Retooling the CIA for a new world

japantiger

• TitanTiger changed the title to Retooling the CIA for a new world

I do not believe the problem lies in the gathering of intelligence.  I think the problem lies in the desire to make the intelligence fit whatever political narrative and agenda the administration and/or DCI wishes to further.  

8 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I do not believe the problem lies in the gathering of intelligence.  I think the problem lies in the desire to make the intelligence fit whatever political narrative and agenda the administration and/or DCI wishes to further.  

100% correct.

On 1/18/2017 at 8:48 AM, icanthearyou said:

I again refer you to the CIA's own analysis...they have been clear in their self assessment.  They believe they have gaps in both the quantity, the geographic spread and the breadth of information gathered...they also feel that they have had a strong confirmation bias over multiple administrations and that bias still exists and is fundamentally rooted in pre-911 mindset.  

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

I again refer you to the CIA's own analysis...they have been clear in their self assessment.  They believe they have gaps in both the quantity, the geographic spread and the breadth of information gathered...they also feel that they have had a strong confirmation bias over multiple administrations and that bias still exists and is fundamentally rooted in pre-911 mindset.  

I agree with that.  

Still, I see that bias as a function of political pressure and believe, that a weak DCI will lead to politically biased findings.

On 1/19/2017 at 4:09 PM, icanthearyou said:

I agree with that.  

Still, I see that bias as a function of political pressure and believe, that a weak DCI will lead to politically biased findings.

Given  the longevity of the issue, it's hard to lay it at the feet of "a"  DCI.   We structurally are not organized for success.

55 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Given  the longevity of the issue, it's hard to lay it at the feet of "a"  DCI.   We structurally are not organized for success.

Probably so but, a strong or weak DCI has a lot to do with whether or not bias is minimized.  I think Tenet is an example of how a weak DCI can compromise intel findings. 

I got an interview with the CIA after graduation.  Strange bunch.  No sense of humor.

CIA, no not with them , not anymore. I was but it was a long time ago ..... I really don't like to talk about it......Clark Grizwald

21 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Probably so but, a strong or weak DCI has a lot to do with whether or not bias is minimized.  I think Tenet is an example of how a weak DCI can compromise intel findings. 

I got an interview with the CIA after graduation.  Strange bunch.  No sense of humor.

:Sing:now that is funny...

On 1/19/2017 at 3:11 PM, japantiger said:

Considering the clandestine nature of their business I am impressed by the apparent objectivity and frankness of their self-analysis.  That's a very positive sign IMO.

Archived