Just got back

PChamp119

So I just got back from being out all day and came straight to AUNation and went to Basketball Forum and scrolled to the bottom - didn't want to read anything that could spoil the result of the game. So I slowly scrolled up to "Game Thread" and read about 80% of it (skipped like pages 2 and 4). I really enjoyed reading the thread. When I read that Tez blocked the shot (or something like that) I was getting ready to post my congrats then I read you guys starting trashing me (perhaps well deserved). I just want to make it clear that I am making this post not because of you guys, but because I felt like it beforehand.

Sounded like a great game by the Tigers. Great to see them win a big game with some pressure on it. This is what you expect of an experienced team. I was wrong about perhaps losing this game, and happy about it. Though I still don't think it is enough to get into the NCAA tournament (more work and help is still needed), the team is improving and giving lots to cheer for.

That said, UF was/ will be an easier game than UT will be. UT is on a roll, much like Auburn. I would say this is the statement game that is needed. If AU can somehow pull this one off, they'll have my vote and would think it would take a lot to keep AU out (though I don't necessarily think it will clinch them in either).

I am going to quit talking like the UT game is the deciding factor and that AU should feel accomplished because that is not the case. Great win today (yesterday), but I don't consider this a successful week yet. Let's see how they continue to perform. One game isn't enough.

I'll end up sleeping through the UT game, but I'll do the same thing again. I hope the results are similar, but I'm not the optimistic one.

So I just got back from being out all day and came straight to AUNation and went to Basketball Forum and scrolled to the bottom - didn't want to read anything that could spoil the result of the game. So I slowly scrolled up to "Game Thread" and read about 80% of it (skipped like pages 2 and 4). I really enjoyed reading the thread. When I read that Tez blocked the shot (or something like that) I was getting ready to post my congrats then I read you guys starting trashing me (perhaps well deserved). I just want to make it clear that I am making this post not because of you guys, but because I felt like it beforehand.

Sounded like a great game by the Tigers. Great to see them win a big game with some pressure on it. This is what you expect of an experienced team. I was wrong about perhaps losing this game, and happy about it. Though I still don't think it is enough to get into the NCAA tournament (more work and help is still needed), the team is improving and giving lots to cheer for.

That said, UF was/ will be an easier game than UT will be. UT is on a roll, much like Auburn. I would say this is the statement game that is needed. If AU can somehow pull this one off, they'll have my vote and would think it would take a lot to keep AU out (though I don't necessarily think it will clinch them in either).

I am going to quit talking like the UT game is the deciding factor and that AU should feel accomplished because that is not the case. Great win today (yesterday), but I don't consider this a successful week yet. Let's see how they continue to perform. One game isn't enough.

I'll end up sleeping through the UT game, but I'll do the same thing again. I hope the results are similar, but I'm not the optimistic one.

Can I give a suggestion on the wording, as I am not an optimist either:

I think the team has worked hard but due to some ranked teams not winning their conference and bubble teams getting the automatic bid in the eyes of the committee the team needs one more solid win. With that said UT is a trap game, a team we beat already this year, a team on the upslope, It will be a much harder game then UF as UT is fundamentally the most solid team in the SEC, but I also think AU has shaken off the bye game blues.

BTW nice to see 4 teams from the West in the final SEC 4

Just saying from one pessimist to the other, make sure you don't bring back anything through customs that wasn't yours we need your counter point on this board (well maybe not all the time but..)

i think in most parts of the country, that would be called a "back-handed compliment."

I've said this from the very start. If Auburn beats UF (done) and UT (done) we're in. PC, I don't know what else you need to see, but the simple fact is: 1) the SEC is going to get more than 2 teams in the field (I think it'll be four) and 2) if Auburn wins this game, we're the clear number 3 team. If we win today, we'll be in the Dance win, lose, or draw on Sunday.

I'm coming around to this mindset as well.

I cannot remember a year when one of the "Big Six" power conferences got fewer than 3 teams in the field, at least in the era of the 64-team field.

A win today and I think we make a solid case to be that 3rd team.

I'm coming around to this mindset as well.

I cannot remember a year when one of the "Big Six" power conferences got fewer than 3 teams in the field, at least in the era of the 64-team field.

A win today and I think we make a solid case to be that 3rd team.

After UT and LSU, who else could go but us? USC lost, Florida lost, UK doesn't have a prayer. Florida can't go ahead of us because we just beat them. If Florida goes, we have to go too.

Miss St is a problem. If they win the tourney, they take the third bid and might bump Auburn, but I don't see USC getting in over us.

PC, I don't think you are a Bammer. If you were you a Bammer you would be ex-communicated from the religion of the Bear for having an Auburn avatar and occasionally posting pro-Auburn things.

However, I do believe your pessimism and negativity distorts the reality of things much like an Auburn homer's "homerism" distorts reality in the opposite direction.

The reality of things right now:

Auburn is 9-3 in their last 12. With a loss today they would still be 9-3 in their last 12. With a win today and a loss tomorrow they would 10-2 in their last 12. No other bubble team in the country can say that right now.

Auburn went 10-6 in their league. With a loss today they would be 11-7 overall. With a win today and a loss tomorrow they would be 12-7. No other bubble team can say that.

With State winning the past two days, that helps Auburn's case. We swept them and the games weren't even that close. That gives us two more wins against the Top 100.

A hot team according to people at ESPN right now is Maryland. Maryland went 7-9 in the ACC. Even with a win today and a loss tomorrow in the title game, they would be 10-10 overall. I think their should be an automatic disqualification from getting an at large bid if you can't win at least half your league games. I don't care how supposedly tough your league is. If you want to compare common opponents, there's the Virginia Cavaliers. Auburn went up to Virginia and came away with a victory. Maryland went there last week and came away with an embarassing loss against a lame duck team.

All of the above are facts that says Auburn has a case. Saying that they have to win again to have an argument is ridiculous, especially since they are playing a tough team with a RPI in the top 20 (UT).

My opinion: They might not make it if they lose today, but it's not because they didn't have a competitive resume. It would be because of an overall lack of respect for the SEC due to our youth this season.

One more thing to add:

If Auburn loses tomorrow in the SEC title game (assuming it isn't an absolute blowout) and Maryland loses today to Duke, there is no way that Maryland should get a bid over Auburn. If they do, it is a sham and I probably wouldn't watch the tournament.

That's not saying I wouldn't fill out a bracket or two! :big:

Archived