Coleman TO'ed about Willis

Aubie27

some of his quotes:

“I can’t believe he’s going to Alabama, I’m just shocked. He was sitting at my house two days ago, in my living room, telling me he was going to be at Auburn."

"[i'm] not even going to mess with Auburn."

“I’m going to sit down with my parents and talk about this, and probably make a decision in the next two days. Right now, though, I’m just really upset and angry over this.”

he also says, at least for now, he is still an AU commitment

per auburnundercover

some of his quotes:

“I can’t believe he’s going to Alabama, I’m just shocked. He was sitting at my house two days ago, in my living room, telling me he was going to be at Auburn."

“I’m going to sit down with my parents and talk about this, and probably make a decision in the next two days. Right now, though, I’m just really upset and angry over this.”

per auburnundercover

i think he'll be at Auburn next year. there's more upside for him here on the plains imo.

One thing for damn sure: He won't be considering UAT with Willis over there.

Just wait. Great recruiters are very persuasive.

Great recruiters may be very persuasive. Willis, however, is a long way from a great recruiter. When Joe Whitt (a great recruiter) had the Mobile area we got a LOT of great players out of there. As soon as Willis took over, the pipeline pretty much dried up.

Let Willis got to UAT, we can and will hire better.

Great recruiters may be very persuasive. Willis, however, is a long way from a great recruiter. When Joe Whitt (a great recruiter) had the Mobile area we got a LOT of great players out of there. As soon as Willis took over, the pipeline pretty much dried up.

Wrong.

We need to convince Whitt to come back as recruiting coordinator.

some of his quotes:

per auburnundercover

A little different from the quotes I read...

“He told me that he was going to be at Auburn when I came there." "

"He was sitting in my living room two nights ago and told me that."

"He also told me some not so nice things about Alabama so I am not happy about this. I didn’t know he was like that.”

“I am going to stay committed to Auburn, but I don’t know for sure what I am going to do.”

I don't see Sabban going after him now though.

Wrong.

Wrong? I count one great recruit, Mike McNeil, in three years of Willis recruiting the Mobile area. That's not good enough.

If you can add to the list of highly sought players Willis got away from UAT, LSU, FSU and others that recruit the area, please post the names.

Wrong.

Wrong? I count one great recruit, Mike McNeil, in three years of Willis recruiting the Mobile area. That's not good enough.

If you can add to the list of highly sought players Willis got away from UAT, LSU, FSU and others that recruit the area, please post the names.

McNeil, Fairley, and Ryan Williams were all recruited by Willis and had offers from Bama + others (Fairley had an FSU offer).

Lets get serious, anyone who is now claiming that Willis wasn't a good recruiter is being 100% butt-hurt. The reason why we got wiped out in Mobile after Saban was hired was because Saban personally came in and made it a priority to retake that part of the state. I dont care how good a recruiter you are as an assistant, when an elite recruiting HC with the power of the REC/state media comes in and personally challenges you like that and your own HC does nothing to fight back you are going to get demolished, especially in this state and taking into account Saban's history in Mobile (he dominated that are when he was at LSU). Willis is very well liked in Mobile and will do damage now that he is on Bama's staff.

Wrong.

McNeil, Fairley, and Ryan Williams were all recruited by Willis and had offers from Bama + others (Fairley had an FSU offer).

Lets get serious, anyone who is now claiming that Willis wasn't a good recruiter is being 100% butt-hurt. The reason why we got wiped out in Mobile after Saban was hired was because Saban personally came in and made it a priority to retake that part of the state. I dont care how good a recruiter you are as an assistant, when an elite recruiting HC with the power of the REC/state media comes in and personally challenges you like that and your own HC does nothing to fight back you are going to get demolished, especially in this state and taking into account Saban's history in Mobile (he dominated that are when he was at LSU). Willis is very well liked in Mobile and will do damage now that he is on Bama's staff.

That is only three names from the area and Ryan Williams has done nothing but stayed in academic dog house. We will be ok without Willis. I cannot name any great LB he has coached that went on to do great things. We have not had any super LBs since D. Thomas and Dansby and I do not think Willis was even here then.

Wrong.

That is only three names from the area and Ryan Williams has done nothing but stayed in academic dog house. We will be ok without Willis. I cannot name any great LB he has coached that went on to do great things. We have not had any super LBs since D. Thomas and Dansby and I do not think Willis was even here then.

Willis had only been here since the 2007 recruiting class...I am not talking about his coaching ability but the now new trend of people claiming he wasn't a good recruiter because he got his clock cleaned by Saban. No assistant should EVER be expected to out-recruit a HC. I can say as a fact that Willis is very well liked and connected in Mobile, blame Tuberville if you want for letting Saban come in and recruit the entire state while he basically just let the assistants do their thing.

Yes UAT recruited Fairley and Williams but Coach Judas got them. So far, neither one of them has contributed a thing to the Auburn football team. Again, landing one contested, contributing player (McNeil) in three years is not what Joe Whitt was getting done.

Look at this year: Coleman, with ties to Auburn and an uncle on the team, was wavering between AU and Arky fer chrissakes! Coach Judas may be well thought of, but he hasn't been getting good results.

Cute, whoever put the "Coach Judas" stuff there.

Again, landing one contested, contributing player (McNeil) in three years is not what Joe Whitt was getting done.

Question: Do you honestly believe Joe Whitt would have won a recruiting battle against Nick Saban?

Question: Do you honestly believe Joe Whitt would have won a recruiting battle against Nick Saban?

I certainly believe that Whitt would have done better than 0-fer Mobile last year, with all the highly recruited talent in the area.

Again, this coming signing period would have been W-illis's third in Mobile, and even if he'd held on to Coleman, it would have been his third year of sub-par results.

IIRC, Tuberville has gone to a number of the recruits houses down there over the past three years. Remember, the head coach is only allowed one visit to a player's home. Even with that help, we've got very little bang for our buck with JamesW in Mobile.

I certainly believe that Whitt would have done better than 0-fer Mobile last year, with all the highly recruited talent in the area.

Again, this coming signing period would have been W-illis's third in Mobile, and even if he'd held on to Coleman, it would have been his third year of sub-par results.

IIRC, Tuberville has gone to a number of the recruits houses down there over the past three years. Remember, the head coach is only allowed one visit to a player's home. Even with that help, we've got very little bang for our buck with JamesW in Mobile.

You are just wrong.

If Coach Judas is an average recruiter than why did Saban hire him? Spare me the idea the he did this JUST to "hurt" Auburn because Chizik didn't seem to really want Coach Judas anyway and Saban isn't going to waste a coaching spot to make us feel bad. Again, Coach Judas had no chance in Mobile going against Saban, and if you honestly believe that Whitt would have done significantly better than you are just confused. Where was Whitt BTW when Saban took Jamarcus Russell to LSU?

PS: Daphne HC: ""It's huge for the University of Alabama, especially after losing Lance Thompson" Daphne coach Glenn Vickery said. "We have a really good relationship with him and, from a selfish standpoint, I'm excited we're not losing him in this area.""

You are just wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're wrong. The failure of Willis to recruit players for us favors you being wrong, but whatever.

Please spare us the Coach Vickery quotes. He puts Auburn down weekly. I think it's his hobby or something.

You are just wrong.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're wrong. The failure of Willis to recruit players for us favors you being wrong, but whatever.

Please spare us the Coach Vickery quotes. He puts Auburn down weekly. I think it's his hobby or something.

Willis has recruited the area for two years.

Saban (including his time in LSU) has recruited the area for at least five and was a winner in the area while at LSU.

I am extremely concerned about totally losing that Mobile/Baldwin County area. I'll be happy if we keep Coleman and get one guy from Mobile next year.

It's true that I've got a little "sky is falling" attitude going on. But, I don't think it's without merit. The coast is full of good players, and it should be a key area for us. If we can't recruit Mobile well, we will have to do even better in places like Atlanta and Ft. Lauderdale, which will be even more difficult.

The next few weekends are big. We've got good opportunities to make headway.

I am extremely concerned about totally losing that Mobile/Baldwin County area. I'll be happy if we keep Coleman and get one guy from Mobile next year.

If we only get one guy from the Mobile area next year, it will be time to re-assign recruiting areas. If there are 10 great prospects down there and we get less than four, it's a failure on our part. Butts should be chewed and eventually, heads roll.

Tuberville and all other head coaches (even $aban the Great) are allowed only one in-home visit per player. Tuberville went and made his visits, as I'm sure Chizik will. So it's really on the assistant recruiting the area, and Willis got his clock cleaned down there for the last two years. I think we needed a change anyway.

Archived