Gators hope to sway tailback prospect

Tigermike

By Edward Aschoff

Special to The Sun

Published: Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 12:36 p.m.

Last Modified: Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 12:36 p.m.

Florida coach Urban Meyer is no stranger to luring players previously committed to other schools.

He did it with Justin Trattou in 2007 and more recently with stud defensive tackle Omar Hunter. Both were originally committed to Notre Dame.

So it was no surprise that he was trying to work his magic on one of the top prospects in the country in Trent Richardson at Friday Night Lights in July.

Richardson, who is committed to Alabama, is a four-star prospect from Pensacola. He is not only the third-best running back rated by Rivals.com, he’s also ranked the 27th best player in the country by Rivals.

The 5-foot-11, 210-pound back was easily one of the most impressive performers at UF’s annual camp. It was the first camp that Richardson had been to that he said he had to go one-on-one against linebackers, and he made the most of it as he broke away from almost every opposing defender he faced in the drill.

Richardson also showed that although he is built to carry the rock, he can catch the ball too. It seemed like the only time the ball hit the ground was when passes were either too high or too short.

The night was a success for Richardson, but his time at The Swamp also made him think more about his commitment to Alabama.

“I’m committed there, but you never know what could happen from here to February,” said Richardson, who recorded 1,390 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns as a junior. “Right now I’m still kind of out there, but I don’t really know because Alabama is the school I’m committed to.”

One thing going for UF is that Richardson said he thinks he can be that big bruising back that Meyer has desperately been seeking since his arrival – outside of quarterback Tim Tebow. Primarily an I-formation back, Richardson recognizes the talent UF has in its backfield, but his size and ability are what could make a difference in Meyer’s offense.

The push to get Richardson was in full force at FNL, as he was seen speaking with various members of the Gator staff, current players and some of UF’s 2009 recruits whenever he wasn’t participating in drills. Some of the current recruits couldn’t immediately remember his name when asked about Richardson, but they all knew that the priority of the night was to woo the guy wearing No. 333 on his orange FNL shirt.

“The running back that was committed to Alabama,” said 2009 offensive line commit Jon Halapio when asked about who he was recruiting. “That’s the only guy that I’ve been talking to that I’m trying to get to come to Florida.”

Halapio said his approach was subtle, but 2010 commit Ian Silberman went a different way in trying to sway Richardson.

“He said he has a soft verbal commit to Alabama, but I told him he needs to come to Florida because Nick Saban will leave,” Silberman said. “He left LSU and he left Miami (Dolphins) and he might leave him, and Urban Meyer won’t do that.”

Richardson laughed off Silberman’s comments and said he’s not worried about Saban’s future. But now he finds himself in similar situation.

With Richardson it’s not the difference between millions of dollars he’s weighing. It’s the thought of winning championships at Alabama or the tempting possibility of playing in his home state.

“Living in Florida and then playing at a Florida school, that’s good,” he said. “That’s a good look because that’s your home state. I like Florida. I love Florida to death, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.”

link

kinda funny, the day after or two days after the UF camp he was asked how solid he was to UA on a scale of 1-10 and he answered 15. interesting how UF teaches their commits negative recruiting early.

“He said he has a soft verbal commit to Alabama, but I told him he needs to come to Florida because Nick Saban will leave,” Silberman said. “He left LSU and he left Miami (Dolphins) and he might leave him, and Urban Meyer won’t do that.”

btw, i thought you guys said he was going to go to LSU?

IMHO, most, if not all, head coaches leave until they get to where they want to stay. A few get to start out their head coaching careers where they want to stay: Joe Paterno, Vince Dooley, Mark Richt.

Doesn't Meyer have a history of leaving? Or is he still at Utah?

I was thinking this exact same thing! He has left Bowling Green and Utah. So he has been at 3 schools. He continued to pursue better opportunities.

Saban left Toledo, Bowling Green, LSU for better opportunities. The NFL thing just didn't work out for him, so now he is at Alabama. The debate could go on forever if Alabama is as best as he can go at this point, but this is what people don't understand. Just because you leave for better opportunities, doesn't mean you are going to leave every place you go.

The kid's comment on "I love Florida to death, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do" pretty much sums it up.

What championships is he talking about winning at bama? Recruiting NC?

kinda funny, the day after or two days after the UF camp he was asked how solid he was to UA on a scale of 1-10 and he answered 15. interesting how UF teaches their commits negative recruiting early.

Hypocracy thy name is bama. Are you actually trying to say Saban and bama don't do this? How then do you account for bama conmmits actually recruiting fo bama during official visits to Auburn?

It’s the thought of winning championships at Alabama or the tempting possibility of playing in his home state.

huh? Isn't florida the one 2 years removed from an NC? If he wants a championship he'd have a WAY higher chance to do it at uf and stay in state that he ever will at uat. uat needs to work on getting above .500 and beating ULM before they talk about championships...

It’s the thought of winning championships at Alabama or the tempting possibility of playing in his home state.

huh? Isn't florida the one 2 years removed from an NC? If he wants a championship he'd have a WAY higher chance to do it at uf and stay in state that he ever will at uat. uat needs to work on getting above .500 and beating ULM before they talk about championships...

I'm sure he would like watching Tebow run the ball.

If Tebow is even around then. At most they would cross paths for one season. That still doesn't change the fact that UF has a much better chance at winning any championships in the next 6 years than Alabama.

If Tebow is even around then. At most they would cross paths for one season. That still doesn't change the fact that UF has a much better chance at winning any championships in the next 6 years than Alabama.

True, but there are not too many backs like TR that want to run the spread offense. Even, Florida with the great classes they've had, haven't convinced many top notch RBs like Richardson that they will get the ball consisently.

Check rivals commitment list for UF for the past couple of years. They've signed a number of top notch running backs.

Check rivals commitment list for UF for the past couple of years. They've signed a number of top notch running backs.

They will have a pretty good view of Tebow running the QB dive. They might even be allowed to block for Percey Harvin.

They will have a pretty good view of Tebow running the QB dive. They might even be allowed to block for Percey Harvin.

Not disputing that they won't get the ball that much but you said they are having problems getting top notch talent at rb which is incorrect.

Not disputing that they won't get the ball that much but you said they are having problems getting top notch talent at rb which is incorrect.

Really, then who was the last good RB that Urban Meyer had? Are you going by their dreaded star rankings? I'm just saying it's hard to evaluate talent on the bench. I don't know how good these guys are and neither do you, but I can deduce that they must not be "top notch" if they don't get the ball.

I can't believe I'm wasting my time like this.

Scout:

2009 - 4* Mike Gillislee

2008 - 4* Jeff Demps

2007 - 4* Bo Williams

5* Chris Rainey

2006 - 4* Mon Williams

4* Chevon Walker

2005 - 4* Kestahn Moore

Now lets look at Bama over the same span

2009 - 4* Trent Richardson

2008 - 4* Chris Jordan

2007 - no 4 or 5 *

2006 - 4* Mike Ford

2005 - no 4 or 5 *

I know I know, coaches have changed, we have sabear, yada yada yada. You can't call trent richardson elite and then bash star rankings on other teams. Richardson is a great player but he's no better than any other running back recruit til he shows it on the field. I don't know why you are arguing that UF can't get "top notch" talent at RB, i'm done with this thread.

Scout:

2009 - 4* Mike Gillislee

2008 - 4* Jeff Demps

2007 - 4* Bo Williams

5* Chris Rainey

2006 - 4* Mon Williams

4* Chevon Walker

2005 - 4* Kestahn Moore

2008 - 4* Chris Jordan

2007 - no 4 or 5 *

2006 - 4* Mike Ford

2005 - no 4 or 5 *

I know I know, coaches have changed, we have sabear, yada yada yada. You can't call trent richardson elite and then bash star rankings on other teams. Richardson is a great player but he's no better than any other running back recruit til he shows it on the field. I don't know why you are arguing that UF can't get "top notch" talent at RB, i'm done with this thread.

he's not bashing the star rankings of another team, i think he was taking a poke at you since alot of AU fans say stars have nothing to do with anything. i think his point is Richardson probably wouldn't be given an opportunity to prove his ranking was legit all that often with Tebow around if he went to UF.

Scout:

2009 - 4* Mike Gillislee

2008 - 4* Jeff Demps

2007 - 4* Bo Williams

5* Chris Rainey

2006 - 4* Mon Williams

4* Chevon Walker

2005 - 4* Kestahn Moore

2008 - 4* Chris Jordan

2007 - no 4 or 5 *

2006 - 4* Mike Ford

2005 - no 4 or 5 *

he's not bashing the star rankings of another team, i think he was taking a poke at you since alot of AU fans say stars have nothing to do with anything. i think his point is Richardson probably wouldn't be given an opportunity to prove his ranking was legit all that often with Tebow around if he went to UF.

RWS always brings it with clarity. Seriously, since that other dude was put on suspension, I'm loving the legit conversation.

Scout:

2009 - 4* Mike Gillislee

2008 - 4* Jeff Demps

2007 - 4* Bo Williams

5* Chris Rainey

2006 - 4* Mon Williams

4* Chevon Walker

2005 - 4* Kestahn Moore

2008 - 4* Chris Jordan

2007 - no 4 or 5 *

2006 - 4* Mike Ford

2005 - no 4 or 5 *

okay, one more appearance........What year is Tebow? Oh, you say he probably leaves this year? Now i'm really done with this thread.

okay, one more appearance........What year is Tebow? Oh, you say he probably leaves this year? Now i'm really done with this thread.

i highly.....highly doubt Tebow goes pro after this season. your point is based on nothing but speculation, although mine is as well. 07 was his first real year playing. tell me again exactly what big games Tebow won in 07.....LSU? no. AU? no. UGA? no. Michigan in the Capital One Bowl? no. he has never even won a major conference game. have you taken a look at the UF roster and how many RB they have? 3 freshmen, 2 sophomores, 3 juniors, and they have one RB committed already for 09. i think they have like 4 FB also, none of which are seniors this season. i know Tebow has some good stats, i just don't see him being high enough in the mock draft for him to go after this season. and you know Urban Meyer will be in his ear to stay also. to just come out and say "well he will probably leave after this season....there, i'm right" is nuts. you've been sipping too much ESPN-aide. he may come out this season and just completely dominate everybody and win a MNC. who knows. i don't really see it happening though.

Just an update, Trent Richardson is like 5 star good now... ;)

http://alabama.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp...mp;pr_key=72330

Also to add to the list auwallace gave:

2005 - 4 star Roy Upchurch

2006 - 4 star Terry Grant and 4 star Mike Ford (I wouldn't count him, but alright)

2007 - 4 star Demetrius Goode ( although it looks as though he might become a DB)

2008 - 4 star Mark Ingram to go along with 4 star Chris Jordan (whom was already mentioned).

But to keep this thread relevant, and stay on subject here's an article about Richardson and his commitment to the Tide:

http://www.crimsonconfidential.com/news/st...php?article=190

Archived