The top criteria I believe Jay Jacobs will have to consider is

benjazz

does this Coach want to be at Auburn.  If he's here for the money, or the idea that he can move on to the ACC or Big East if he does a good job here for a couple of years he probably won't make it because this is a football school first and a basketball school somewhere down the line.  I sincerely believe that the final two football coaching candidates ; Chiz and Turner Gill both convinced JJ that they wanted to be at Auburn.  That's why I think Person and Mitchell are first on the list.  They both want to be here, neither needs the money,  and both have good if not perfect credentials.  The guy from Wright State has great credentials but does he want to be at Auburn.  That's why JJ gets the big bucks

Great Point!

If Chizik has done one thing for me, he's shown that he loves to be at Auburn and Auburn is his dream job... put that passion towards a passion to win and you've got me hooked... great point

does this Coach want to be at Auburn.   If he's here for the money, or the idea that he can move on to the ACC or Big East if he does a good job here for a couple of years he probably won't make it because this is a football school first and a basketball school somewhere down the line.  I sincerely believe that the final two football coaching candidates ; Chiz and Turner Gill both convinced JJ that they wanted to be at Auburn.  That's why I think Person and Mitchell are first on the list.  They both want to be here, neither needs the money,  and both have good if not perfect credentials.   The guy from Wright State has great credentials but does he want to be at Auburn.   That's why JJ gets the big bucks

What are Person's perfect credentials?  He has never been a HC at any level and has never recruited. 

:dunno:

This is the best and most true thread I've read. I love to watch auburn succeed but I want students to graduate first. Then I want a coach whois committed and absolutely loves Auburn

Yep.  As much as I love winning, it isn't everything.  We don't ever want to have that "turd/win at all costs" mentality at Auburn.  We don't want someone who is in it for themselves, either.  We don't need someone who could care less about doing special things at Auburn.  Don't get me wrong as my top two right now are Tubby and Anderson.  I want to win very badly, but I want someone who wants to be here and do special things here.  Does that make any sense at all?  HA!

This is the best and most true thread I've read. I love to watch auburn succeed but I want students to graduate first. Then I want a coach whois committed and absolutely loves Auburn

Yep.  As much as I love winning, it isn't everything.  We don't ever want to have that "turd/win at all costs" mentality at Auburn.   We don't want someone who is in it for themselves, either.   We don't need someone who could care less about doing special things at Auburn.  Don't get me wrong as my top two right now are Tubby and Anderson.  I want to win very badly, but I want someone who wants to be here and do special things here.  Does that make any sense at all?  HA!

It does...I feel the same way.

:wedance:

Now, I could make an exception for someone who may possibly be ready to retire in 4 to 5 years as long as there is a plan in place well before he hangs it up to get someone in there to succeed him of the same caliber.  Someone who could pick up right where he left off.

Yep.  As much as I love winning, it isn't everything.  We don't ever want to have that "turd/win at all costs" mentality at Auburn.   We don't want someone who is in it for themselves, either.   We don't need someone who could care less about doing special things at Auburn.  Don't get me wrong as my top two right now are Tubby and Anderson.  I want to win very badly, but I want someone who wants to be here and do special things here.  Does that make any sense at all?  HA!

I have trouble with this... it's like a double edge sword. Lebo was a good man, would have been here as long as we would have had him, was graduating players (because they weren't good enough to leave early mainly) and ran off players that were not going to do it his way.... now one of those players in particular is the starting PG for the NY nicks now (tony douglas) which led FSU to an NCAA birth....

So my point is, yes, i want a coach to run a clean program, but I also expect wins, so where does the coach bend just a little in order to get one of these kids to come, stay, and help the team succeed. At what point does it become doing whatever it is to win, or adapting to the talent you have... I guarantee you Charles Barkley didn't do what Sonny Smith told him to do every day....

Does this make any sense?

I have trouble with this... it's like a double edge sword. Lebo was a good man, would have been here as long as we would have had him, was graduating players (because they weren't good enough to leave early mainly) and ran off players that were not going to do it his way.... now one of those players in particular is the starting PG for the NY nicks now (tony douglas) which led FSU to an NCAA birth....

So my point is, yes, i want a coach to run a clean program, but I also expect wins, so where does the coach bend just a little in order to get one of these kids to come, stay, and help the team succeed. At what point does it become doing whatever it is to win, or adapting to the talent you have... I guarantee you Charles Barkley didn't do what Sonny Smith told him to do every day....

It makes great sense to those who follow BB every year.  A great coach has to know where the "gray" areas are that he can operate in.  Lebo did not want to go near any "gray" areas and it cost him his job.  I do not fault him for running the program according to how he felt it should be run.  He is a great person and had impeccable honor.

I think the new coach has to operate in those "gray" areas to be successful.  I do not want a "win-at-all-costs" coach who will have us on a meteoric rise, only to crash and burn because of not following the rules.  I want someone who knows how to win and where he can operate within the rules.

WDE!

:wedance: 

Great reply tungsten... the "Gray" areas are areas such as Big Cat weekend when we knew we would (or I think they did) commit secondary violations but did it in order to pull in 5 star recruits.  Lebo wasn't willing to bend his beliefs at all, which brings us to the original point, would you bend your beliefs if it meant winning or keeping your job? Hmmmmm

I understand what you're saying.  You have to be good at "playing the game" in college basketball recruiting.  There is, though, a difference between that and cheating.  College basketball as a whole, mostly due to its involvement with AAU is about as dirty as it gets.  There is an obvious line that doesn't need to be crossed.  We need someone that can "play that game" w/o breaking the rules if that makes any sense.

Hate to say it but this is why Auburn basketball will always be in the lower tier of the SEC.  Accept it.  At least we will be comfortable.

"We need someone that can "play that game" w/o breaking the rules if that makes any sense." You sir are correct.

Archived