Give Lebo a big raise!

aucat

:cheer::au:

Who can expect AU has a better record that UKy at this point? Considering UKy paying its bb coach $4mil, Jay needs to consider to add #$# CJL's pay check, regardless what the results next week.

I 'll always remember what Jeff Lebo said before, "if I can not do it right here at AU, I am DONE!"

I believe he has a very good reputation from sports callers, and from his opposing coaches in SEC.

I will give him a big raise if i were Jay.

We broke our 7 win football streak, but we are starting a 4 win new streak from last yr, and more to come.

:bounce:

:cheer:

Did you see Barrett drop his shoulder and blow by the UA defender with the game on the line. Classic Jeff Lebo, take it hard to the rim.

Notice how during this streak the team plays tough down the stretch. If they are in the game inside of ten minutes they have taken care of business the last 8 games.

The only thing AU needs is some fans in the stands.

Did you see Barrett drop his shoulder and blow by the UA defender with the game on the line. Classic Jeff Lebo, take it hard to the rim.

Notice how during this streak the team plays tough down the stretch. If they are in the game inside of ten minutes they have taken care of business the last 8 games.

The last game of the season against LSU better be a sellout. Everybody should plan on being there.

Lebo does NOT deserve a raise. We have perhaps the easiest schedule in the SEC - that is why our record is "better." Plus, UK plays in the SEC East, which we went 1-5 against.

He got Auburn to the NIT - those were the expected goals. You don't give a raise to a man who loses to Northern Iowa and Mercer.

I think Lebo saved his job with this late run, but that is about it. He should be happy to still have his job. But no raise. Would Tuberville (if he were still the coach) or Chizik deserve a raise if he went 7-5? Because that is pretty much what Lebo just did.

Great win, but let's not forget that Auburn basketball chose the wrong year to lose games it shouldn't have.

It took a while. However he has done the impossible. Our B ball program was dead and Lebo brought it back to life. We still have some improving to do. Wow, has he done a great job. He does not need a little raise, he needs to be making seven figures +.

Don't think its a sellout. Auburnignited is giving away tickets to the game. Got a email Last Friday offereing

me two tickets and Knew I couldn't go so I gave them to my cousin. If people were lining up to buy the

tickets, don't think they would be just giving it away and plus offering free t-shirts to the first 1500 fans.

Looks like they are trying to fill the stands even if they have to give the tikets awayi

Lebo does NOT deserve a raise. We have perhaps the easiest schedule in the SEC - that is why our record is "better." Plus, UK plays in the SEC East, which we went 1-5 against.

He got Auburn to the NIT - those were the expected goals. You don't give a raise to a man who loses to Northern Iowa and Mercer.

I think Lebo saved his job with this late run, but that is about it. He should be happy to still have his job. But no raise. Would Tuberville (if he were still the coach) or Chizik deserve a raise if he went 7-5? Because that is pretty much what Lebo just did.

Great win, but let's not forget that Auburn basketball chose the wrong year to lose games it shouldn't have.

Agreed entirely. Though a run in the SEC tourney might change things.

Let's also keep in mind that NEXT year will be a HUUUUGE test for Lebo. We will lose Vot (our only TRUE inside player w/ experience), Tez (leadership), and Barrett (who really stepped his game up this year). Replacing those guys won't be an easy task. At least from a stats point of view, Vot and Barrett will REALLY hurt. It might be another tough year next year. Giving Lebo a raise this year might not be the most fiscally responsible move.

Auburn played the exact same Conference schedule at the rest of the West. They have the 2nd best Conference record in the West which is one of the reasons their record is as you say "better."

Strenght Of Schedule according to Sagarin (http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm):

LSU 154 Tennessee 15

Auburn 125 Florida 124

Mississippi State 86 Kentucky 85

Ole Miss 53 South Carolina 129

Alabama 106 Vanderbilt 122

Arkansas 121 Georgia 98

So, better than some, worse than some, and and within 4 spots of 3 teams.

Also, Auburn is 2-4 against the East.

I don't know if Coach Lebo deserves a raise, but I do like straight facts.

Auburn played the exact same Conference schedule at the rest of the West. They have the 2nd best Conference record in the West which is one of the reasons their record is as you say "better."

Strenght Of Schedule according to Sagarin (http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm):

LSU 154 Tennessee 15

Auburn 125 Florida 124

Arkansas 121 Georgia 98

Maybe you can pull up some statistics on how each team does on the road. Or at home. Or maybe how many steals each team has. Or how many turnovers. Or how many 80+ point games.

Statistics are GARBAGE if they don't mean anything.

It takes nothing more than an eyeball and half of a brain to notice that the SEC East is better and much more respected than the SEC West. It's not even a question. UF, UK, USC, and UT are all in the NCAA tourny conversation. Who is in the West? It was ONLY LSU until last night. It's like comparing the Big 12 North to the Big 12 South in Football. It isn't even close.

Now the records currently are .500 among the divisions (16-16 if I did my math right). But if you can't tell that the SEC East is a better basketball division than the SEC West, then I feel bad for you. Overall, the SEC is BAD with a capital B. So it doesn't say much for the West when it wasn't until two weeks ago that the Conference got a team in the Top 25 and the East has 3 or 4 teams that will likely make the Big Dance.

My point is - you are comparing the teams with Strength of Schedule. That means BOLOGNA. The committee doesn't look for the top 31 SOS's to fill out their at-large births.

You were right though - I forgot we beat UGA. So yes, we were 2-4.

LSU 154 Tennessee 15

Auburn 125 Florida 124

Arkansas 121 Georgia 98

Maybe you can pull up some statistics on how each team does on the road. Or at home. Or maybe how many steals each team has. Or how many turnovers. Or how many 80+ point games.

It takes nothing more than an eyeball and half of a brain to notice that the SEC East is better and much more respected than the SEC West. It's not even a question. UF, UK, USC, and UT are all in the NCAA tourny conversation. Who is in the West? It was ONLY LSU until last night. It's like comparing the Big 12 North to the Big 12 South in Football. It isn't even close.

Now the records currently are .500 among the divisions (16-16 if I did my math right). But if you can't tell that the SEC East is a better basketball division than the SEC West, then I feel bad for you. Overall, the SEC is BAD with a capital B. So it doesn't say much for the West when it wasn't until two weeks ago that the Conference got a team in the Top 25 and the East has 3 or 4 teams that will likely make the Big Dance.

My point is - you are comparing the teams with Strength of Schedule. That means BOLOGNA. The committee doesn't look for the top 31 SOS's to fill out their at-large births.

You were right though - I forgot we beat UGA. So yes, we were 2-4.

Once again, I don't know if Coach Lebo deserves a raise or not.

The SEC East is certainly better than the West. Tennessee and South Carolina are almost certainly in the NCAA Tourney and Kentucky and Florida are strong bubble teams. In the West only LSU is a lock with Auburn a probable bubble team if they can beat LSU. So, I agree with you the East is better than the West. I don't know that the West is as bad as the Big 12 North in football though.

I also agree that statistics can be useless many times. However, I am saying that if you are going to use or reference statistics that you should give us the correct statistics.

But, PC, there is a difference. Based on football, no the coach shouldn't get a raise for a 7-5 year, because we have won consistently 9-12 games a year (except for this past season). Lebo has done much, much better than previous years, at least back to 2000, and probably many years before that. Yeah, I think that not only has he saved his jub, but he should get, if not a raise, some kind of monetary reward. I don't know what's in his contract. There may be a clause for say, 20 win seasons.

I guess I grew up in a world where you get a raise for doing a great job and exceeding your expectations.

It took Lebo 5 years to get to post-season play. FIVE! LSU is doing it in ONE year with a new coach.

My point is - Lebo did a good job compared to the last few years. But those were HIS years with the program 100% in his control with nobody to blame but himself.

Since Lebo did a $h!++y job the last few years, should he had taken a pay cut? But because he FINALLY does what he should have been doing for at least 2-3 years, he deserves a raise? A raise for going to the NIT in 5 years?

You get a job and do crap for 4 years. In your 5th year you finally do as you are expected. Will you expect a promotion or a raise other than for inflation purposes (which in this economy, clearly isn't even a guarantee). I bet not.

And he has not done better than Ellis did in 02-03. We got to the Sweet 16 that year with 22 or 23 wins that year.

And you say no we wouldn't give a raise for a 7-5 record in football, but that is essentially the same thing - barely making post season play! 7-5 or 6-6 is the same as going to the NIT. You claim not to use 7-5 because of recent success (by the way, it's been 9-10 wins a year, not 9-12). But what are Chizik's expectations? Well based on last year we'd have to go with 7 wins in the first year and 8 wins the second year. Lets say he wins 5-6 games over the next 4 years. Then he finally wins 8 games in his 5th year. It took 5 years to reach the expectations that were expected in 2 years. Would you cry out "He deserves a raise! Hell, here we have been winning only 5-7 games a year for 5 years, and he finally got us to 8 and to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl!" I doubt it. And yes, it is the exact same thing.

If Lebo did this well in his first two years, I'd agree with you. But it took him 5. That's the problem. And he only met expectations for the first time. He hasn't exceeded any expectations. I don't reward that. You don't go from firing the guy to giving him a raise within the span of one month.

I'm going to agree with PC. I think he's earned the right to come back next year and our AD needs to publicly put a statement out that affirms Coach Lebo is coming back. But unless he wins the SEC tourney and/or makes the NCAA Tourney, I don't think he's earned a raise. Do either or both of those and I'll be all for a contract extension/raise.

Gladly,

On the road:

SC 2-5

UT 4-3

UF 2-5

UK 4-3

Vandy 1-6

UGA 0-7

LSU 6-1

AU 4-4

MSU 3-4

OM 1-6

UAT 1-6

Ark 0-7

So, here we see LSU is best on the road. AU is on par with UT & UK (all 4 wins). Meaning we are better than or equal to all but 1 SEC team.

At home:

SC 7-0

UT 5-2

UF 6-1

UK 4-3

Vandy 5-2

UGA 2-5

LSU 7-0

AU 5-2

MSU 4-3

OM 5-2

UAT 5-3

Ark 2-5

Ok, SC and LSU are great - undefeated. UF drops only one. AU, UT, Vandy, and OM all drop 2 at home. So 2 are better, three are equals, leaving 6 worse than that. Top half there.

What a door you opened here, Steals:

AU 270

USC 256

UF 239

LSU 233

UGA 219

UAT 217

MSU 215

Arky 207

UT 190

UK 187

Vandy 161

OM 160

Clear domination on AU's part.

80 + point games:

UAT - 8

AU - 4

UF - 15

UGA - 3

UK - 9

LSU 12

MSU 8

OM 6

SC 14

UT 10

Vandy 5

WE suck here. BUT........#1 scoring D and #2 TO margin lets you slide a bit.

Overall, we are not a bad team in the SEC, not saying much, but that was the benchmark of comparison in the original post.

Does Lebo deserve a raise? Probably not. But he deserves more time.........as I and a very few others have believed for a few years now. I think we are growing and improving. If you buy a house and the grass is DEAD, regardless of the amount of fertilizer you throw on it - nothing happens. You have to re-seed and let it take root. That is what Lebo had to do. It was a major deficit to overcome and I expected more than 4 years to have the 'green grass'. It isn't there yet, but we are improving and I like it.

Link to the stink

The thing is, next year the basketball program doesn't look fantastic either. A lot of key and/or best players will be gone.

Thats why they play the games PC. Otherwise we could just give Bama a national championship every year since they are recruiting the best players using your logic. I am not saying he deserves a raise but he deserves your credit and respect. Be a true AU man and cheer for your team when we are enjoying good times. It must really be aweful to have such a negative approach in life and for everything dealing with Auburn. Sometimes I wonder whether you would be happy if we won the national championship or not. I agree with you sometimes but I just dont see why you must always find the bad in everything. Example.)your rationale that we have no chance of making the NCAA tournament! News flash--It might be slim but we do have a chance. I BELIEVE!

Kentucky and Florida losing last night helps. I think the chances of an NCAA bid are pretty slim, but, PC, I choose to take an optimistic view while keeping both firm firmly on reality's ground.

I'm going to agree with PC. I think he's earned the right to come back next year and our AD needs to publicly put a statement out that affirms Coach Lebo is coming back. But unless he wins the SEC tourney and/or makes the NCAA Tourney, I don't think he's earned a raise. Do either or both of those and I'll be all for a contract extension/raise.

Kevin Scarbinsky said the same thing yesterday in The Birmingham News. That Gouge or Jacobs needs to make that public statement. I completely disagree and Bill and Dan agreed with me on Sports Call yesterday. I think Coach Lebo's return is a foregone conclusion. I can only see him leaving if someone hires him away. This season marks only the third time Auburn has finished over .500 in SEC play. By the way, the other 2 seasons were 98-99 (14-2) and 99-00 (9-7). That means a win Sat. against LSU would be the 2nd best SEC record since conference expansion in 91-92. Firing Lebo due to the performance of his basketball team should be out of the realm of possiblility at this point.

The thing is, next year the basketball program doesn't look fantastic either. A lot of key and/or best players will be gone.

PC, I have to disagree. Auburn will miss Barber and Barrett tremendously. Robertson will also be missed. His offense may not be anywhere near what he and the team would hope for, but he is a great defender and his 4 boards a game are nice too. I suspect Auburn will miss the leadership from all 3 of the seniors.

However, Hargrove, Reed, Waller, Sullivan, Knox, and Lett will be back (with a few others). They will have a minimum of 1 year playing together. Chemistry is important. 6-5 guard and Oklahoma transer Tony Neysmith and 6-7 forward and Indiana transfer Brandon McGee will become eligible. They have both been with the team this season, so they should be very comfortable with the staff and the system.

The recruits seem solid. They are:

Andre Malone 6-4 guard from Atlanta

Earnest Ross 6-4 guard from North Carolina

Ken Gabriel 6-7 forward from Texas (playing for a high school in North Carolina)

Robert Chubb 6-9 forward from Florida

Yes PC, all the recruits might turn out to be terrible and the transfers may not work out. However, I choose to remain optimistic. My Auburn basketball glass is at least half full.

Thats why they play the games PC. Otherwise we could just give Bama a national championship every year since they are recruiting the best players using your logic. I am not saying he deserves a raise but he deserves your credit and respect. Be a true AU man and cheer for your team when we are enjoying good times. It must really be aweful to have such a negative approach in life and for everything dealing with Auburn. Sometimes I wonder whether you would be happy if we won the national championship or not. I agree with you sometimes but I just dont see why you must always find the bad in everything. Example.)your rationale that we have no chance of making the NCAA tournament! News flash--It might be slim but we do have a chance. I BELIEVE!

We do have a chance, yes. But I don't let myself believe in something that isn't going to happen. It just sets me up for disappointment. I still recall when Carlos Rogers or Junior Rosegreen or somebody kept thinking after the SEC Championship "People are going to be surprised, we are getting to the BCS Championship game. It's going to happen." His reasoning was because he believed it and because the team had overcome so much. Yea, he wasn't even close as Auburn wasn't even close to making it that year.

I celebrate when the W's come. Til then, Auburn has proven nothing to me to believe they should win any basketball games. This program isn't good enough to think a certain game is an automatic win. This program doesn't have the national respect (nor does it deserve that respect yet) to get into the NCAA Tournament like a Florida or Tennessee does. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

I cheer for Auburn in every game. I think they have a chance to win every game. It's not looking at it negatively, it's looking at it realistically in my eyes. I was happily wrong about Auburn going 3-0 over these past 3 games. At the same time I never thought it couldn't happen though. But I am happier seeing them go 3-0 not expecting it than I would if we were 2-1 having expected 3-0, or even 3-0 having expected it. I don't think this program sucks nor do I think they can't win anything. I just don't expect them to do much and enjoy it when they do pull of some nice W's.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how much time is left on his contract, but he's earned another year or two...this year's team showed improvement down the stretch, but an NIT appearance doesn't warrant a raise.

Archived