How long you been an AU hoops fan? This is retro

AUgrad00

I had just graduated a few months before. We beat Alabama the first time we played them my freshman year (Chris Morris' senior year...only year we were any good while I was there) and then didn't beat them again until the '92 game. Back then, BEMC almost turned into an Alabama home game when we played them...it was sad. I really hope that Barbee can build a winner.

When I became an AU basketball fan, Bill Lynn was the coach. That was so long ago that all the Auburn players were white and every visiting player was white.

I had the pleasure of seeing Auburn's first black athlete, BB player Henry Harris, make his debut and pour in 28 points against the Mississippi State freshman team. See, back in olden times freshman could not compete on the varsity teams and they had their own team and schedule.

Also, that 24 point come from behind in Tuscaloosa last year wasn't the biggest comeback ever for an Auburn team there. Sullivan and Beasley's freshman team fell behind 27-0 over there, took a deep breath, David Beverly faked a punt and made a key first down and Auburn came back to win 35-27. Da' Bahr got mad and left in the fourth quarter and the dozen or so of us Auburn fans there War Eagled him out of the stadium.

Since 1968 when we beat UT and Ky with a 6'7" center from Cherokee Co named Bill Alexander and a 6'1" power foward from Sand Mountain named Wally Tinker. Only time I could get AU BB on the radio was when we played UT. John Ward "Give Him Two!", greatest college announcer of his generation.

Little doc

1996. Chris Porter was there. The guy was a beast.

My freshman year was Barkley's freshman year. Then came Chuck Person. What a great era. Comedian Jerry Clower's impersonation was spot on of his bud, the very approachable Sonny Smith.

I was there when John Mengelt poured in 60 and we beat Bama 121-78. Awesome day. Bill Lynn coach.

Hey, I was there at that one too! :)

Were you at the first game at BEMC? I went to the last game there, as a guest of the Athletic Dept. I would guess there were about 250 people there that attended the first game. Mengelt was there, and looked like he could have suited up and played. I bet he weighed not an ounce more than he did in his playing days.

• 2 weeks later...

From the link.... "For Auburn Coach Bobby Joe Eagles, upsetting ninth-ranked Alabama meant one thing"

His name was TOMMY Joe Eagles.

And I was a fan long before the late Tommy Joe Eagles became the coach.

I started in junior high when it was Snow White [Joel Eaves] and the Seven Drafts. Auburn ran a shuffle offense developed by Coach Eaves. That was back in the days of the old Field House arena. Those were exciting times for AU basaketball. It brings back great memories just thinkg about it.

Archived