HDTV

Wrighcr

I was lucky enough to go to Vegas for the 4th and even more lucky to come back up $1500. But the delimma was how would i spend my free money. Then it hit me It will be Fall soon and Monday Night Football is in HD and their is ESPN HD. so the hunt began for a good size TV. I found a Panasonic HDTV 47'' projection screen for a little bit under $1000. I'm just wondering if anybody already owns HD and if they love it?

My understanding is if you watch regular channels/programs that aren't offered in HD format, you actually have a picture that is less sharp than a conventional television.

Of course, the flip side is that programs that are broadcast in HD look spectacular.

Most HD TVs offer a crisp picture even if it is not broadcast in HD. However, some do seem to be less crisp for some reason. You can never go wrong with a Sony IMO. I have seen some pretty good Samsung TVs also. Watching HD sports in widescreen format is really awesome, so you'll love it. I am assuming you have a Dolby Digitial surround sound system so that you get the full HD exepierence? HD has nothing to do with the sound, but that full digital sound really compliments that sharp picture and it will really give you the theatre experience when watching DVDs. Oh yeah, make sure you have a DVD player has progressive scan capabilites with the component outputs. If you have all that, you will be set to go.

We have a Panasonic 47" HDTV that's about a year and a half old. HD broadcasts look like DVD's. Like Titan said, non-HD sources sometimes look slightly fuzzy when compared to digital non-HDTV's, but not a bad picture. At some point in the near future, all broadcasts will be required to be in hi-def, so if you're planning on keeping this TV for a while it would probably make sense to get HDTV now. Unless, of course, you're going to go win some more money!!! Many network broadcasts are in hi-def. It'll tell you at the beginning of the show. Also, HBO and Showtime have dedicated HD channels as well as TNT.

You may or may not know this already, but you'll have to have an HD receiver. Our cable company (Bright House) has them at no extra charge. We recently switched from DirecTV back to cable and I'm happy with the picture we get. The Panasonic is nice, too. Our next one is going to be either a plasma or an LCD. The off-axis viewing area is much better with those as well as picture quality. But, right now they're a little too expensive for me.

We have a Panasonic 47" HDTV that's about a year and a half old. HD broadcasts look like DVD's. Like Titan said, non-HD sources sometimes look slightly fuzzy when compared to digital non-HDTV's, but not a bad picture. At some point in the near future, all broadcasts will be required to be in hi-def, so if you're planning on keeping this TV for a while it would probably make sense to get HDTV now. Unless, of course, you're going to go win some more money!!! Many network broadcasts are in hi-def. It'll tell you at the beginning of the show. Also, HBO and Showtime have dedicated HD channels as well as TNT.

You may or may not know this already, but you'll have to have an HD receiver. Our cable company (Bright House) has them at no extra charge. We recently switched from DirecTV back to cable and I'm happy with the picture we get. The Panasonic is nice, too. Our next one is going to be either a plasma or an LCD. The off-axis viewing area is much better with those as well as picture quality. But, right now they're a little too expensive for me.

Your cable company let's you have a HD convertor box at no additional cost? Wow! I have DirecTV (because they are a client and get it for free), but my dad has Charter Cable and they want to charge an arm and a leg to rent the HD box every month. My poor dad has a 50-something inch HD tv, but does not have any type of HD programming. What a waste of TV huh? I keep trying to get him to sign of for DirecTV, but he keeps putting it off. He has looked into that other HD service called Voom, but for some reason he did not like the way their programming was setup.

I won't even go into talking about plasma TVs because, like TA said, they are way too out there for me to buy right now. I need a new bass boat comes before I pay that much for a TV. :lol:

Your cable company let's you have a HD convertor box at no additional cost?

It doesn't cost any more than the regular digital one, which is $8.

Your cable company let's you have a HD convertor box at no additional cost?

It doesn't cost any more than the regular digital one, which is $8.

I don't know how much Charter is charging, but apparently enough for my dad to choose not to get it over his regular box.

Yeah im on charter and it would have been 8 bucks for us.

I suggest geting dish and getting the receiver that has the built in hd tuner..they are kind of expensive, but you pay it one time.

I've got a 56" JVC widescreen HDTV and love it. I couldn't get HDTV hooked up from Charter until after the Superbowl (the waitlist was too long to make football season), but the NCAA tourney was broadcast in HD and it was incredible. Here in STL, Charter charges me an extra $8 bucks a month for the HD box, and I get the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX), along with HDNet (the network owned by Mark Cuban), ESPNHD, and HBO. Showtime is also offered, but we didn't get that one. As Al said, regular channels are a bit fuzzy. However, anytime sports are broadcast in HD, it's totally worth it. During hockey games, you can actually see scratches on the glass, and scrapes in the ice. It's incredible. I can't wait for football season!

Yeah I don't have HD yet...but when I do, I wont worry about fuzzy channels...since I spend 90% of my tv watching time watching sports.

Archived