Spotlighting Stanton Truitt

StatTiger

The injury to Kerryon Johnson during the Mississippi State game was a major concern because he was a major contributor to the 2016 Auburn offense. Auburn utilized the bye week before the Arkansas game to prepare Stanton Truitt and Kam Martin for additional duty against the Razorbacks. Both players would see an expanded role in the Auburn offense if Kerryon Johnson was a "no-go" on game day. The Auburn coaching staff elected to rest Johnson, counting on Truitt and Martin to make up for the injured Johnson. Both players responded, combining for 158 yards on 15 carries and 3 rushing touchdowns. Truitt also added a 45-yard TD reception against the Razorbacks.

The play...

photo Arkansas - Truitt 31 TD_zpszdvdutn4.jpg

On this play Auburn will come out in an unbalanced line with a 1st & 10 at the Arkansas 31-yd line. The Tigers utilized the speed-sweep motion frequently against the Hogs, which slowed down any attempts to scheme against Auburn's point of attack in the running game. Because Auburn scored on a 78-yard jet-sweep on the first play of the game, Arkansas had to respect the perimeter run every time the Tigers utilized the speed-sweep motion.

Just before the snap Ryan Davis will motion across the backfield, which forces the Arkansas defense to react to the motion. At the snap, John Franklin III will fake the give to Ryan Davis, pivot and hand off to Stanton Truitt. In frames #2 and #3, you can see two Arkansas defenders reacting to Ryan Davis on the edge. After taking the hand off from JF3, Stanton Truitt will follow behind Alex Kozan (pulling guard) through a gaping hole created by the offensive line. Braden Smith takes out a LB, who is the last remaining defender past the line.

Truitt utilizes his size and speed to his advantage, darting through the hole for an uncontested 31-yard sprint to the Arkansas end zone. Stanton Truitt's move to RB has proven to be a great decision by the coaching staff. Kam Martin and Stanton Truitt have combined for 312-yards rushing on 48 attempts, averaging 6.5 yards per carry. The more reps each player receives, the more comfortable they will become in their expanded role in the 2016 Auburn offense.

Wheel route...My favorite pass play!!?

57 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Wheel route...My favorite pass play!!?

Yep.....nothing like seeing an eligible receiver running down the sideline with no defender within 20 yards.   Guess you have to avoid over-doing it with that play but I love it.....and especially with guys like Truitt and KJ who have good hands. .

Truitt has possibly the most beautiful cut I've ever seen at Auburn (although a limited window). He knows exactly when to go north south with no hesitation. love it and hope we utilize him more consistently from here on out. WDE

Archived