Starting rotation for the next two weeks

Butch said after the game that Mize and Burns will stay on Friday and Saturday. So, that makes this Tuesday and Thursday interesting. My guess is Jack Owen will start Tuesday and we won’t throw anyone in that game that we think we could use Thursday or Friday. We could see 5-6 guys throw then. 

I’m guessing we will start Mitchell Thursday since we pulled him at 66 pitches and he looked strong when we made the change. Then we will probably have everyone in the pen available. Coker, Daniel, and Greenhill are probably all available. Hopefully, whoever starts on Thursday gives us a quality start so we don’t burn a bunch of arms up Thursday night. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Butch said after the game that Mize and Burns will stay on Friday and Saturday. So, that makes this Tuesday and Thursday interesting. My guess is Jack Owen will start Tuesday and we won’t throw anyone in that game that we think we could use Thursday or Friday. We could see 5-6 guys throw then. 

I’m guessing we will start Mitchell Thursday since we pulled him at 66 pitches and he looked strong when we made the change. Then we will probably have everyone in the pen available. Coker, Daniel, and Greenhill are probably all available. Hopefully, whoever starts on Thursday gives us a quality start so we don’t burn a bunch of arms up Thursday night. 

Knowing this so early, be interested to see if Ole Miss or LSU counter. Doubt they would considering Auburn is basically giving them a better than usual Thursday shot with their ace. I bet a lot of game two and game three starters for them the next two weeks though are a bit deflated when they find out lol

I can read, so I know why he is doing this. I just don't understand it. The difference between five days rest and six days rest should be non-existent. Pitting our #3 guy against their ace in the opening game of a series is looking for trouble.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I can read, so I know why he is doing this. I just don't understand it. The difference between five days rest and six days rest should be non-existent. Pitting our #3 guy against their ace in the opening game of a series is looking for trouble.

I think there’s more to 5 days rest instead of 6 days. Changes when bullpens are thrown, the recovery process and routine, and how much work they can do between starts.  As far as matchups, while the opponent would have an advantageous matchup in game one, we’d have our ace versus their #2 and our #2 versus their #3 in the last two games. 

7 hours ago, boomstick said:

I think there’s more to 5 days rest instead of 6 days. Changes when bullpens are thrown, the recovery process and routine, and how much work they can do between starts.  As far as matchups, while the opponent would have an advantageous matchup in game one, we’d have our ace versus their #2 and our #2 versus their #3 in the last two games. 

You don't see that as (sort of) conceding the opening game, thus killing the possibility of a sweep and making losing the series a real probability? All the rest of those changes are going to be forced upon us when tournament time gets here.

Pitchers can be flexible, and they'll have to be in a couple of weeks anyway. That being said, Butch knows more about his staff than I do. He's the guy I wanted us to hire when we took the ill-fated step of hiring Pawloski all those years ago. I'm not down on our coach I simply don't understand what the hell he's doing! :)

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You don't see that as (sort of) conceding the opening game, thus killing the possibility of a sweep and making losing the series a real probability? All the rest of those changes are going to be forced upon us when tournament time gets here.

Pitchers can be flexible, and they'll have to be in a couple of weeks anyway. That being said, Butch knows more about his staff than I do. He's the guy I wanted us to hire when we took the ill-fated step of hiring Pawloski all those years ago. I'm not down on our coach I simply don't understand what the hell he's doing! :)

I don’t think it’s conceding anything. Butch probably doesn’t make this decision if he isn’t confident in his third starter. Mitchell and Daniel both looked good yesterday. Plus Coker and Greenhill were strong this weekend too. I don’t think you ever go into a series with a pitching setup to sweep. I think any coach will tell you the goal is to win every series. Sweeps are great, but they’re extremely tough to come by. And I certainly don’t think mixing up our starters lessens our probability to win either of the last two series. 

Pitchers can be flexible, but Mize and Burns likely won’t be any more flexible than they are now. They’re going to have their starts against OM, LSU, maybe pitch at the SECT depending on our game times and how many we play, and they will make their one appearance at the regional (and super regional if we make it). There’s not much more they’re going to be asked to do other than maybe throw a short outing at the SECT like we did with Keegan last year.  

Butch said this morning that Jack Owen will start Tuesday and that, if he was a betting man, he’d bet Davis Daniel will start Thursday. 

21 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Butch said this morning that Jack Owen will start Tuesday and that, if he was a betting man, he’d bet Davis Daniel will start Thursday. 

So who determines the starter.....the Pitching Coach or Butch?  Just wondering.   Only reason I would not start out best pitcher to win game #1 is if I learned that OM was doing something similar with their rotation.    

Otherwise....getting one in the bag on Thursday night seems like an automatic decision to me. :dunno:

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So who determines the starter.....the Pitching Coach or Butch?  Just wondering.   Only reason I would not start out best pitcher to win game #1 is if I learned that OM was doing something similar with their rotation.    

Otherwise....getting one in the bag on Thursday night seems like an automatic decision to me. :dunno:

Butch has said before he’d get with Coach Smith and make the decision together on who starts. So they probably haven’t had that conversation officially yet. 

Butch specifically talked about Mize’s health as the reason why he’s starting on Friday. He said they went into the season with the plan to do whatever was necessary to make sure Mize was 100% for each start and to do everything possible to prevent him from missing starts like last year. He talked about Mize missing starts last year and him sitting all fall trying to get him healthy. He then spoke about Mize’s long outing on Friday, having already started a few days ago in short rest, and not wanting to rush Mize or Burns into a start this late in the season as reasons for pushing them back a day. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Butch has said before he’d get with Coach Smith and make the decision together on who starts. So they probably haven’t had that conversation officially yet. 

Butch specifically talked about Mize’s health as the reason why he’s starting on Friday. He said they went into the season with the plan to do whatever was necessary to make sure Mize was 100% for each start and to do everything possible to prevent him from missing starts like last year. He talked about Mize missing starts last year and him sitting all fall trying to get him healthy. He then spoke about Mize’s long outing on Friday, having already started a few days ago in short rest, and not wanting to rush Mize or Burns into a start this late in the season as reasons for pushing them back a day. 

Too bad CBT did not have enough faith in his bull pen to take Mize out earlier....a  4-1 lead was holdable....but with our pen...not such a sure thing. 

Strange...... if Davis starts....on Thursday since he would have 4 days rest since his outing with Vandy which was short of course....so maybe treat the start like a relief appearance.....and keep someone ready in the bull pen from the first pitch. 

Still having difficulty considering 5 full days as "short rest" for Mize.....but that's Butch's call of course.  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

T

Still having difficulty considering 5 full days as "short rest" for Mize.....but that's Butch's call of course.  

You and me both.

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Funny, I thought I saw Andrew Mitchell pitch 5 1/3 yesterday against Vandy and only give up one hit while striking out 5 and not walking a single batter.

Yes you did. Has that been his norm for the season? No it hasn't. From a fan's perspective, is there any reason to think he can/will repeat that performance? We can hope he will, but logic says it's not likely.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Yes you did. Has that been his norm for the season? No it hasn't. From a fan's perspective, is there any reason to think he can/will repeat that performance? We can hope he will, but logic says it's not likely.

I’d stay Mitchell’s performance Sunday is more similar to what we’ve seen from him most of the year than not. He’s only had 2 less-than-stellar outings. They just happened to be has last two. When Mitchell got hurt, he had an ERA below 1. He hasn’t given up more than 4 hits in an outing all season. His issue against Bama and Florida was control, which hadn’t been really been a problem all year. 

Now, I don’t expect Mitchell to be that precise the rest of the year, but that was more like what we saw from Mitchell early in the year than what he showed against Bama and Florida. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Too bad CBT did not have enough faith in his bull pen to take Mize out earlier....a  4-1 lead was holdable....but with our pen...not such a sure thing. 

Strange...... if Davis starts....on Thursday since he would have 4 days rest since his outing with Vandy which was short of course....so maybe treat the start like a relief appearance.....and keep someone ready in the bull pen from the first pitch. 

Don’t think it’s not trusting the bullpen. I think you pitch the game you’re in at that moment they beat way you can to win it. You don’t look forward to next weekend. You win that game. Mize was the best option for that.

I’m not really sure what the deal was with Mitchell. His velo did drop in that 6th inning, but he also sat for a while the half inning before when we scored a bunch of runs. Maybe the coaches saw something with the one hitter he faced and his velocity dropping and decided it was time to make a change before he got into a possible bind. With Davis only throwing 18 pitches, that’s not any more than a short bullpen session. Mitchell threw 66 and would need longer to recover. I’m guessing Daniel will only go one time through the lineup. Then try to work in Mitchell if he can go. Same with Coker. 

It’s only considered short rest because a college pitcher’s routine is set up on 6 days rest. They start early in the spring working on their routines like they’re pitching every Friday or Saturday or Sunday. So, you lift and toss the day after your start, throw a light pen 2 days after the start, throw another pen midweek, and then get ready for your start. Whatever your routine is. If you cut out a day, you’re either eliminating rest or part of that routine that helps them stay strong and sharp throughout the season. Routine is a big deal. The same thing will happen in pro ball, but your routine will be set up on pitching every fifth day. And knowing that, you’ll build your routine and program around that to make sure you’re prepared for each start. 

10 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

CAEEEBFD-5EFB-4200-8090-56CF4BD98EC1.png

Yet ole miss is 5th and Auburn 18th.  Auburn is much better than 18th, but Ole Miss is worse than 5th

Yet ole miss is 5th and Auburn 18th.  Auburn is much better than 18th, but Ole Miss is worse than 5th

Yep..hard to figure that but they won series from LSU, Arky, Georgia, Tennessee and the aggies so guess they get some credit for that...before their series loss at USCe.

No matter.....either we beat them or we don't and ratings don't affect the games so I'm just hoping we don't lay an egg in game #1 and spend the weekend trying to win just one game. 

The Rebs Friday and Saturday starters have healthy ERAs. Both north of 4.00. While Auburn's starters for those two days have ERAs are under 3.00. This bodes well for Auburn IF those bats stay hot.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

The Rebs Friday and Saturday starters have healthy ERAs. Both north of 4.00. While Auburn's starters for those two days have ERAs are under 3.00. This bodes well for Auburn IF those bats stay hot.

Ryan Rolison has a 5.09 ERA in 46 IP with 53 Ks and 20 BBs in SEC play. Brady Fiegl has a 6.37 ERA with 39 Ks and 20 BBs. Their Sunday starter, James McArthur, has a 5.50 ERA with 28 Ks and 21 BBs.

I think what I've noticed most about their starters is their control. None of them have great control and can be prone to working from behind in counts often. That's been their issue in recent weeks. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Ryan Rolison has a 5.09 ERA in 46 IP with 53 Ks and 20 BBs in SEC play. Brady Fiegl has a 6.37 ERA with 39 Ks and 20 BBs. Their Sunday starter, James McArthur, has a 5.50 ERA with 28 Ks and 21 BBs.

I think what I've noticed most about their starters is their control. None of them have great control and can be prone to working from behind in counts often. That's been their issue in recent weeks. 

So let's have patient at bats. Make them throw strikes. Take walks. Get hits. Sweep.

20 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

So let's have patient at bats. Make them throw strikes. Take walks. Get hits. Sweep.

Well, it was a good thought. Rolison was pretty sharp last night, and we missed the best chance we had to run him early or really get to him in that third inning. Getting out of that inning fueled him on for 3 more solid innings before we finally got to him in the 7th. The positive is we forced them to use Caracci for 2.1 innings. 

I think the offensive strategy needs to be the same tonight. Fiegl can give up a big inning in a hurry. He's a fastball/slider guy that is tough when he's on, but he can have issues with command and trailing in counts. Early in the game, we need to look for fastballs we can drive and make him throw a bunch of strikes. If he does, we can adjust the second time through. We need to give Mize some run support tonight. Would be great if we could do it early to relieve some of the pressure I'm sure he's going to feel about this game tonight.

Listening to Butch this morning, it sounds like Mize and Burns might throw Thursday and Friday this week. Butch mentioned Mize’s short outing and Burns’s low pitch count as reasons why they might move them. Nothing set in stone other than Jack Owen is starting tomorrow, but it sounds like something the coaches are considering. 

On 5/10/2018 at 3:23 PM, boomstick said:

We made those guys look like first round picks....double figure Ks in each game.

Archived