Lineman at AU Camps

mattd

I was curious if anyone knows if there were any standouts at the cmps from some lineman we haven't heard about before? There's a kid from here in Moody (Chad Slade) that's got good size to him, but doesn't seem to get your attention during the game...he attended a camp at AU and has MSU offer

That is something that is starting to get me concerned. I am very excited by the efforts of our new staff, but Oline seems to be our most glaring weakness in terms of numbers and I don't see where we are doing much to address it.

Matbe some of the recruiting gurus on here could give us some insight on how we are looking in this area.

I'm concerned with our inablity to recruit top notch O linemen and this class so far, doesn't address that need.

I'm concerned with our inablity to recruit top notch O linemen and this class so far, doesn't address that need.

Don't underestimate Shon Coleman. And Chase Hughes will be a solid pickup as well. Real solid.

I would like to see us in the mix for some others though. I think James Stone is very interested in Tennessee. We might miss out on him. He's a good looking kid, sports a 3.8 GPA. If I were Curtis Luper, I would send every coach to his house.

But don't fret...the recruiters we have know what they're doing.

The recruiters we had knew what they were doing the last couple of years as well :rolleyes: We are seriously thin at OL. We haven't recruited OL for over two years. If we don't have a solid class this year, signing any number of the top 3 RBs will mean crap.

The recruiters we had knew what they were doing the last couple of years as well :rolleyes: We are seriously thin at OL. We haven't recruited OL for over two years. If we don't have a solid class this year, signing any number of the top 3 RBs will mean crap.

Oh, I forgot about Eric Mack. Auburn has a great shot to land him.

If we don't have a solid class this year, signing any number of the top 3 RBs will mean crap.

You make a very good point here. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the OL we are recruiting. And even though their recruitments aren't making the headlines, Luper and Co. are working hard at landing them.

I hope you are right. I know Lache was trying to get somebody to visit. The OL class won't make headlines, so I'm hoping it is more of the fact that it just hasn't been publicized heavily by the media.

We lead for Eric Mack, Chase Hughes, and the tackle from California JUCO. I doubt we get either Damien Robinson or James Stone. I think we have a decent shot at Aleon Calhoun in Texas. If we get the first three, that gives us four linemen - 3 tackles and 1 center/guard. There are a few others out there so I think we could end up with 5 or perhaps even 6. Of that number, at least 2, probably the tackles, will get early playing time in 2010, probably even Chase Hughes filling in behind Pugh who will be a senior at that time.

So we'll see what happens. I have no doubt we'll end up with about 5 or 6 linemen, they just might not end up being all the guys we want.

Ryan

The main concern I have is getting a top notch OT...we've got a center and 2 guards interested...and an OT in Colemen that needs to gain about 30-40 lbs...dpends on how much he really weighs...but we really need 2-3 OT's...

Listen, we had different recruiters in the last couple of years. And I think you'll agree, these are better.

This thread hasn't gotten heated so far. Let's at least try to keep it that way.

I'm not worried about our recruiters I think they are good...I mainly was curious about who we had at our camps that might have us on the radar we hadn't heard about....anyway the kid Slade I mentioned is 6'6 320 and is athletic..but would be a project

Also, dont' forget, it's common for an outstanding player we can get to emerge during the upcoming high school season who wasn't either mentioned or thought that highly of going into the season.

Just got my answer on Rivals...AU is interested in Slade...he may wind up getting an offer soon. He only played DL for whatever reason but he has alot of upside...problem is we need players now.

Slade has talked to the coaches..it's a wait and see thing....I've watched him play and he is big and moves ok, but not a dominator. This will be his first yr to play OT if that tells you anything. He mainly played DE and didn't do much @ Moody....good kid though..with coaching and getting a little meaner who knows...got the size

Archived