GEORGIA question for Stat or anyone who can answer...

33gles

How does Georgia's D-line look?

What is the most likely plan they could come up with on the O-line to deal with Big Nick?

Let's talk some FOOTBALL here people!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!

edit: Actually, even if you can't answer, talk some predictions or hopes for the game in here. I want some football talk at the top of the forum.

They have great edge rushers (Harrison in particular is going to cause us fits), but the thing I've noticed about them all year is that their NG/Interior Tackle (since they play a 3-4) really doesn't have the beef that a typical interior lineman would have in that system. I thought they looked soft up the middle (ILBs included) against UF. I fully expect us to try to exploit that because if we're in predictable down/distance they'll show us how they've tallied so many sacks.

As for the OL, they're an experienced group. I don't think we're going to see a lot of gimmicks against Fairley. They are an I-formation team when they are doing what they do best. I think we're going to see them try to run the ball in power formations and work down the field on play action. That's Richt's identity, and that's their personnel. Murray is extremely successful as a deep passer, and AJ Green is the best "go up and get it" receiver in the country. They aren't a big play run game, but they are good enough to keep you close enough to hurt you with the pass. Bynes and Stevens need to play solid run defense. From what I've seen of UGA this year, they attack you on the sidelines and deep down the field with the passing game, but they aren't likely to burn us crossing behind the LBs. They have to play stiff in run support, and that will allow Fairley to have a bigger impact as a pass rusher.

By the way, we're such an oddly built defensive team. We have one traditional DT, but our LBs are really the ones we rely on to stuff the run. Then we have another explosive DT that we rely on to rush the passer. We have no real, consistent edge rush. Our Safeties are better against the run, but they are below average (to be nice) with the ball in the air. Just an odd defensive team.

I don't know if Stat is on vacation or not posting because of all the other junk or what. I have been looking all week for his insights and so far nothing . Any one know any thing. I even IM'ed him and got no response.

They have great edge rushers (Harrison in particular is going to cause us fits), but the thing I've noticed about them all year is that their NG/Interior Tackle (since they play a 3-4) really doesn't have the beef that a typical interior lineman would have in that system. I thought they looked soft up the middle (ILBs included) against UF. I fully expect us to try to exploit that because if we're in predictable down/distance they'll show us how they've tallied so many sacks.

As for the OL, they're an experienced group. I don't think we're going to see a lot of gimmicks against Fairley. They are an I-formation team when they are doing what they do best. I think we're going to see them try to run the ball in power formations and work down the field on play action. That's Richt's identity, and that's their personnel. Murray is extremely successful as a deep passer, and AJ Green is the best "go up and get it" receiver in the country. They aren't a big play run game, but they are good enough to keep you close enough to hurt you with the pass. Bynes and Stevens need to play solid run defense. From what I've seen of UGA this year, they attack you on the sidelines and deep down the field with the passing game, but they aren't likely to burn us crossing behind the LBs. They have to play stiff in run support, and that will allow Fairley to have a bigger impact as a pass rusher.

By the way, we're such an oddly built defensive team. We have one traditional DT, but our LBs are really the ones we rely on to stuff the run. Then we have another explosive DT that we rely on to rush the passer. We have no real, consistent edge rush. Our Safeties are better against the run, but they are below average (to be nice) with the ball in the air. Just an odd defensive team.

Thanks, I haven't payed as much attention to UGA this season as I usually do, so I'm sadly behind on the matchups. I'm hoping for close coverage on that deep passing game to open things up for a HUGE game for Big Nick.

Here's a quote from a Dawg fan on one of their blog spots: "If we have to depend on our offensive line to win this one, we're screwed."

Their defense has some flashy run "D" stats, but a lot of that comes from Vandy gaining 6 yards and two similar teams gaining 14 or so. The teams that actually tried to run on them, USCe, Colorado and Florida all gained 230 or more rushing.

I believe to beat us, A.J. Green will have to get away for four or five long touchdowns. Which makes me glad to hear that T. Bell will be returning to cornerback. Even if Bell isn't at full speed, one of our players that I dearly love (as I do all Auburn players) usually gives up around six bombs a year. He's already given up four this season, so it's unlikely that Green gets four more.

Georgia has a freshman QB who is pretty mobile but not experienced. Pressure with the front four, let the LB's play the run and hope for the best on the long passes.

We should be able to run for around 400 yards, a couple hundred more passing and win by a nice margin.

If this weren't the UGA/Auburn series where history practically demands that an underdog visiting team ruins a great season for the home team, I'd swear we win by three TD's. Still, we did it in 2004, so it can be done. I think we either win big or lose, I don't see another win coming down to the last drive.

Now I'll bow out and let the real experts comment.:)

I've got to imagine that we are going to tear them up on the ground. A 3-4 can be very effective against the run because most teams don't have such incredible down-field tackling. Auburn is not most teams. Not only is our o-line great with run blocking, but eric smith, LutzenKILLA, and the receivers all have LIT UP LB's, CB's, and safeties down field. It's how OMac's end arounds go from a good 7-12 yards to 70 yard TD's and its how Cam's scrambles go from a modest 4 yard recovery to 12-50 yard spectacles.

I expect the Dawgs to blitz from many different angles, but I think that if they attempt it too often from the edge, we will destroy them up the middle. This could be a HUGE game for Dyer in such a circumstance.

The Key for this offense is for Malzahn to establish rushing and get UGA to react to his playcalling. Really we need either OMac to hit the end-around or Dyer to bust 4-5 yds up the middle multiple times. When the LB's start cheating to cover a predictable rush, thats when we break off a huge Play action and cut 'em deep through the heart of their struggling secondary.

Defensively, I shouldn't say a thing, many of you may know that I am a believer in this Defense and I get the vibe that that isn't a common sentiment with most of the people on these boards. If we can mostly shut down Greene like we did with Alshon Jeffery, UGA will have a hard time moving the ball against us at all.

And just like LSU predictably threw to Randle on every 3rd down, the same thing is going to happen with Green.

We didn't "mostly shutdown" Jeffrey. I find that to be a crazy assertion. He went off in that game. Jeffrey's line: 8 catches, 192 yards, 2 TDs. That's a career night. And he's not alone there. Greg Childs (Arkansas) torched us for 9 catches, 164 yards, 2 TDs. I actually thought we did okay against Randall Cobb, but even he accounted for 7 catches, 11 carries, 115 total yards, and 3 TDs.

I fully expect Green to carve us up, but I think we can take that. We're not going to shut people down. The key for us is defending the run so that it's not an avalanche. If it's just the passing game, I don't expect anyone to keep pace with our offense.

I'm okay if you want to say you expect a big game from the defense. The starters have actually been playing pretty well of late. Solid against LSU, solid for three relevant quarters against Ole Miss, and a solid first quarter against UTC. They're playing better, and I hope/expect that to continue. That said, we're going to struggle with Green all night. The key is having a short memory and moving on. Don't let his big catches (they will happen) beat you two plays in a row, and we'll be okay.

Archived