"The Tragedy of Camlet"

jaredm2012

Ridiculousness...

http://thetragedyofcamlet.com/new/the-play/

Cam gets Shakespearean Treatment

In just one season at Auburn, Cam Newton has received the Heisman treatment, the David Letterman treatment, the NCAA treatment, and the Auburn family treatment. Now, the prince of the Tigers is receiving a Shakespearean treatment.

Freelance music correspondent for The Birmingham News Jeremy Burgess combined his love of Shakespeare and SEC football to create The Tragedy of Camlet, a five-act play featuring modern-day characters and situations in Shakespearean form and language.

"The whole dynamic between Cam and his father struck me as very Shakespearean," Burgess said.

"I told some friends about the idea (to turn the story into a play) and they told me 'You're the only one who's going to do that.'"

So Burgess began with Camlet as a Florida Gator, playing for Lord Urban Meynaldo and Dan Mullonious, as the back-up to Tim Tebratiow, and follows the young prince through his days in exile at Blinn Junior College to his re-recruitment and playing days at Auburn.

Burgess said he has the play outlined but is writing it as he goes, partly to account for ongoing developments such as Urban Meyer's resignation from Florida. After all, as we learn in Act I, Scene II, "Something is rotten in the state of Gainesville."

In Act II, Scene III, which will be published tomorrow at 8 a.m., Auburn coach Gene Chizik makes his first appearance in the play as Queen Genetrude.

The cast of characters also includes Nick Sabanbras, King NCAAdius, and of course Kenny Rogencrantz and John Bondinstern.

ActIIsceneii.jpgPhoto illustration by Drew MorrisPrince Camlet meets travelers Kenny Rogencrantz and John Bondinstern in Act II, Scene II.

The first two acts will be complete after tomorrow's posting, and Burgess will publish a new scene every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, leading up to the BCS Championship Game.

Burgess graduated from Birmingham-Southern but describes himself as a life-long Auburn fan. Graphic designer Drew Morris, who created the Web site and photo illustrations, is a recent Auburn graduate.

Prince Camlet also has his own Facebook page and Twitter account, which drops such gems of wisdom as:

"Meynaldo dost cite "health concerns" o'er his resignation? Methinks my stats hath made him ill."

"'Pony Excess' to be shown following my Heisman speech? Ay, I see what thou hast done there, ESPN. Thou must take me for an arrant knave."

"Spurriertes, mine army didst slaughter thine. Onward! Bring forth more reporters who wish to drink of my Cammy Cam Juice!"

"Spurriertes, be thy quarterback a Spaniard? Ay, then I shall play the matador. Charge, o little calf. Thrown thine erratic passes."

Archived