MP3 Players

MDM4AU

I am looking at getting a portable MP3 player and I was wondering, besides the Apple iPod, are there any suggestions on a good one. I am not sure what I want to spend. I definitely don't want to spend more than the $250 it costs for the iPod Mini. That's even a bit higher than I would really prefer but I understand that there isn't a better one than that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a RIO Nitrus which has been great for me. It has 1.5 GB of memory which means it will hold about 750 WMA files or 375 MP3 files. Trust me, that is alot of music and I can't see any reason to by any of those 10 GB or higher models unless you plan on being away from home for a few months. :lol: It will break it down into genre, title, album, and artist. It uses a 2.0 USB port and loads up really fast. I bought mine at Best Buy for just a little over $200.

RIO website

I have a few friends that have had iPods and had problems with the software working well with their PC. I think you have to buy a firewire for it work with your PC properly.I did not know much about them at first so I shopped around for a few months and hit up all the techie websites for user reviews, so I would suggest you do the same. Two things I do not like about my RIO is that it does not come with a holder or clip for working out and that the internal lithium battery well rund down after being dormat for a few days. I've been told the battery problem is a common problem across most brands.

The iPod mini is the best thing going among the smaller players. And it has a 4GB hard drive. Plus, because it's the most popular line of MP3 players, it has a lot more accessories available. Also, it plays the AAC codec...which is what the iTunes music store uses. Sound quality for the same size/bit rate file blows away MP3.

What's the deal with the iPod battery? I understand that it isn't replaceable and will wear out rather quick. Obviously, the iPod isn't any good after that.

This is what I have heard from 2 people so I am not claiming it to be 100% true, but that still remains a concern.

It is replaceable. It will last for years with constant use, but the replacement battery is steep. Around $99 for the full size iPod. Not sure about the one for the mini. They use a battery pack similar to what cell phone use...some kind of lithium yadda yadda thing that will take a lot of recharging without battery memory, charge lasts longer, etc.

I am just going to hold off for now. I have looked all over the internet for reviews and prices, etc. What I am willing to spend right now won't buy much more than about 128mb memory on one's w/ good reviews. That will only hold about 15 songs or so. Some of those allow extra memory cards (RCA Lyra) but, that sort of defeats the purpose of the compact MP3 player, having to keep up with memory cards that hold as much music as a cd or less.

I guess I will just stick to my Sony Walkman CD-R/RW. It's kind of bulky compared to a MP3 but it works great for what I use it for, mainly yard work. I have a hip belt for it that will hold 2-3 extra CDs and the player. It has great sound and battery life. And best of all...IT WAS FREE! I won it in a drawing.

I guess I just wanted to get up with the times but it's just not the right time for me yet.

Guest AuNuma1

If it's just for yard work, I'd get the Rio Cali 128 or 256. If you want a dang jukebox, I'd get the Rio Karma. The features on that thing kick the iPods @ss all day....you just don't get the yuppie little white circular interface on it. :P

90260473_capacity.jpg

90260461_capacity.jpg

Rio Audio

Archived