E5 Blog - Manly Tiger's Call to Arms

Eagle5

In fact, it is a game. It is not war. In war, people get maimed to such a degree that they are without arms or legs for the rest of their lives. In war, people get killed. My father spent 16 months as a Prisoner Of War. He came home looking like a skeleton. It stayed with him for the rest of his life. No, this is not war. It is a game. In war, people do not go to the concession stand at half-time. Participants in war do not shake hands at the end of a battle and kneel in the middle of the field in prayer. They gather the bodies and bury the dead. Many of our fellow citizens are at war. They likely will be at war for some time. Too many of them will come home in coffins.  All of the somber sounding martial type music in the world cannot make football any more than what it is, a game. I pray we never forget that one thing.

In fact, it is a game. It is not war. In war, people get maimed to such a degree that they are without arms or legs for the rest of their lives. In war, people get killed. My father spent 16 months as a Prisoner Of War. He came home looking like a skeleton. It stayed with him for the rest of his life. No, this is not war. It is a game. In war, people do not go to the concession stand at half-time. Participants in war do not shake hands at the end of a battle and kneel in the middle of the field in prayer. They gather the bodies and bury the dead. Many of our fellow citizens are at war. They likely will be at war for some time. Too many of them will come home in coffins.  All of the somber sounding martial type music in the world cannot make football any more than what it is, a game. I pray we never forget that one thing.

My friend, and fellow American, I certainly don't want to trivialize your very serious and valid observation by being too argumentative on an issue which is literally about life and death - war - except to say you take my football musings literally.  I thank your father, and all our troops, past and present, for their sacrifice and in some cases, for making the ultimate sacrifice.   But I also believe that they fight for our freedoms, and that very freedom includes having the privilege to engage in intense football rivalries and go off the charts with hyperbole.  Yes, even military hyperbole.  Such is the rivalry here - but the mature fans (which I am normally) obviously "get" that it's a game.   Wars will be fought - I pray for an end to them - and life goes on.  And life need not become some sanitized version in which we can't be intense about sports rivalries - I know vets who do the same.   If your mission is to eradicate from CBS, ESPN, and bloggers like me any and all "war metaphors" in describing rival games, you've got your hands full.  None of the commentators nor bloggers literally mean "this is war".

But point taken.

E5

I didn't really think you meant it literally. I've tried to remind myself over the years to be more careful about using that terminology when it comes to a game. I do, of course, understand the nature of the rivalry.  I go way overboard sometimes in using the word "hate" to describe how I feel about the fans of a certain other team. In truth, that is probably too strong of a term to use.

I didn't really think you meant it literally. I've tried to remind myself over the years to be more careful about using that terminology when it comes to a game. I do, of course, understand the nature of the rivalry.  I go way overboard sometimes in using the word "hate" to describe how I feel about the fans of a certain other team. In truth, that is probably too strong of a term to use.

1g3kwj.jpg

Also let me add, I do HATE mullets/bammers and mean it for the most part. Its not that I HATE because of the team they pull for. I HATE them because of the team they pull and the fact that they are douchebags in general. Now I do have some good friends who are bama fans that I don't lump into the mullet/bammer category. But as for the ignorant turds that post on AL.com....I bet you can guess where I stand.

Archived