UGA gets new HC

SouthLink02

Mark Fox - Nevada Basketball Coach

Who? My thoughts exactly

Mark Fox (born January 13, 1969) is the current head men's basketball coach at the University of Nevada. He was named head coach for the Wolf Pack on June 1, 2004, just days after former coach Trent Johnson resigned to become the head coach at Stanford. With four seasons under his belt at Nevada, Fox has compiled a 102-30 record (.773 winning percentage) and four straight post-season appearances, including three straight NCAA Tournament appearances between 2005-2007 and the inaugural CBI Tournament in 2008.

Yippie

Impressive record but come on it is Nevada, but he took over for Trent Johnson who just won the SEC in his first year at LSU.

Averaged over 20 wins a season at Nevada. That's pretty good in any league.

Reggie Theus would have been a great hire for UGA. Still can't believe they didn't consider him.

RENO, Nev. -- Longtime assistant David Carter was promoted Friday to replace Mark Fox as Nevada's coach.

Carter, 42, has been an assistant at Nevada since then-coach Trent Johnson hired him in 1999. He was elevated to associate head coach in 2004 when Johnson was hired by Stanford and Fox took over.

"David brings great integrity and competitiveness to this position and he is the right person to continue to lead the Wolf Pack basketball program forward," athletic director Cary Groth said at an afternoon news conference. "He provides continuity and has played a significant role in building the foundation that has made our program so successful."

Nevada has posted six consecutive 20-win seasons and seven straight postseason appearances, four in the NCAA tournament.

"This program is not going backward, I promise that," Carter said.

The terms of Carter's five-year contract were not immediately released.

Fox told reporters during the announcement of his hiring at Georgia on Friday morning that he expected Carter to get the job. Fox also announced that he is taking assistant coach Kwanza Johnson with him to Georgia.

more at: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4040989

Reggie Theus would have been a great hire for UGA. Still can't believe they didn't consider him.

Doesn't he come across as a pretentious prick on tv, or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

Doesn't he come across as a pretentious prick on tv, or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

There are so many pretentious pricks on tv it's really hard to say.

• 2 weeks later...

He seems like a better coach than Felton

Congrats on joining the party 2 weeks later

There is no comparing the two whether it is wins against ranked teams, NCAA tournament wins, etc....so there is no "seems" especially since we know how utterly terrible Felton ends up and what a joke of a recruiter he was in this state.

but he's not who UGA should've gotten.

I appreciate your in depth high school knowledge but considering every LSU fan I knew shook their head in disgust when Trent was hired, I will take an LSU fan (even one not even in college yet) not liking this hire as a good thing for our future. And please....spare me the talk like you have the faintest clue about his time at Nevada. You sound as stupid as Georgia Tech or even UGA fans trying to discuss Fox when nobody saw a single minute of him coaching the last 3-4 years (unless you got their feed in the NCAA Tournament which the Southeast rarely did). Just do what you should be doing and admit you know nothing about him. It saves us all a lot of time.

He seems like a better coach than Felton

Congrats on joining the party 2 weeks later

There is no comparing the two whether it is wins against ranked teams, NCAA tournament wins, etc....so there is no "seems" especially since we know how utterly terrible Felton ends up and what a joke of a recruiter he was in this state.

but he's not who UGA should've gotten.

I appreciate your in depth high school knowledge but considering every LSU fan I knew shook their head in disgust when Trent was hired, I will take an LSU fan (even one not even in college yet) not liking this hire as a good thing for our future. And please....spare me the talk like you have the faintest clue about his time at Nevada. You sound as stupid as Georgia Tech or even UGA fans trying to discuss Fox when nobody saw a single minute of him coaching the last 3-4 years (unless you got their feed in the NCAA Tournament which the Southeast rarely did). Just do what you should be doing and admit you know nothing about him. It saves us all a lot of time.

Christ, dude. I have other things to do than post on a message board on a daily basis-particuraly a part of the board that's incredibly slow, I might add.

every lsu fan was pissed? :roflol: You're ******* kidding me, right? There were tons of LSU fans ecstatic about the hire-including me. He did great at Stanford, so what led me to believe he'd fail at LSU? We wanted Brady gone as bad as UGA fans do w/ Martinez.

You don't have to be a total bitch when conversing w/ a fan of a school you despise. Saying every LSU fan was pissed about the hire shows you should admit that you have no freaking clue about the consensus of the logical part of LSU's fanbase on the hiring of TJ.

Christ, dude. I have other things to do than post on a message board on a daily basis-particuraly a part of the board that's incredibly slow, I might add.

Like what? You have to prepare for recess on Monday?

You don't have to be a total bitch when conversing w/ a fan of a school you despise.

Don't say something stupid and you won't be treated as such

Like what? You have to prepare for recess on Monday?

You don't have to be a total bitch when conversing w/ a fan of a school you despise.

Don't say something stupid and you won't be treated as such

Oh, I don't know; maybe I'm on spring break and am hanging out w/ friends rather coverse w/ 6-7 people about UGA's hiring of your mediocre coach.

Stupid? His record at Nevada regressed the farther he went into his time there, so I see no reason in speculating that he road the talent Coach Johnson brought in. How dumb was I to even think for a second that could be the case. Would you like me sound even dumber by saying,"Awesome hire, Slink!. This guy is exactly what UGA wanted"?

Oh, I don't know; maybe I'm on spring break and am hanging out w/ friends

Yet you are bumping a 2 week old thread about our HC hiring? Well, you must have a rowdy set of friends on spring break. Maybe you will get crazy and bump a few day old MLB thread in the baseball forum next?

As for his record at Nevada, I will say again what I said to you above....why are you discussing something you haven't the faintest clue about? You do realize he lost just about his entire team to graduation after his 3rd year, correct? Yet he still won the regular season conference the following year....oh, and finished a terrible 2nd this year too with 21 wins. Or the fact that he coached several NBA players at Nevada that he brought on? Or his current recruitment at Nevada of several Top 150 players?

Please, spare me, little boy. Fox may be barely better than Felton, Fox may be the best HC we have had in some time. But I do get a kick out of people like you trying to decide either way when you have never seen him coach nor know a single thing about him. Think of it this way...when Fox took over Nevada 5 years ago....you were barely cracking middle school

Oh, I don't know; maybe I'm on spring break and am hanging out w/ friends

Yet you are bumping a 2 week old thread about our HC hiring? Well, you must have a rowdy set of friends on spring break. Maybe you will get crazy and bump a few day old MLB thread in the baseball forum next?

I bumped a thread that was was no more than 4 threads down. WHOAH! Almsot forgot this part of the board was so lively. :rolleyes:

Not posting for around two weeks justifies that I'm not on here frequently, spring break or not.

Little boy? Oh, how degrading. :rolleyes:

You certainly treat it like the media is lauding this hire. Most are saying it's a decent, not great hire.

Miles' record regress this past season has fueled the theory that he road the talent Saban brought in; however, that can't be the case for a UGA-hired coach? It's a double-edged sword, my friend. I have every reason to believe the criteria used for judging Miles' coaching ability could/should be used for grading UGA's hire.

There was nothing degrading in that. Just calling you what you are.

You certainly treat it like the media is lauding this hire.

Really, what quotes exactly have I said that make me seem like...and I want to get this right...that "the media lauding this hire"? Was my initial quote on this thread of "Who? My thoughts exactly" a little too arrogant for your taste?

And what the hell are you talking about with Miles? Fox made it to the tournament with players he recruited, won the regular season title with players he recruited, and had Top 150 players coming in this year before he took our job. Nevada fans on their own forum even applaud him for not just his recruiting but the fact that he put players in the NBA the last few years.

Nowhere in my above post am I saying Fox is a 100% lock to succeed but simply rebutting your persistent stupidity of trying to act like you have any clue about the man. I would take your argument more seriously if I thought you could name a single player on Nevada's team the last 5 years but I know you couldn't....I know, you will google someone and claim you knew it.

There was nothing degrading in that. Just calling you what you are.

You certainly treat it like the media is lauding this hire.

Really, what quotes exactly have I said that make me seem like...and I want to get this right...that "the media lauding this hire"? Was my initial quote on this thread of "Who? My thoughts exactly" a little too arrogant for your taste?

And what the hell are you talking about with Miles? Fox made it to the tournament with players he recruited, won the regular season title with players he recruited, and had Top 150 players coming in this year before he took our job. Nevada fans on their own forum even applaud him for not just his recruiting but the fact that he put players in the NBA the last few years.

Nowhere in my above post am I saying Fox is a 100% lock to succeed but simply rebutting your persistent stupidity of trying to act like you have any clue about the man. I would take your argument more seriously if I thought you could name a single player on Nevada's team the last 5 years but I know you couldn't....I know, you will google someone and claim you knew it.

Well, I know Nick Fazekas (sp.). <_<

My point is was that sites like Rivals were questioning this hire and calling it an OK hire. I concluded that you disregarded that sort of viewpoint because my speculation-which was est. over the thoughts of sites such as Scout and Rivals-was not in favor of the hire. Obviously you came in more open-minded in looking for answers rather have the black and red glasses on. My apologies, but I thought it would be more courtious in just disagreeing rather brush off as a total a**hole. It's a freaking message board, a message board that is slow compared to other boards. I still don't get your flame on how I revived a thread that wasn't even halfway down the board. What's wrong with chiming in my thoughts two weeks later? Is it a crime?

As for the age: C'mon! You know you wrote that as a sort of flame...whether you'll admit it or not. I dion't mind it, and in most cases it's true. But what relevance does it bring to this thread? I guess how naive I am.

btw, you've somewhat swayed my view on UGA's hire; HOWEVER, like I said earlier,"He wasn't who UGA wanted". Congrats on landing Coach Fox. I'm just hoping the SEC will finally emerge as a basketball power.

SLink, you need to give the corndog some lessons on sentence structure and whatnot. I had a hard time reading his last mangled piece of writing.

Archived