Clemson Stealing "Tiger Walk"

BZ770

Interim Clemson boss Swinney introduces 'Tiger Walk'

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) -- Clemson will add a new tradition along with a new coach this Saturday.

The school said Thursday the players will hold a "Tiger Walk" about two hours before kickoff with Georgia Tech. All players and coaches will walk through the parking lot outside Memorial Stadium before heading inside for final game preparations.

Clemson coach Tommy Bowden stepped down Monday. Receivers coach Dabo Swinney was named interim head coach. Swinney said he wants the players to feel the fans' support.

Swinney has spent much of the week trying to inflate the team's spirit after two losses in a row and the departure of their longtime head coach.

Clemson is known for its pre-game entrance when players run down the hill into Death Valley after rubbing Howard's Rock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...k.ap/index.html

This really irks me. We had it first, maybe we should have patented it.

Their mascot is a tiger and they added ... walk, which is what they're doing when they "tiger walk". Should they call it the bulldog walk?

Yes. Well, that or Platypus Walk!

Hahahahaha, they stole it? Really? I'd worry more about the team you cheer for.

Don't be furious....even their own web site agrees that they ARE a baby tiger of Auburn tiger. THeir football program started by a Auburn alumini, late became the president of Clemson. It was him brought the mascot "tiger" to Clemson and the Orange color.....and even a coach named "John Hiesman" to Clemson....

Can you stop a baby to inheritate his father's tradition?

Their mascot is a tiger and they added ... walk, which is what they're doing when they "tiger walk". Should they call it the bulldog walk?

Do they still call it the Walk of Champions after you lose to ULM?

Do they still call it the Walk of Champions after you lose to ULM?

I don't think you understand the concept of the Walk of Champions. Actually I think it's obvious that you don't understand the concept. Losing to ULM along with all the other losses is what kept us from adding another plaque and statue to the walk of champions. You see, we actually have championships. The Walk of Champions is essentially a trophy case, only it's not like one that is empty.

Everyone and their mama has copied the Tiger Walk.Let's see the Dawg walk the Vol walk ....the elephant walk or whatever they call it.

I'm surprise they haven't gotten their own kool aid drug store with an artificial tree to roll outside.

Someone at one time said that Tenn was flying an eagle at the start of the game?Wasn't that posted here one time?

I'm glad we don't copy anyone like that.

Interim Clemson boss Swinney introduces 'Tiger Walk'

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) -- Clemson will add a new tradition along with a new coach this Saturday.

The school said Thursday the players will hold a "Tiger Walk" about two hours before kickoff with Georgia Tech. All players and coaches will walk through the parking lot outside Memorial Stadium before heading inside for final game preparations.

Clemson coach Tommy Bowden stepped down Monday. Receivers coach Dabo Swinney was named interim head coach. Swinney said he wants the players to feel the fans' support.

Swinney has spent much of the week trying to inflate the team's spirit after two losses in a row and the departure of their longtime head coach.

Clemson is known for its pre-game entrance when players run down the hill into Death Valley after rubbing Howard's Rock.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...k.ap/index.html

This really irks me. We had it first, maybe we should have patented it.

Swinney is a former bama player and ass't coach. I guess he liked what he saw at Auburn and decided it would be good for Clemson.

Yeah, nobody has ever walked from their quad to the stadium with the marching band before Auburn did it. :blink:

Can you prove it? <_<

Before each Auburn home football game, thousands of Auburn fans line Donahue Avenue to cheer on the team as they walk from Sewell Hall (the athletes' dormitory) to Jordan-Hare Stadium. The tradition began in the 1960s when groups of kids would walk up the street to greet the team and get autographs. During the tenure of coach Doug Barfield, the coach urged fans to come out and support the team, and thousands did. Auburn is the first known school to conduct an organized procession of players into the stadium. Today the team, led by the coaches, walks down the hill and into the stadium surrounded by fans who pat them on the back and shake their hands as they walk. The largest Tiger Walk occurred on December 2, 1989, before the first ever home football game against rival Alabama—the Iron Bowl. On that day, an estimated 20,000 fans packed the one block section of road leading to the stadium. According to former athletic director David Housel, Tiger Walk has become "the most copied tradition in all of college football."[1] As it grew in popularity, the Tiger Walk has become a fixture for road games. Fans will gather at visiting stadiums and cheer the team on from the busses into the stadium. [2]

I can. :moon:

Yeah, nobody has ever walked from their quad to the stadium with the marching band before Auburn did it. :blink:

Can you prove it? <_<

Before each Auburn home football game, thousands of Auburn fans line Donahue Avenue to cheer on the team as they walk from Sewell Hall (the athletes' dormitory) to Jordan-Hare Stadium. The tradition began in the 1960s when groups of kids would walk up the street to greet the team and get autographs. During the tenure of coach Doug Barfield, the coach urged fans to come out and support the team, and thousands did. Auburn is the first known school to conduct an organized procession of players into the stadium. Today the team, led by the coaches, walks down the hill and into the stadium surrounded by fans who pat them on the back and shake their hands as they walk. The largest Tiger Walk occurred on December 2, 1989, before the first ever home football game against rival Alabama—the Iron Bowl. On that day, an estimated 20,000 fans packed the one block section of road leading to the stadium. According to former athletic director David Housel, Tiger Walk has become "the most copied tradition in all of college football."[1] As it grew in popularity, the Tiger Walk has become a fixture for road games. Fans will gather at visiting stadiums and cheer the team on from the busses into the stadium. [2]

I can. :moon:

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

The tradition began in the 1960s

Stanford was doing "The Walk" long before the 60's.

So you are saying you copied Stanford, then? Because you damn sure didn't invent the "tradition" you stole, as you just admitted.

THE BEST WALK IN AMERICA

"There are older pre-game walks at Stanford and at Williams College. But they don't generate the passion that builds as the Auburn team makes the turn from Donahue onto Roosevelt at the south end of Jordan-Hare Stadium."

LINK

So you are saying you copied Stanford, then? Because you damn sure didn't invent the "tradition" you stole, as you just admitted.

I'm assuming you are referring to "The Elephant Stomp". I'm finding it hard it to find where anybody claimed that Alabama started this tradition. Maybe you can point it out since you are the one making the accusation. I'll be waiting on your response, circle.

As for Auburn not starting "The Walk" that everyone is stealing from them, I've already stated that Stanford was doing it before Auburn. I don't know what else you are trying to prove. It's pretty simple, Stanford started something and everyone including Auburn does it now. That Auburn screams the loudest or sings the best while doing it doesn't make them the first to do it. And it certianly doesn't mean that others who share the same mascot are stealing it from Auburn.

I'm assuming you are referring to "The Elephant Stomp". I'm finding it hard it to find where anybody claimed that Alabama started this tradition. Maybe you can point it out since you are the one making the accusation. I'll be waiting on your response, circle.

As for Auburn not starting "The Walk" that everyone is stealing from them, I've already stated that Stanford was doing it before Auburn. I don't know what else you are trying to prove. It's pretty simple, Stanford started something and everyone including Auburn does it now. That Auburn screams the loudest or sings the best while doing it doesn't make them the first to do it. And it certianly doesn't mean that others who share the same mascot are stealing it from Auburn.

Why is so important for a bammer on an Auburn board to even be concerned with this in the first place. Go figure out how to make Dumbo fly around BDS before bama games.

Why is so important for a bammer on an Auburn board to even be concerned with this in the first place. Go figure out how to make Dumbo fly around BDS before bama games.

****************************** TRANSLATION *************************************

Thread started about other schools stealing tradition from Auburn. Birmingham was asked to give proof that Auburn didn't start tradition. Birmingham gave proof that Auburn didn't start tradition. Now thread doesn't make much sense.

********************************************************************************

****************************** TRANSLATION *************************************

Thread started about other schools stealing tradition from Auburn. Birmingham was asked to give proof that Auburn didn't start tradition. Birmingham gave proof that Auburn didn't start tradition. Now thread doesn't make much sense.

********************************************************************************

On the contrary, his initial post, #3 in the thread, was a typical sarcastic injection by a bammer.

QUOTE(Birmingham @ Oct 17 2008, 10:45 AM)

Yeah, nobody has ever walked from their quad to the stadium with the marching band before Auburn did it.

Can you prove it?

Why can't you admit that the subject of this thread is ridiculous?

I'm finding it hard it to find where anybody claimed that Alabama started this tradition.

I will gladly clarify what I was saying above. First of all, I was not saying that Tiger Walk came from Auburn. I always thought that it did, but that was a discussion you were having with someone else. My part of the discussion picked up with me pointing out your implication that the idea for that part of your gameday routine at Alabama came from Stanford.

As I see it, there are only two possible choices: 1) either Alabama invented the idea or 2) it came from somewhere else.

Looks like you are saying the Elephant Walk was not invented in Tuscaloosa, which obviously is true. My next question then would be where did it come from?

You implied above that the idea came from pre-1960's Stanford. And I don't buy that for a second. I don't buy that it came from modern-day Stanford either. Rather, I think that your people decided that this was something that was hugely popular in most other SEC schools, and they decided to organize it for your gamedays. A smart move IMHO because it adds to the pageantry of gameday.

It just so happens that Auburn (your arch rival) does in fact probably have the best "walk" in college football, as documented by many sources, one of which you cited earlier. So, if you are going to add a new event to your gameday that involves organizing 10's of thousands of people, who do you look at and see "how do they do it over there?" Do you look at the biggest and best and try to borrow from them, or do you look at Stanford?

That's all I want to know. I realize you may never acknowledge that Auburn is the best pre-game walk, and that anyone starting a similar event would certainly have to consider how it is done at Auburn. But you must also realize that Tiger Walk is something that Auburn fans are extremely proud of, and you should not be shocked when we are a little defensive of that tradition as "our own" when we see new schools starting something similar.

Auburn may not have had the first, but it didn't start as a copycat either. It started because fans rooted for the players who were walking from their dorms. Again, it may not have been the first, but it IS uniquely Auburn.

Just another point. This same silly argument came up last year regarding the "locking arms" before coming onto the field. Some argued Auburn was the first. Some argued Auburn was the first to do it with the head coach in the lead. All of these arguments are silly and ridiculous.

The origins of that "tradition" are just as unique as Tiger Walk at Auburn. It certainly wasn't copied from anyone.

Archived