Baseball vs Alabama

9-1 in the Capital City Classic. I love the atmosphere here for this game. WDE!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Really can't wait to get Mitchell and Greenhill back.  Coker remains broken.  5-2 now 

Broken?  Only guy out of the pen that can consistently throw strikes and get outs.  I'm sure Butch didn't want to use him that long, but knew he had to for the win.

Just now, 4WDE said:

Broken?  Only guy out of the pen that can consistently throw strikes and get outs.  I'm sure Butch didn't want to use him that long, but knew he had to for the win.

The past three outings, he's missing his control (even in the strike zone), fallen behind on 70% of the hitters he's faced (through the 7th tonight, that might have improved the last two innings), and given up five runs.  So I'd say his consistency, which started out the season strong, isn't his strong suit right now.  Now, I will grant that it's probably due to the fact he's had to carry more of a load with Greenhill/Mitchell injured and the rest of the bullpen unable to map the strike zone with a Garmin right now, but he's still "broken" compared to the first month of the season.  Hopefully, when his load is lessened (the return of some of the injured), his sharpness will return.

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

The past three outings, he's missing his control (even in the strike zone), fallen behind on 70% of the hitters he's faced (through the 7th tonight, that might have improved the last two innings), and given up five runs.  So I'd say his consistency, which started out the season strong, isn't his strong suit right now.  Now, I will grant that it's probably due to the fact he's had to carry more of a load with Greenhill/Mitchell injured and the rest of the bullpen unable to map the strike zone with a Garmin right now, but he's still "broken" compared to the first month of the season.  Hopefully, when his load is lessened (the return of some of the injured), his sharpness will return.

Broken, no.  Warn out, yes.  Nobody in that nation with 5 or more saves has thrown 30+ innings like Coker.  Butch is having to ride him and the kid is doing well.  3-1 with 5 saves is good.

Wrong.  He has NOT fallen behind 70% of the hitters.  For the record, he fell behind 47% tonight, 40% UK game 2, and 56% UK game 1, so cumulative over the last 3 outings, he has fallen behind 48% of the time.  Just a little off from 70%.  He has also thrown FPS of 67%, 60%, and 44% respectively, for a cumulative of 59%.  That workable.  Now, on the reality of the damage when he has gotten behind on hitters.  Of the 9 hits he has allowed over the last 3 games, he has only gotten behind on 3 of those batters (1 of those was a HR).  Again, broken?  Far from it.  Worn out?  The guy has a rubber arm and gotten to 3-1 and 5 saves.  And he better ice up, because he may be back out there on Fri.

41 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Broken, no.  Warn out, yes.  Nobody in that nation with 5 or more saves has thrown 30+ innings like Coker.  Butch is having to ride him and the kid is doing well.  3-1 with 5 saves is good.

Wrong.  He has NOT fallen behind 70% of the hitters.  For the record, he fell behind 47% tonight, 40% UK game 2, and 56% UK game 1, so cumulative over the last 3 outings, he has fallen behind 48% of the time.  Just a little off from 70%.  He has also thrown FPS of 67%, 60%, and 44% respectively, for a cumulative of 59%.  That workable.  Now, on the reality of the damage when he has gotten behind on hitters.  Of the 9 hits he has allowed over the last 3 games, he has only gotten behind on 3 of those batters (1 of those was a HR).  Again, broken?  Far from it.  Worn out?  The guy has a rubber arm and gotten to 3-1 and 5 saves.  And he better ice up, because he may be back out there on Fri.

My apologies, Mrs. Coker. I just prefer him being used as a matchup guy.  And thanks for the checking on the statistics.  Seriously. I read the gamecast recap very wrong.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe he's hitting on all cylinders and the 8.85 ERA over his last 3 innings and 6.0 ERA against conference opponents is who he is at normal usage.  Listen, I'm not here to rag on him, because like we've both agreed on, he's the best healthy bullpen pitcher AU has right now and a good weapon to have.  And if this team is going to make a run, he's going to have to be a big reason behind it.  I'm just of the opinion he's more of a weapon with that delivery over short appearances/the right matchups.  It's not his fault we've had to trot him out so much.  Regardless,  can’t wait to get a full healthy bullpen to successfully close out big games like the one they lost Friday night. WDE 

Coker’s being asked to fill two roles twice as often as he probably ought to. He’s an outstanding set-up guy. There’s no such thing as a four inning closer. What he’s doing right now is pretty heroic. Kid’s got really broad shoulders in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

My apologies, Mrs. Coker. I just prefer him being used as a matchup guy.  And thanks for the checking on the statistics.  Seriously. I read the gamecast recap very wrong.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe he's hitting on all cylinders and the 8.85 ERA over his last 3 innings and 6.0 ERA against conference opponents is who he is at normal usage.  Listen, I'm not here to rag on him, because like we've both agreed on, he's the best healthy bullpen pitcher AU has right now and a good weapon to have.  And if this team is going to make a run, he's going to have to be a big reason behind it.  I'm just of the opinion he's more of a weapon with that delivery over short appearances/the right matchups.  It's not his fault we've had to trot him out so much.  Regardless,  can’t wait to get a full healthy bullpen to successfully close out big games like the one they lost Friday night. WDE 

Thanks SA.  Glad your are not ragging on him.  I guess "broken" is a compliment now.  My bad. Sorry to hurt your fragile feelings with actual data.  I'm also sure you are so smart to know that you can pull any sample size to support a point.  Brilliant move by you to stick your chest out. I think it is hilarious when people just spout off an opinion like it is fact.   I hope you keep supporting the whole team with your "support".  I'm sure they'll appreciate it too.  My point, which was made, is he is not "broken", just "worn out" and not being used ideally....but the kid is making the most of it until more of the troops are healthy.  WDE

57 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Thanks SA.  Glad your are not ragging on him.  I guess "broken" is a compliment now.  My bad. Sorry to hurt your fragile feelings with actual data.  I'm also sure you are so smart to know that you can pull any sample size to support a point.  Brilliant move by you to stick your chest out. I think it is hilarious when people just spout off an opinion like it is fact.   I hope you keep supporting the whole team with your "support".  I'm sure they'll appreciate it too.  My point, which was made, is he is not "broken", just "worn out" and not being used ideally....but the kid is making the most of it until more of the troops are healthy.  WDE

I find it odd how we agree on several points here, but our points of disagreement make you really upset.   Damn, for a second there I thought it was going to be a good discussion with different viewpoints rather than an attack mode.   But such is the trend of today's "message forum" I guess.  I'm not much for pissing contests (I don't ever stay hydrated enough to compete in them very well).  So, how about this.  I'll concede a title of "King of the Message Board" and convey on you all the machismo and self-worth that the title bestows on you, I'll use this nifty ignore feature (and you can do the same while claiming I ignored you because you "got" me) and we can go on with our lives!  Plus, it saves you from another "holier-than-thou-fan" response to this as I won't see it!  You are right in everything you post!  And about my "support"!  There is definitely no documentation in this forum over about 8 years of less than decent seasons of me supporting this team.  Hell, I'm down right Bammerish.  You caught me!  Thanks for putting me in my place!

17 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

On a lighter note....

Jack  Owen  Randle McMurphy?

Jack Nicholson in Milos Foreman's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975)

This team definitely has some guys with "flow" on their head.  Doesn't beat the year though we had Cooper.  That man had a mane lol!

23 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I find it odd how we agree on several points here, but our points of disagreement make you really upset.   Damn, for a second there I thought it was going to be a good discussion with different viewpoints rather than an attack mode.   But such is the trend of today's "message forum" I guess.  I'm not much for pissing contests (I don't ever stay hydrated enough to compete in them very well).  So, how about this.  I'll concede a title of "King of the Message Board" and convey on you all the machismo and self-worth that the title bestows on you, I'll use this nifty ignore feature (and you can do the same while claiming I ignored you because you "got" me) and we can go on with our lives!  Plus, it saves you from another "holier-than-thou-fan" response to this as I won't see it!  You are right in everything you post!  And about my "support"!  There is definitely no documentation in this forum over about 8 years of less than decent seasons of me supporting this team.  Hell, I'm down right Bammerish.  You caught me!  Thanks for putting me in my place!

I'm so sorry to upset this poor baby....and even more sad you won't get a bye kiss.  Like most these days, take your ball and go home little buddy.  

I stand corrected now.  You are a genius and the biggest AU supporter out there...and for 8 long years.  Kudos.  Please hurry and give Butch your #, so he can buzz you for more insight on all our "broken" arms.  Better yet, he can just wait to pre-game and discuss it with you the next time he plays your team.  I wish we had more "broken" arms to throw right now. I'm sure Butch does too.

Look, it's ok.  You know you were wrong using "broken" and you tried to admit it, but we all still love ya man. And never ever let facts get in the way of a good rant.  I'm sure other players are jealous that you aren't complimenting them with their BA with RISP.  Coker should feel honored.  

I think we should regulate Coker to bullpen catcher and Holland to bat boy, until they prove their worth.  Not to be a "broken" record, ya know.  Hmmm...where is that **ignore** button anyway...

12 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I would be very surprised if that happened. 

Butch said he'd be disappointed if Greenhill couldn't pitch this weekend. As long as the test today comes back ok, I think we will see him. With the amount of innings Coker has thrown lately, we really need Greenhill to return and pitch some. Coker has thrown 111 pitches in 5 days on a day rest each time out. He needs a break but probably won't get one if Greenhill isn't cleared.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU hitters used up all their offense in one inning.....putting the burden on a bull pen / pitching staff without much going for it with Greenhill still out. 

We still ended up with 13 hits and 5 hitters with 2-hit games. Much better than what we saw over the last two weekends or the midweek against GT. And several of the outs we had were really hard hit balls. I think everyone hit at least one ball really hard, which is a good sign. Anthony is close to having a breakout weekend. Conor Davis swung it well. Holland is continuing his tear. Happy to see the offense have a good night at the plate. Should give them a lot of confidence going into the weekend series against Mizzou.

17 minutes ago, boomstick said:

We still ended up with 13 hits and 5 hitters with 2-hit games. Much better than what we saw over the last two weekends or the midweek against GT. And several of the outs we had were really hard hit balls. I think everyone hit at least one ball really hard, which is a good sign. Anthony is close to having a breakout weekend. Conor Davis swung it well. Holland is continuing his tear. Happy to see the offense have a good night at the plate. Should give them a lot of confidence going into the weekend series against Mizzou.

Holland showing some pop at the plate this year too.  I don't know how Riverwalk's dimensions compare to Plainsman Park's, but those 2 HRs were a pleasant surprise from him.

23 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Warmer weather and rival definitely seemed to help bring the bats to life some.  Good to see.  Anthony is really close!

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Line up looks good.....hope Owen gets off to a good start.  bama has not been strong this year.....would be a really BAD loss to not beat those guys...

Couldn't have been any worse than getting swept @home last year when we were in potential regional hosting position at the time.

59 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Holland showing some pop at the plate this year too.  I don't know how Riverwalk's dimensions compare to Plainsman Park's, but those 2 HRs were a pleasant surprise from him.

The dimensions from Left-to-Right are 314/380/401/377/332 with a pretty tall wall all around. Holland’s first HR was to LF. Probably doesn’t go out in Auburn because it was more of a line drive, but it was still solidly struck. The second was deep to LCF over the 380 sign and was gone anywhere. It was a bomb. He’s swinging the bat very well right now. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Butch said he'd be disappointed if Greenhill couldn't pitch this weekend. As long as the test today comes back ok, I think we will see him. With the amount of innings Coker has thrown lately, we really need Greenhill to return and pitch some. Coker has thrown 111 pitches in 5 days on a day rest each time out. He needs a break but probably won't get one if Greenhill isn't cleared.

Yeah I heard that. It would be a really fast recovery from mono if he does return, and I will still be surprised by it. It doesn't happen that way very often.

2 hours ago, 4WDE said:

I'm so sorry to upset this poor baby....and even more sad you won't get a bye kiss.  Like most these days, take your ball and go home little buddy.  

I stand corrected now.  You are a genius and the biggest AU supporter out there...and for 8 long years.  Kudos.  Please hurry and give Butch your #, so he can buzz you for more insight on all our "broken" arms.  Better yet, he can just wait to pre-game and discuss it with you the next time he plays your team.  I wish we had more "broken" arms to throw right now. I'm sure Butch does too.

Look, it's ok.  You know you were wrong using "broken" and you tried to admit it, but we all still love ya man. And never ever let facts get in the way of a good rant.  I'm sure other players are jealous that you aren't complimenting them with their BA with RISP.  Coker should feel honored.  

I think we should regulate Coker to bullpen catcher and Holland to bat boy, until they prove their worth.  Not to be a "broken" record, ya know.  Hmmm...where is that **ignore** button anyway...

Dude... seriously... this is the second thread I've seen today where you were an absolute jerk to another poster. Heck, in the other one you actually accused someone who works as a ref of never reading the rule book (yes, different sport, but the man does know his stuff if you'd take the time to learn about him before attacking).

You've got good info and we appreciate you sharing but how about giving the attitude a rest? 

9 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Yeah I heard that. It would be a really fast recovery from mono if he does return, and I will still be surprised by it. It doesn't happen that way very often.

Sounds like you’re feelings are correct. Butch said today he would be cleared to start working out again and throwing again but won’t be on the 27-man roster this weekend.  

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Dude... seriously... this is the second thread I've seen today where you were an absolute jerk to another poster. Heck, in the other one you actually accused someone who works as a ref of never reading the rule book (yes, different sport, but the man does know his stuff if you'd take the time to learn about him before attacking).

You've got good info and we appreciate you sharing but how about giving the attitude a rest? 

It's all good.  Cool that you could look back through my profile to see more posts to see more than one thread today.  If you look at all the posts, you would see I'm actually pretty laid back and complimentary.  In the two instances that caught your eye, each time I was just replying to their barbs defending my point/opinion with facts.  They didn't like the facts laid out to them and blasted away.  If you look at the context of the conversation, you would notice I only threw some heat their way after receiving it.  I never attacked originally.  If you throw a punch, you have to be able to take one.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  Sports forums are for fun, so don't miss any tongue and cheek mixed in too.  Notice that although you called me a jerk with an attitude, I didn't throw high and tight on ya.  We all big boys here.

17 hours ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like you’re feelings are correct. Butch said today he would be cleared to start working out again and throwing again but won’t be on the 27-man roster this weekend.  

He will brought back to playing time gradually as his symptoms of fatigue allow. If he's throwing I'm guessing his spleen is not much of an issue anymore. 

I hope Coker eats his wheaties all weekend because he'll probably be working a lot.

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Alabama

Archived