Who is our Center of the future?

AUbritt

Forgive me if this has been covered within another thread on the OL. I just think Center is hugely important. I'm happy Reese is coming back next year, but I am wondering about the future.

Who will be our Center after Reese is gone?

Right now, Tunde is listed as the backup; but he's gone.

R-Fr Eric Averett is listed as third. Does anyone know how he's doing and how he's projected to do?

Are we trying to address our future center in recruiting this year? Or are we waiting until next year, when we focus more on the OL?

I would expect that we will have some of our guys work multiple positions during the spring and fall camp to see if they take to center. I think that our JC recruit Xavier Dampeer is considered a center or guard. He has 3 to play 2 and could redshirt this year.

I would expect that we will have some of our guys work multiple positions during the spring and fall camp to see if they take to center. I think that our JC recruit Xavier Dampeer is considered a center or guard. He has 3 to play 2 and could redshirt this year.

Ah! Thanks, berrytgr! I'd forgotten about XD, though I remembered once I revisited his thread.

The only thing that concerns me about him is the fact that he can only play two years. One thing that's awesome about Reese is that he's so experienced. I hope we'll get someone to come in as a True Frosh who'll be able to redshirt a year, then perhaps step in to play for 3-4.

It is very rare to find a kid fresh out of high school to step into the center position. As good as Dismukes has played, I think he started as a freshman because we lacked depth and talent at that time. I think in 2015 we will see Dampeer or Kozan at Center.

It is very rare to find a kid fresh out of high school to step into the center position. As good as Dismukes has played, I think he started as a freshman because we lacked depth and talent at that time. I think in 2015 we will see Dampeer or Kozan at Center.

Kozan! How could I forget the Barbarian!?!

Thanks, guys -- this makes me feel better.

My gut feeling is that it goes something along these lines.

'14- Dismukes starts, backup Dampeer

'15- Kozan starts, backup Dampeer

'15- top HS center signs in the '15 class and redshirts.

'16- Kozan starts, backup Redshirt Freshman

'17- Redshirt Sophomore takes over

There is also the possibility if Dampeer turns out really good, they could try to redshirt him in '14 (he has 3 to play 2). Then Dampeer starts in '15, '16. Kozan can stay at LG but be there as a backup if something happened at center. Mix could also be a backup.

Kozan! How could I forget the Barbarian!?!

Thanks, guys -- this makes me feel better.

When he first signed I recall talk about Kozan as a center at some point. Good as he is at guard, Center could be his fast track to the NFL.

I hear they are looking at a kid, William Tutt, from Marengo Academy, Linden, Al. Quick, good feet, has the ability to get to the second level, smart. Dominated against committed Division I players in state championship game against Restoration.

Interesting, thanks.

There is also the possibility if Dampeer turns out really good, they could try to redshirt him in '14 (he has 3 to play 2). Then Dampeer starts in '15, '16. Kozan can stay at LG but be there as a backup if something happened at center. Mix could also be a backup.

Thanks, IronMan

This was kind of the plan - moving Kozan to center after Reese leaves... but, since Kozan played so well this season at left guard, it's gonna be hard to take him out of that left guard position...

JG Grimes will have to rely on one of the JUCO guys (or a freshman) to step in at the center position... Dampeer and D Danzey are both viable options at center.

Archived