Coach Myers discusses expectations & positional thoughts

I agree with you guys for the most part.  I think by the latter part of the season, we'll have 3 pitchers who would be Number 1's at most any school they would want to attend. Carlson and Martin are already there and I was thinking he would bring Swindell along slowly until I saw the schedule. Nothing like starting off with a bang.  I have to disagree on one point.  Makayla Martin started the SEC Championship Game and Game 3 of the WCWS Finals.  That's a lot of weight for a true freshman.

Guess I"m thinking with that kind of staff he will save his ace for the heavy work when the major SEC games are played.   Lots of games in a softball season and plenty of opportunity for three pitchers to see some action.

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

I agree with you guys for the most part.  I think by the latter part of the season, we'll have 3 pitchers who would be Number 1's at most any school they would want to attend. Carlson and Martin are already there and I was thinking he would bring Swindell along slowly until I saw the schedule. Nothing like starting off with a bang.  I have to disagree on one point.  Makayla Martin started the SEC Championship Game and Game 3 of the WCWS Finals.  That's a lot of weight for a true freshman.

Yes but for the totality of the season she did not have half the weight on her as far as how much she was used. If Ashore does well she will get more looks as the season goes. Barring injury though I don't see her with having to pitch half the innings for the staff which is what I meant by half the weight.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess I"m thinking with that kind of staff he will save his ace for the heavy work when the major SEC games are played.   Lots of games in a softball season and plenty of opportunity for three pitchers to see some action.

CCM may know now but as fans we don't know if there is an ace between the 3. I lean to Makayla but I don't know that to be the case.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

CCM may know now but as fans we don't know if there is an ace between the 3. I lean to Makayla but I don't know that to be the case.

True... Makayla seems to be the Ace and at this point has the most upside because of her age....but IMO it's a pretty fine line....and a good reason in my view, not to overwork her early in the season.   Carlson is certainly a good #2 and I see her getting lots of work early in the season... and the early season games are not the usual cupcakes that most teams start with . 

Otherwise, I'm a bit concerned that we don't have a solid lefty among our top 3....it was a great change of pace to have Walters to come with a different look.  I see the young lady from Auburn HS is a lefty but wondering if she can crack the line-up as a pitcher so soon.

Meanwhile, if Swindell does not become the starter right away, how soon before speculation begins that she will transfer to some lower level school so she can be a star ? :)

Suppose it is too late to get a decent LHP as transfer.  Abbot is a lefty but don't know how much she might be able to contribute in big games just based on her limited pitching two seasons ago.  Thought I read that they were going to give her a look at pitching again this season.  Might get some insight when fall ball begins.

On 9/29/2016 at 7:30 AM, AU64 said:

True... Makayla seems to be the Ace and at this point has the most upside because of her age....but IMO it's a pretty fine line....and a good reason in my view, not to overwork her early in the season.   Carlson is certainly a good #2 and I see her getting lots of work early in the season... and the early season games are not the usual cupcakes that most teams start with . 

Otherwise, I'm a bit concerned that we don't have a solid lefty among our top 3....it was a great change of pace to have Walters to come with a different look.  I see the young lady from Auburn HS is a lefty but wondering if she can crack the line-up as a pitcher so soon.

Meanwhile, if Swindell does not become the starter right away, how soon before speculation begins that she will transfer to some lower level school so she can be a star ? :)

Fall ball will go a long way to establishing where the strength of the pitching staff resides.  Swindle will get ample opportunities to be A starter.  There is no THE starter.  Makayla Martin and Kaylee Carlson are certain starters.  I expect Swindle to be starter #3.  Her effectiveness over the course of the season will determine her spot in the rotation come post season play.   Martin performed INCREDIBLY during the post season and the final game match the OU ace pitch for pitch. 

I think its way premature and an extremely defeatist attitude to already consider the possibility of her transferring when we haven't even gotten to the start of fall games yet.   Also consider her bat is quite good.  She could have a roll as the DP in addition to being in the circle.  Her bat could help fill a vacancy left by some that graduated (thinking Carosone in particular) because of her power (if I'm remembering her stats correctly) at the plate. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Fall ball will go a long way to establishing where the strength of the pitching staff resides.  Swindle will get ample opportunities to be A starter.  There is no THE starter.  Makayla Martin and Kaylee Carlson are certain starters.  I expect Swindle to be starter #3.  Her effectiveness over the course of the season will determine her spot in the rotation come post season play.   Martin performed INCREDIBLY during the post season and the final game match the OU ace pitch for pitch. 

I think its way premature and an extremely defeatist attitude to already consider the possibility of her transferring when we haven't even gotten to the start of fall games yet.   Also consider her bat is quite good.  She could have a roll as the DP in addition to being in the circle.  Her bat could help fill a vacancy left by some that graduated (thinking Carosone in particular) because of her power (if I'm remembering her stats correctly) at the plate. 

That was a joke....just noting the typical response from football fans when some player does not make the starting line_up.

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

That was a joke....just noting the typical response from football fans when some player does not make the starting line_up.

Softball is not football. The better players don't move around much.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Softball is not football. The better players don't move around much.

I realize that....seem to be a more mature group of students...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I realize that....seem to be a more mature group of students...

That's part of it.  Most of these girls aren't getting much in the way of scholarship money due to NCAA rules.  They 're at Auburn because they choose to be here.  They love the game and they want to play for good coaches in a good program.  Some may have plans to coach in the future and playing for good coaches is part of their educational experience.  

Since I was suffering from softball withdrawal, my wife and I drove down from B'ham yesterday to watch the scrimmage.  A few observations from an untrained eye.  I did miss the first 15 minutes so this account may not be all inclusive.  Also keep in mind that Snow, Gipson and Draper did not play.  Victoria had a brace on her leg/knee but is expected to be back soon.  It was not a ligament repair.  She actually helped "rake" the infield at one point between innings.  As per the original post, second base was Spain, McCrackin and Crocker.  I believe McCrackin may have had the most innings there and I thought she looked very comfortable.  Made a very good grab on a line drive hit far to her left.  Seems Perry got a lot of time at first and Abbott played there some as she has done in the past.  I thought Fagan looked good back at SS.  Carmyn Greenwood made very good contact with the ball on several at bats.  Perry also really attacks the ball.  Interesting that tiny (by comparison) Morgan Podany had the only home run of the day into the left field corner.  I thought all the pitchers did a good job as five saw action.  Abbott did well and I thought her "wind up" motion was more compact than when she pitched in 2015.  Nemeth pitched  at least 2 innings and I thought gave a very good account of herself.  She clearly does not have the velocity of the other pitchers but gets the job done.  Swindle appeared to throw a lot of change ups.  They all seemed to be around the zone with all their pitches and I believe I saw only one "bad" pitch the entire time when Nemeth threw behind a batter.  The catcher caught the ball and threw it back to her as though nothing happened and you could see Nemeth laugh to herself.  Clearly I miss seeing the faces and numbers of Tiff, Jade and Emily but there are new faces, numbers and names to carry on this newfound softball tradition.  Thank you Coach Myers.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to catch one game of the fall ball tourney on 10/15 - lot of new faces but glad to see Casey Myers back as a coach.  I do believe he will (already has) improved some of our hitting that we will need to win it all for 2017.  Good power at bat, really didn't get to judge much on defense as the community college teams did not hit many off our pitchers.

Archived