Raleigh Regional

Mize also is a better deterrent for how Army attacks you.  Army gets base runners and runs like crazy.  Casey has a 14:1 K to walk ratio.  He simply keeps you off base.  That takes away their greatest strength and chance to beat us. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m glad Butch didn’t overthink things and get too cute. You go with your ace today and don’t screw around. Some of you must like playing with Monopoly money too. :)

10 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Mize also is a better deterrent for how Army attacks you.  Army gets base runners and runs like crazy.  Casey has a 14:1 K to walk ratio.  He simply keeps you off base.  That takes away their greatest strength and chance to beat us. 

I was going to point this out. I think Mize’s pitching style is what gives us the edge over Army. Mitchell is a strikeout pitcher too, but I certainly feel more comfortable with Mize keeping them off base. 

The other side of this, however, is the fact that if we held Mize, but lost, we would still have the best pitching available in the tournament. Throwing Mize against, likely NCST the next day, would set us up with needing to beat Army twice, and probably against inferior pitching. Just a thought 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m glad Butch didn’t overthink things and get too cute. You go with your ace today and don’t screw around. Some of you must like playing with Monopoly money too. :)

We already messed around some by holding Mize for day 2. We got away with that so I don't feel like pushing our luck. My only concern is if Mize can return to the Mize of earlier in the season. The Mize of the last three outings with a 6.75 ERA won't take us very far through this tournament.

We look to be in good shape to win this regional but we could still lose it and tougher days are right around the corner.

Mike is the right choice IMO. He needs a confidence boosting outing, and Army might provide that. Probably a little less pressure than trying to win it tomorrow or force an “if” game.  

I understand everyone's a bit wary of Mize's recent struggles, but c'mon guys, let's not run down the NUMBER ONE DRAFT PICK too much now lol ?.  He's still a freaking stud who is more likely to give you 7-8 innings of 1 run ball than struggle

State leads Northeastern 2-0 after 1.

26 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I understand everyone's a bit wary of Mize's recent struggles, but c'mon guys, let's not run down the NUMBER ONE DRAFT PICK too much now lol ?.  He's still a freaking stud who is more likely to give you 7-8 innings of 1 run ball than struggle

He's got the stuff...I just worry about the number of pitches and pitching strategy....would really like to see CBP or Smith calling the pitches as I've said previously.  The coaches almost certainly know more about the hitters than CM and might do a better job of mixing up his pitches.   Otherwise, the guys is as good as anyone out there but recent results not up to his talent level...JMO.

I have a question......when Casey Mize is drafted on Monday, will this prohibit him from playing in the super regional & CWS?

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I have a question......when Casey Mize is drafted on Monday, will this prohibit him from playing in the super regional & CWS?

Can't believe this is a serious question.  Has to be a joke right?

4 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I read on Al.com that this is his last game before the draft.  I honestly do not know and did not mean to offend.  I just asked a simple question my friend.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Why wouldn’t that be a serious question?

you and I know the answer but obviously doc doesn’t or he wouldn’t have asked.

every pro sport is different and there has been speculation of the nba draft and guys staying in or getting out.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I read on Al.com that this is his last game before the draft.  I honestly do not know and did not mean to offend.  I just asked a simple question my friend.

Doc, he will be eligible for the NCAA tourney.  Might assumption is his eligibility would be based on actually signing a contract in the near future, after the college season is over.

This is where I got the information......

Mize (9-5, 3.07 ERA) will be making his final appearance before Monday's MLB First-Year Player Draft, when he is expected to be taken with the No. 1 overall pick by the Detroit Tigers. The two-time All-American has been oftentimes dominant this season, racking up 140 strikeouts while issuing just 10 walks in 15 starts spanning 102 2/3 innings.

This sounded like this will be his final game. I hope this explains why I asked this.

This is his final appearance before the draft.

Barring injury, this is not his final appearance in an Auburn uniform.

All is good;  I am pulling for Casey to shut down the cadets and take us closer to the promised land.

Where is the NC State and NE being shown?  I cannot find it anywhere.

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Where is the NC State and NE being shown?  I cannot find it anywhere.

It was streaming earlier as part of the watchESPN internet offering.  Technical difficulties appeared around the 3rd inning and I haven't checked back since.  Last I heard though, NC State had a huge lead 

10 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

It was streaming earlier as part of the watchESPN internet offering.  Technical difficulties appeared around the 3rd inning and I haven't checked back since.  Last I heard though, NC State had a huge lead 

9-1 T7

That was near impossible to play in that kind of rain, new ball each pitch and still couldn't grip it.  Glad they got it in, but if it would have been a close game I feel certain they would have rain delayed it.  Looks like the rain will move on in time for our game.

49 minutes ago, BhamCAT said:

That was near impossible to play in that kind of rain, new ball each pitch and still couldn't grip it.  Glad they got it in, but if it would have been a close game I feel certain they would have rain delayed it.  Looks like the rain will move on in time for our game.

The problem with them continuing to play in that kind of rain is what is it doing to the field?  Putting the tarp out would make it much easier for the grounds crew to maintain a playable surface.  That much rain will take a while to dry even with numerous bags of sta-dry. 

Archived