• mike brey (notre dame)
    • jeff reynolds (air force)
    • jimmy tillette (samford)
    • cliff ellis
    • sonny smith

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about these guys....Tom Izzo (Michigan St. coach), Travis Ford (Oklahoma St. coach), Jay Wright (Villanova coach), Thad Matta (Ohio St. coach), Rick Barnes (Texas coach), Sean Miller (Xavier coach), Herb Sendek (Arizona St. coach), John Pelphrey (ARKY), Leon Rice (Gonzaga assistant)Terry Porter (former NBA coach), Mike Dunlap (Arizona assistant), Ray Giacoletti (Gonzaga assistant), Tubby Smith (Minnesota coach), Jeff Capel (OK coach), Sean Miller (Xavier coach), Craig Robinson (Oregon State coach), Jay Wright (Villanova coach), John Beilein (Michigan coach), Mike Brey (Notre Dame coach), Mike Anderson (Missouri coach), Oliver Purnell (Clemson coach), T.R. Dunn (NBA Assistant Houston).

JJ stated money was no issue when CGC was hired.

Travis Ford, maybe...the Gonzaga assistants, maybe...Dunlap, maybe...Mike Anderson, maybe....T.R. Dunn, maybe....Terry Porter, maybe.

The rest are all established where they are and I would think they like where they are. I say Anderson and Ford are maybes simply becasue they are SEC guys at heart and I think would like to come back. The only negative in Ford's case would probably be that he has a good thing and success there at OSU and might not wanna leave it. Anderson has more to pull him back here, being a Bham native and all.

I still say put Chuck Person's name out there as a possibility in some capacity. Bring him home and get him involved. Or look at Tony Barbee at UTEP....those are 2 of my fave options.

Mike Anderson would have been good for Auburn basketball. His relentless defense makes his games interesting. If basketball isn't physical, I can't stand to watch it. He has a physical style of play. I guess that is the Nolan Richardson influence.

Basketball is like this guy :party: .....always moving.

Scott Drew Of Baylor would be a very good hire. Here is an excert from his bio..."Drew's recruiting success (three of his first four classes were rated among the top 20 nationally), particularly under less-than-ideal circumstances, has stocked the program with top-100 national prospects and provided optimism to Bears fans."...Here is the link...

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drew_scott00.html

My top 3 is Steve Alford (New Mexico), Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M), and Mike Anderson (Missouri). I urge everybody to look up Alford. I think he is exactly what Auburn needs.

Not Steve Alford.

Although Auburn is #1 for me, I am also a huge Iowa fan (inheirited it from my dad) and Alford used to be Iowa's coach. Good coach, but inconsistent and a terrible recruiter. To Alford's credit he did coach Iowa to a Big Ten conference tournament championship (over Greg Oden's Ohio St.) and had Iowa as a 3 or 4 seed (my memory fails me) in the NCAA tournament, but in typical Alford fashion Iowa got upset in the first round by the 13 or 12 seed. Terrible big game coach, also his failure to recruit, even after his success is what drove him out of Iowa City and he didn't exactly leave much for his successor who is about to get run out too.

I dont see us going after Mike Davis. I like the guy a lot....I go to several UAB games every season. I just think of the 2, Anderson would be a far better choice. Personally, I like Travis Ford (OK State), Tony Barbee (UTEP), Chuck Person (with the Lakers in an off-courst capacity, does have experience as assistant coach w/ Pacers), or Scott Drew (Baylor).

The list contains a lot of guys we have no shot in hell of hiring. redo the list with only guys that we at least have an outside shot at hiring.  Add Travis Ford to the list as well.  A young and exciting former SEC guy that can flat out coach and recruit with the best of them!

I think Wojo would be AUsome!!!! although, there hasnt been the greatest history for Duke assistants taking over their own programs.....but I think youre thoughts on Wojo are dead on. Im a HUGE Duke fan, so I would love that

If I remember correctly; when we hired Lebo we also tried to talk to Anderson. He refused to come to Auburn to interview and told AU that if they wanted to talk to him, they would have to come see him. That arrogance turned a lot of people off on him. It would have me for sure.

Didn't we do something similar with the coach at Oklahoma now, (Capel)?  I thought he was one of our choices as well.

:dunno:

If Jay Jacobs doesn't make a major change after the season, then that will let everyone know that Auburn DOES NOT give a flying flip about basketball.

Archived