Who spends the most on recruiting?

SouthLink02

http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php?id=qs...dzyqxM9hZJffwVt

Recruiting budgets vary widely. They fluctuate according to colleges' locations and the depth of talent available in their regions, which can affect how far coaches have to travel to recruit. Budgets also depend on how many teams a college fields and the amount of revenue it pulls in from ticket sales and other sources. And some administrators complain that not all institutions report their recruiting expenses the same way.

Institutions in the six most competitive conferences, and in Division I-A more broadly, spend by far the most on recruiting. But expenses grew even more significantly at Division I-AA and I-AAA institutions, which are a competitive notch below Division I-A and historically have tended to recruit more regionally. Spending on recruiting among programs in Divisions II and III did not grow as fast. (See "Top Spenders in Sports Recruiting," Page A10.)

After Tennessee, the biggest spenders in 2007 were the University of Notre Dame, the University of Florida, Auburn University, Kansas State University, and the University of Georgia.

Kansas State tripled its spending in the past decade as it sought national prominence.

"That's the price of doing business," says Bob Cavello, associate athletic director for business operations. "Why would you want to limit yourself to bring in only people who are from the Midwest?"

Among the 65 biggest football programs — the nation's largest spenders — the University of Maryland at College Park showed the greatest percentage change in its recruiting budget. In the 1997 academic year, it spent $242,000 on recruiting. Ten years later, it spent $912,100.

If you have the money and want a top class, money needs to be spent

UGA has the money so why not spend it? I got no problem with us being on there

yeah, i don't think your school being on there about spending is a bad thing at all.

If you've got a top class w/o spending the money, why not spend it elsewhere?

Seems to be the boat y'all are in.

Surprised no one has made the point that Alabama had the top recruiting class and is not on the list...

They don't talk about the money they spend on recruiting. It might get them in some trouble! :moon::)

I'm surprised Texas and USC aren't on the list. They both go after alot of recruits nationally, and even in state recruiting... those are big states.

I was thinking the same thing about USC......Dang, you see their name on A LOT of recruits nationwide.

Do the schools have to report these numbers, or can they spend whatever they want and not report them?

If you've got a top class w/o spending the money, why not spend it elsewhere?

Seems to be the boat y'all are in.

I guess our coaches fly first class? <_<

does that involve private universities? if not, that may be why USC or even Miami is not listed. Although, is ND private?

Surprised no one has made the point that Alabama had the top recruiting class and is not on the list...

That's because all the money we spend on recruiting goes "unreported" ;)

For now, maybe......Eventually, the TRUTH will out. :lol:

It would be interesting to see how much Bama spends on stuffed elephants every year.

It would be interesting to see how much Bama spends on stuffed elephants every year.

Well, $150k for one DL -- we know that for a fact. There are 25 schollies allowed for non-probation schools per year. So, $150k x 25 = $3,750,000. That was the going rate in 1999. Figure about 4% inflation each year since then: $3,750,000 x (1.04)^9 = $5,337,419. Impressive sum, no? B)

I am wondering about the Saban-hats as I call them

I saw one today actually while picking up some beer on the way over to Florida

Didn't some Bama fan here post some articles a long time ago showing some insane increase in those hats where stores couldn't keep them in stock or am I dreaming that?

Archived