Recruiting & Technology

Just saw this article on ESPN Recruiting Front Page. Talks about Tiger Prowl and The Saban Rule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5345790

The picture to go along with the article on the front page is the one of our coaches watching Lemonier announce for AU on signing day.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/

Speaking of technology, I have been wondering how Facebook and other social networking sites figure into recruiting.  Are coaches allowed to add recruits as friends and talk with them through private messages?  And what about fans/boosters?  Are we allowed to add recruits to our friends list and "recruit" them ?  Where does the NCAA draw the line?

Speaking of technology, I have been wondering how Facebook and other social networking sites figure into recruiting.  Are coaches allowed to add recruits as friends and talk with them through private messages?  And what about fans/boosters?  Are we allowed to add recruits to our friends list and "recruit" them ?  Where does the NCAA draw the line?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=5345790

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2010/06/26/um-looking-into-whether-rules-were-broken-in-facebook-post/

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/008083.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/15/AR2008101503083.html

Here are the rules regarding facebook from an NCAA coach who has to take the test every year. 

1.  You can add friends that request it, but you CANNOT request to add friends.  If a recruit requests to add you, you may do so.  You cannot initiate contact and send a friend request to a recruit.

2.  Coaches cannot put anything on their site about recruits similar to the NCAA rule not allowing them to speak publicly about a PSA.  You cannot tell channel 12 that Bobby is going to be a great fit for Auburn just the same as you cannot post it on your facebook page.  You MAY however, say something like, "In Mobile recruiting today...looking for some future Tigers!"  That is a general statement that does not indicate a specific recruit.  However, you may not say, "In Mobile recruiting today, heading over to Mobile Bay HS to check out this stud RB they have!"  When you start adding specifics like high school or position, you cross the line.

3.  PSA's may post things on a coaches or team's wall, but coaches and teams may NOT post something on a PSA's wall.

4.  If the PSA is a junior or above and is within the appropriate dates to contact by e-mail, countable coaches my use the message function of facebook to communicate with the PSA.  THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE CHAT.  The message function must be out of the public's viewing, thus you cannot write on their wall. 

5.  At no time, may the coach engage in the chat function of facebook, unless the PSA has signed his/her NLI.  After signing the NLI, coaches may text/chat PSA's unlimited.

Basic rules for facebook....accept friends, don't request.....no public declarations about PSA's....no wall postings ever....e-mail part of facebook is fine, just not chat until PSA has signed an NLI.

And by the way, boosters are NEVER allowed to recruit PSA's to said school.  It's getting very hard for the University and the NCAA to monitor this with the advent of facebook and myspace....but it can get a school in big trouble with a recruit if it is proven.

It is impossible for the NCAA and Schools to monitor social media sites. They pop up over night, there are too many recruits, and too many schools to police. The NCAA can however police the schools(however poorly). Any model of policing where one person/school must do it themselves leads to corruption. Thus, it can't be trusted.

I have no social media log in, but I dare the NCAA or AU to tell me I can't do something on my own time(and on my own dime). I'm not sure currently how I feel about the facebook stalkers(lol). I don't think the school should get in trouble over it though.

So far I've got: A fan is paying for the internet connection and is on their own time, If a recruit doesn't want it out then they shouldn't say it in public(telling rivals, scout, espn, & AE is the same as telling a fan), People do need to respect the recruit, People shouldn't get too involved with the recruiting aspect of it(IE-Hey go to AU), It should be more like a "did you have fun at AU this past weekend?". Then if they commit "WDE" "Glad to have you" "Let's go tackle a turd".

In the end, the recruits are trying to make a life altering decision under the public microscope. Some want the publicity attached to the process and thus welcome the facebook stalkers. Some want to make the decision and be left alone. Over all I think the stalking can both help and hurt(catch 22 if you will).

It is impossible for the NCAA and Schools to monitor social media sites. They pop up over night, there are too many recruits, and too many schools to police. The NCAA can however police the schools(however poorly). Any model of policing where one person/school must do it themselves leads to corruption. Thus, it can't be trusted.

I have no social media log in, but I dare the NCAA or AU to tell me I can't do something on my own time(and on my own dime). I'm not sure currently how I feel about the facebook stalkers(lol). I don't think the school should get in trouble over it though.

So far I've got: A fan is paying for the internet connection and is on their own time, If a recruit doesn't want it out then they shouldn't say it in public(telling rivals, scout, espn, & AE is the same as telling a fan), People do need to respect the recruit, People shouldn't get too involved with the recruiting aspect of it(IE-Hey go to AU), It should be more like a "did you have fun at AU this past weekend?". Then if they commit "WDE" "Glad to have you" "Let's go tackle a turd".

In the end, the recruits are trying to make a life altering decision under the public microscope. Some want the publicity attached to the process and thus welcome the facebook stalkers. Some want to make the decision and be left alone. Over all I think the stalking can both help and hurt(catch 22 if you will).

thGood-Post1.gif

Did anyone else find it funny that the article has a picture of xCTT talking on the phone with the heading "In the recruiting world, the telephone call has become an ancient form of communication"?  I guess the phone is still better than sitting in a duck blind......just sayin'

You might get the POOP on YOU!

n the end, the recruits are trying to make a life altering decision under the public microscope. Some want the publicity attached to the process and thus welcome the facebook stalkers. Some want to make the decision and be left alone. Over all I think the stalking can both help and hurt(catch 22 if you will).

Some school at some point is going to get in trouble with the NCAA over facebook or one of these other sites. Someone the NCAA labels as a booster will post something over the line and all poop will hit the fan that could affect a lot of people. The NCAA`s loose definition of "booster" makes this more likely than not at sometime in the future. Let`s hope it ain`t us.

Per ESPN, UF was reported by "another school" for possible recruiting violations due to contact with recruits via FACEBOOK!!!  Possibly 4 secondary violations involved; know that's not a big deal, but we got to be careful!!!

Per ESPN, UF was reported by "another school" for possible recruiting violations due to contact with recruits via FACEBOOK!!!  Possibly 4 secondary violations involved; know that's not a big deal, but we got to be careful!!!

yeah just saw that too :-\

Did anyone else find it funny that the article has a picture of xCTT talking on the phone with the heading "In the recruiting world, the telephone call has become an ancient form of communication"?  I guess the phone is still better than sitting in a duck blind......just sayin'

To take that one step further, look who wrote the article.  Wasn't Ian a former turd beat writer?  He was obviously in tune with what was going on with TT.

Archived