Two from Olive Branch

Daren Bates

Ht: 6-1 Wt: 190

Position: S

Birthplace: Olive Branch, MS

Year: Class of 2009

High School: Olive Branch HS

(Olive Branch, MS)

Scout not rated (as yet) Rivals not rated (as yet)

AU VISIT 01/30/2009

Aubrey Phillips

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 345

Position: OT

Date of Birth: 02/18/1990

Year: Class of 2009

High School: Olive Branch HS

(Olive Branch, MS)

Rivals 4**** Scout 3***

Tennessee Soft Verbal

AU VISIT 01/30/2009

SCOUT

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=9&c=6&yr=2009

That is a bunch of good ones! Welcome men.

Hope you enjoy your visits and decide to come back often!

I'm over Bryce Brown. I'd rather have Oku. Brown has gotten (in the words of my old man) "a lil too big for his britches."

I totally agree. I came from a day and age where no big deal was made about recruiting except by the schools themselves and most of the time in private wars. Now,with all the media attention and recruiting "gurus' these kids are given way too much attention. They now play mind games, posturing for better deals, give coaches ulcers and show just how big headed and spoiled they are. Somebody should change how kids today are recruited and bring them back to earth as well as their sport. After all, they're not chemists or rocket scientists.....they are only high school want to be football players. Nothing more! If I were running things, I'd push for rules change and prohibit any kid from making a verbal commitment until he has completed ALL of his allowable official visits. Then, if he commits to a certain school, I'd make it binding until signing day, with some exceptions or various hardships. Another approach would be to eliminate vebals altogether and make them wait until signing day, since as it stands, verbal commitments no longer mean crap anyway. One or two years of this would bring these kids back to earth.

I totally agree. I came from a day and age where no big deal was made about recruiting except by the schools themselves and most of the time in private wars. Now,with all the media attention and recruiting "gurus' these kids are given way too much attention. They now play mind games, posturing for better deals, give coaches ulcers and show just how big headed and spoiled they are. Somebody should change how kids today are recruited and bring them back to earth as well as their sport. After all, they're not chemists or rocket scientists.....they are only high school want to be football players. Nothing more! If I were running things, I'd push for rules change and prohibit any kid from making a verbal commitment until he has completed ALL of his allowable official visits. Then, if he commits to a certain school, I'd make it binding until signing day, with some exceptions or various hardships. One or two years of this would bring these kids back to earth.

I hate to break it to you because as much as I dislike the circus that has become recruiting HS football players, (which is what I coach) it isn't going to change. The reason, there's a market for it. We the fans (collectively) have caused it. As long as there is a market for all the 'pay-sites' and blogs like this concerning recruiting, there will be ridicules press conferences and the like.

I totally agree. I came from a day and age where no big deal was made about recruiting except by the schools themselves and most of the time in private wars. Now,with all the media attention and recruiting "gurus' these kids are given way too much attention. They now play mind games, posturing for better deals, give coaches ulcers and show just how big headed and spoiled they are. Somebody should change how kids today are recruited and bring them back to earth as well as their sport. After all, they're not chemists or rocket scientists.....they are only high school want to be football players. Nothing more! If I were running things, I'd push for rules change and prohibit any kid from making a verbal commitment until he has completed ALL of his allowable official visits. Then, if he commits to a certain school, I'd make it binding until signing day, with some exceptions or various hardships. One or two years of this would bring these kids back to earth.

I hate to break it to you because as much as I dislike the circus that has become recruiting HS football players, (which is what I coach) it isn't going to change. The reason, there's a market for it. We the fans (collectively) have caused it. As long as there is a market for all the 'pay-sites' and blogs like this concerning recruiting, there will be ridicules press conferences and the like.

One thing that would help would be to move signing day up. Maybe like Dec 20.

Coach, have you had any of your players sign scholarships? I'm curious to know how much influence you have on the process, if at all. Does your HS paticipate in the "press conferences" these guys use to announce, etc? Uh ... I'm assuming you like, never coached in Memphis or "steered" any players to a particular school, of course. You don't have to say if you did or not but I don't think anybody here would mind hearing about it, though. Just saying ...

Coach, have you had any of your players sign scholarships? I'm curious to know how much influence you have on the process, if at all. Does your HS paticipate in the "press conferences" these guys use to announce, etc? Uh ... I'm assuming you like, never coached in Memphis or "steered" any players to a particular school, of course. You don't have to say if you did or not but I don't think anybody here would mind hearing about it, though. Just saying ...

I've been at my current position at this HS, which is in the Metro Atlanta area, for five years and we had thirteen kids from last years team, 5A Elite Eight in the playoffs, sign. With NO press conferences! We will have a 'signing party' at our school though. We have a couple from this years team that will sign with small colleges, but next year we have three kids that should go D1. I've already taken them to AU for summer camps and will do so this year also. So, yes I've been through the process with kids before. All I can tell you is that some kids you can influence and some you don't. We had a LB that AU wanted last year, but he signed with Vandy which was a good move for him. Better school for his degree. We talked about it, he made the decision on his on and I supported him 100%. All we do or SHOULD be doing as HS coaches is to make sure they get exposure and to help them get all their 'ducks in a row' academically. We just try to help them make a good decision for THEM.

I've been at my current position at this HS, which is in the Metro Atlanta area, for five years and we had thirteen kids from last years team, 5A Elite Eight in the playoffs, sign. With NO press conferences! We will have a 'signing party' at our school though. We have a couple from this years team that will sign with small colleges, but next year we have three kids that should go D1. I've already taken them to AU for summer camps and will do so this year also. So, yes I've been through the process with kids before. All I can tell you is that some kids you can influence and some you don't. We had a LB that AU wanted last year, but he signed with Vandy which was a good move for him. Better school for his degree. We talked about it, he made the decision on his on and I supported him 100%. All we do or SHOULD be doing as HS coaches is to make sure they get exposure and to help them get all their 'ducks in a row' academically. We just try to help them make a good decision for THEM.

Bravo for you, coach! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks! Some of us out here a trying to do this the right way.

Any chance of you telling us where you coach? If you don't want to, no big deal. I'm just curious since I graduated from Wheeler back in 98 and you said you were in metro Atlanta.

The biggest player we had while I was there was Lester Norwood, who played at Fla from 98-02. I can't remember who it was against but his most "famous" play was being on the cover of SI getting burned by a receiver.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing your insight. One more thing I was wondering about: have any of the current AU staff made it out to visit your neck of the woods yet? I realize they've been busy trying shore up the recruiting class this year, but if you've got 3 prospects for next year then I'm guessing they just might be interested a little bit, don't cha think?

jeremy hermida went to wheeler. i heckled the crap out of him making him think i was some kid that he bullied around. i did a little too much research on him because i knew i'd be sitting near him. he was looking and laughing at me when he got a bad jump on a fly ball by brian mccann for his first triple last season. i take credit for the one. the 2nd one was all on his own.

jeremy hermida went to wheeler. i heckled the crap out of him making him think i was some kid that he bullied around. i did a little too much research on him because i knew i'd be sitting near him. he was looking and laughing at me when he got a bad jump on a fly ball by brian mccann for his first triple last season. i take credit for the one. the 2nd one was all on his own.

He was a freshman when I was a sr. He was pretty good, but no one thought he'd turn into the the first pick in the draft. He's by far the best player to ever come out of that school. We had some guys play in the majors - Shane Monahan, Julius Thames. The East Cobb baseball program, which is near Wheeler, is one of the best in the country every year. Several guys playing right now came through that program. Lassiter, where Lutzenkirchen's from, was consistently one of the best teams in the state before I got there and when I was there. I think they're still pretty strong.

Anyway, back to 'cruitin...

Re. this "circus",

If nothing else, it causes transparency. We had a terrific RB @ my North Alabama h.s. in the late '70s. He wanted to play for Vince Dooley but our h.s. HC made it known he hated UGA & was militant Bama. He told this kid he'd sent film requested by Dooley when he hadn't sent anything. This guy was 5 star caliber @ a highest class (5 then) h.s. but he got so frustrated w/ the manipulation he ended up not playing football. Nobody on any paper covered any of this guys recruiting back then. He's a top dog in the biz world now.

Any chance of you telling us where you coach? If you don't want to, no big deal. I'm just curious since I graduated from Wheeler back in 98 and you said you were in metro Atlanta.

The biggest player we had while I was there was Lester Norwood, who played at Fla from 98-02. I can't remember who it was against but his most "famous" play was being on the cover of SI getting burned by a receiver.

I coach for a school that is in Region 8-5A.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing your insight. One more thing I was wondering about: have any of the current AU staff made it out to visit your neck of the woods yet? I realize they've been busy trying shore up the recruiting class this year, but if you've got 3 prospects for next year then I'm guessing they just might be interested a little bit, don't cha think?

I hope they're interested. If not, it's my job to help get them interested and I plan on doing so. These guys are 'under the radar' right no but, I believe these kids can help them. But no I haven't seen any AU coaches yet. For some reason we don't see them very often. I hope that changes with this new staff.

Archived