until his release.

I think you are being a little too literal on the man's comments. I see it like a long marriage. You are in love, but only after a life together or a time appart do you fully appreciate your spouse. But then, criticizing a man that spent 6 years being tortured after nearly being mortally wounded in the defense of his country about his love of his country isn't being picky. Those 6 years of torture are proof enough to me that he is patriotic. I'm not sure what would be sufficient for you.

You either lack almost all reading comprehension or you haven't really read what I have written. I didn't criticize him for what he said. I think folks can be "too literal" on both his comments AND Michelle Obama's. Neither would be fair to do.

:rolleyes: Folks keep pointing to her words. Well, then look at his. He has repeatedly said he didn't love his country until he was in his 30s. I understand loving her more. I understand appreciating her more. But he says he didn't even love her before then. If a Dem had said that, you would have thought that disqualified him or her.

To be fair, when McCain was in his 30's Obama's parents were probably newlyweds. He's loved this country since Barack and Michelle were gleams in their respective parents' eyes.

:)

To be fair, when McCain was in his 30's Obama's parents were probably newlyweds. He's loved this country since Barack and Michelle were gleams in their respective parents' eyes.

:)

McCain will rely on his oldness to lead the country.

He wants all of us to be able to look our kids in the eye (and in his case, his children, grandhildren, great-grandchildren, & great-great-grandchildren - the youngest of which is not approaching retirement) and say "I helped take care of your Social Security".

Any SNL fans out there?

I'd like you to say that to my face, message board punk. All I'm saying is that as long as Michelle is willing to wade in the deep end of the pool, neither she or anyone else should cry when someone splashes water at her and gets her hair wet.

When she says she's never been proud of her country in her adult life, that's a telling statement.

When Rev Wright says, Obamas pastor for 20 + yrs, accuses the US Government of creating the AIDS virus , shouts damn America, or calls this country the US of KKK A , we're gonna call him on it.

When Barack keeps the company of known terrorist who set bombs off at the Pentagon, we're gonna point that out.

Sorry, but your attempts to hide the truth about Barack and his life aren't going to work.

If it's so painful for you to start insulting others over, then maybe you should stay off the internet until you can deal w/ the facts.

You either lack almost all reading comprehension or you haven't really read what I have written. I didn't criticize him for what he said. I think folks can be "too literal" on both his comments AND Michelle Obama's. Neither would be fair to do.

And you talk out of both sides of your mouth. You bring this up and say "Look at what McCain did" but then say, I'm not criticizing him for it. It would be indicting for Michelle Obama for you to criticize him. You and I just won't agree on this. I can tell by what Michelle Obama said what her intent was and what McCain said and his intent.

And you talk out of both sides of your mouth. You bring this up and say "Look at what McCain did" but then say, I'm not criticizing him for it. It would be indicting for Michelle Obama for you to criticize him. You and I just won't agree on this. I can tell by what Michelle Obama said what her intent was and what McCain said and his intent.

People interpret other's intent through the lens of their own biases. Your mind was made up about the Obamas before they over said a word.

I'd like you to say that to my face, message board punk. All I'm saying is that as long as Michelle is willing to wade in the deep end of the pool, neither she or anyone else should cry when someone splashes water at her and gets her hair wet.

When she says she's never been proud of her country in her adult life, that's a telling statement.

When Rev Wright says, Obamas pastor for 20 + yrs, accuses the US Government of creating the AIDS virus , shouts damn America, or calls this country the US of KKK A , we're gonna call him on it.

When Barack keeps the company of known terrorist who set bombs off at the Pentagon, we're gonna point that out.

Sorry, but your attempts to hide the truth about Barack and his life aren't going to work.

If it's so painful for you to start insulting others over, then maybe you should stay off the internet until you can deal w/ the facts.

:roflol::roflol: AURaptor using facts?!?! :roflol::roflol:

I think what is being said is there is a difference in I never loved "X" until I didn't have it and I never realized how much I loved "x" until I didn't have it.

I think what is being said is there is a difference in I never loved "X" until I didn't have it and I never realized how much I loved "x" until I didn't have it.

As stated above, it's not always easy to determine what a person's thinking in their heart when they say something. It's a far stretch to assume that McCain, who comes from a military family, who was a military man himself, DIDN'T love the country. But his understanding, his realization of that love took on a whole new meaning during his POW status. Perfectly understandable, for most.

As for your quip about me using facts, that's pretty much all I ever do, so I fail to see what your point is. Unless it's me using facts you don't happen to like.

:roflol::roflol: AURaptor using facts?!?! :roflol::roflol:

There is a difference and McCain has said essentially the same thing repeatedly over a period of years--"I never loved America until..." Still, I'm more than willing to assume he was just be less precise with language-- in fact, no one ever criticized him for this over the years-- but, man, just let a Dem be a equally imprecise with language and that person is somehow unfit as an American. Same old Republican crap with the same old Republican hypocrisy. Raptor's great at illustrating both. :roflol:

Same old Republican crap ? What about the same old Democrat crap of bashing America first, damn AMERICA, US OF KKKA, accusing US Marines of cold blooded murder in Hadifa , of GITMO being a Soviet style Gulag..... sorry, but when Dems like Michelle say things which belittle the country, pardon us while we don't overlook it as a mere poorly stated phrase. It's only because of the recent past and the track record you jack-a$$es on the Left have w/ attacking your own country first, and being blind to the greatness she's shown. For you zealots, who ever is in the White House determines how America is to be viewed.

Republican - America bad, evil, racist, homophobic, war monger

Democrat - America progressive, changed, fairer,

Your delusion to your party is beyond words.

Same old Republican crap ? What about the same old Democrat crap of bashing America first, damn AMERICA, US OF KKKA, accusing US Marines of cold blooded murder in Hadifa , of GITMO being a Soviet style Gulag..... sorry, but when Dems like Michelle say things which belittle the country, pardon us while we don't overlook it as a mere poorly stated phrase.

She didn't say any of the things you listed. More lies, red herrings, head fakes, distortions and all-around dishonest BS from Raptor!

Same old Republican crap ? What about the same old Democrat crap of bashing America first, damn AMERICA, US OF KKKA, accusing US Marines of cold blooded murder in Hadifa , of GITMO being a Soviet style Gulag..... sorry, but when Dems like Michelle say things which belittle the country, pardon us while we don't overlook it as a mere poorly stated phrase.

She didn't say any of the things you listed. More lies, red herrings, head fakes, distortions and all-around dishonest BS from Raptor!

I never claimed SHE said those, and you know it. I'm putting her words " for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country " in context w/ the vile, wicked and other wise ridiculous things OTHER Dems HAVE said.

No lies, no red herrings, no head fakes, no distortions and being purely 100% honest and factual.

Grow the hell up TT, you're an embarrassment to the board.

I never claimed SHE said those, and you know it. I'm putting her words " for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country " in context w/ the vile, wicked and other wise ridiculous things OTHER Dems HAVE said.

No lies, no red herrings, no head fakes, no distortions and being purely 100% honest and factual.

Grow the hell up TT, you're an embarrassment to the board.

The real comparison is to what McCain said. Instead, you put her comments into a "context" of what other people said instead of the context in which she said what she said. You're dishonest at your core which renders you incapable of seeing how dishonest your actions are. You're an embarrassment to the species.

Archived