The Absurdity of Auburn’s schedule

jmcrosson

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

16 consecutive hand-offs on first down. There's no what-if about that. Gus changed the game plan and we lost because of it. 

True....but what did that have to do with the rest of the season? .   It's like reading alternative history novels....somebody kills Hitler in 1935 and there is no war in Europe and the world lives in peace for ever after.

We know two things for certain....(1).AU lost the LSU game and (2) AU still had the chance to make it to the championship game. 

Otherwise there are an infinite number of scenarios of what might have happened if AU had played the second half differently.   Why stick ;to just one of them?  which is no more certain than the possibility that JS get's sacked in the second half and is out for the rest of the season?    

If AU had beaten LSU and won the rest of the games into the SEC championship game and then lost to UGa,  UGA would be the champion with one loss and the bama loss to AU would look the same considering how the committee almost discounted that loss because of AU's home field advantage and bama injuries......and they would probably still be in the playoff.

Look....certainly you know that Scarb writes stuff like this to jerk Auburn fans around and create discontent over and between the football programs......and lots of AU fans look like speckled trout and eagerly take his bait.  JMO

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Look....certainly you know that Scarb writes stuff like this to jerk Auburn fans around and create discontent over and between the football programs......and lots of AU fans look like speckled trout and eagerly take his bait.  JMO

You seem to be suggesting that Scarbinsky's ramblings in some way inform mine. In fact, it comes across as quite the little jab. I haven't read a word Scarbinsky has had to say in 5 years or more, other than twitter ledes passed around for amusement.

No, I and plenty other people arrived at this conclusion quite on our own. 

And, no, an Auburn team that didn't lose badly to a mediocre LSU team would not be viewed the same way as one who did. Ask Ohio State what the committee thinks about bad losses. 

Can I prove my point? Nope. But it's pretty thoughtless to just completely dismiss it. 

To be honest, if Auburn had been able to stomp some of these weak ass UGA teams in the last few years, then I doubt we'd be having this discussion about the fairness of cross-division schedules.  

My goodness, 5 SEC teams are/were in the hunt for new HC's right now (thank goodness AU isn't one of them.)  But this conference has been drug down by weak/inept coaches for a few years running.  One team in particular was able to capitalize on the coaching deficiencies, we'll see if the new crop of SEC coaches do any better than the last group that just exited the building.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You seem to be suggesting that Scarbinsky's ramblings in some way inform mine. In fact, it comes across as quite the little jab. I haven't read a word Scarbinsky has had to say in 5 years or more, other than twitter ledes passed around for amusement.

No, I and plenty other people arrived at this conclusion quite on our own. 

And, no, an Auburn team that didn't lose badly to a mediocre LSU team would not be viewed the same way as one who did. Ask Ohio State what the committee thinks about bad losses. 

Can I prove my point? Nope. But it's pretty thoughtless to just completely dismiss it. 

My comments were made in reference to a post earlier in this thread where a posted noted that Scarb had a valid point in his assertion that AU's loss to LSU had allowed bama to get into the playoff.....and assertion that I reject.    

I'm not dismissing anything but not finding the "if only" argument to be anywhere like a reasonable one. And interesting too that the mediocre LSU team you reference was bama's only win over a top 20 team this season... yet the committee gave them credit for that win....and the loss to AU.   

Heard again this morning that the prime arguments for bama were :....one loss....good loss to Auburn at home....and the return of their injured players which will make them one of the four best teams come January.    Even a two loss Auburn team was not going to crack that argument. 

Archived