Null



Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

2020 5* PG Sharife Cooper Commits to AU! (9/27)

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, alexava said:

What does Harper have to decide?

Whether he wants to play another year at Auburn or move on even if it means he ends up in an overseas league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, Tiger said:

We badly are going to need Harper to stick around next year IMO

yep. We need that veteran presence while we bring in a FR PG to learn to take over.

While McCormick shows flashes of being a good PG, he is too much out of control to me. I will say this...he has better moves around the basket as he slashes to it, than Harper. This year, it seems Harper can't seem to finish his drives, and get's blocked most of the time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

yep. We need that veteran presence while we bring in a FR PG to learn to take over.

While McCormick shows flashes of being a good PG, he is too much out of control to me. I will say this...he has better moves around the basket as he slashes to it, than Harper. This year, it seems Harper can't seem to finish his drives, and get's blocked most of the time...

Harper also has not been getting as many calls as years past as he drives to the basket. In prior years refs were giving him more benefit of the doubt when he went into the paint and tried to get a shot off. That's not the case anymore and teams are making sure to limit contact on him and just force him to finish over significantly taller players which is tough for him due to obvious natural limitations. I'm looking for him to add a consistent mid range floater or jumper (he's shown to shoot the J on rare occasion) this off-season.

Also, not only do we need Harper's experience for Tyrell Jones but we will likely lose a lot of offensive production for next year. Who's going to make up for Brown's offensive input? It's not going to be Samir, his shot mechanics make it really challenging for him to score unless a defense absolutely just leaves him. I have a sinking feeling it's going to be hard for us to buy buckets next season and our strongest offensive option is going to be Harper. And I just do not see a 5'8 score first PG to be a sound first option for winning many games in our conference. Harper is one of the best PGs we have ever had but he cannot do the heavy lifting alone. I really doubt Chuma stays but it would be maaaajor if he did. 

I am not counting on any of the freshman to be consistent options on offense. Okoro's lack of long range J will be noticeable his freshman year IMO and he's our best incoming player. Al Flan will hopefully give us freshman-Bryce Brown type production but I don't think its reasonable to look for more. Babatune will be like a freshman Horace. Jaylin Williams a freshman Mac. 

Either way, I'll be there for the ride. It's been a treat seeing Horace/Brown/Mustapha/Harper/Mac grow game by game and year by year and turn AU basketball into an SEC contending program.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ellitor said:

National Championships

Wooden - 11
Coach K - 5

As a Duke fan myself I love Coach K but Wooden is the GOAT. #CaseClosed

Coach K has done it in a far far far harder ERA and ERAS. You are right though case is closed. Coach K is GOAT. Just like with womens college basketball even though Geno has more natties I still think Summit is the best to ever do it. ANYWAYS to bring it full circle........... Hope AU can get COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Not that this matters directly to auburn but trendon watford is looking hard at duke.  It appeared turds/Memphis was tight with turds making a move but duke jumped in and they’ve caught his attention.  (I got some info and wanted to be “that guy”!)

Don't say that around jeffy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't say that around jeffy

 

will.gif

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Coach K has done it in a far far far harder ERA and ERAS.

Still 10 in 12 years is insane regardless of the era.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just like with womens college basketball even though Geno has more natties I still think Summit is the best to ever do it.

I love Pat & don't like Geno but he's the best ever for the same reason you like Coach K more. Geno has done most of his in a much tougher era. Pat is the Hulk Hogan of women's basketball with much better character in that she put women's basketball on the map. Geno is the best though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Don't say that around jeffy

It’s nice to know I can still live rent free in your noggin when needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4450265

I think you are smart enough to know mustache offering up nuggets every blue moon when he hears something is a lot different than a pseudo insider trying to be something that he’s not.  

 

Edited by aujeff11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Harper also has not been getting as many calls as years past as he drives to the basket. In prior years refs were giving him more benefit of the doubt when he went into the paint and tried to get a shot off. That's not the case anymore and teams are making sure to limit contact on him and just force him to finish over significantly taller players which is tough for him due to obvious natural limitations. I'm looking for him to add a consistent mid range floater or jumper (he's shown to shoot the J on rare occasion) this off-season.

Also, not only do we need Harper's experience for Tyrell Jones but we will likely lose a lot of offensive production for next year. Who's going to make up for Brown's offensive input? It's not going to be Samir, his shot mechanics make it really challenging for him to score unless a defense absolutely just leaves him. I have a sinking feeling it's going to be hard for us to buy buckets next season and our strongest offensive option is going to be Harper. And I just do not see a 5'8 score first PG to be a sound first option for winning many games in our conference. Harper is one of the best PGs we have ever had but he cannot do the heavy lifting alone. I really doubt Chuma stays but it would be maaaajor if he did. 

I am not counting on any of the freshman to be consistent options on offense. Okoro's lack of long range J will be noticeable his freshman year IMO and he's our best incoming player. Al Flan will hopefully give us freshman-Bryce Brown type production but I don't think its reasonable to look for more. Babatune will be like a freshman Horace. Jaylin Williams a freshman Mac. 

Either way, I'll be there for the ride. It's been a treat seeing Horace/Brown/Mustapha/Harper/Mac grow game by game and year by year and turn AU basketball into an SEC contending program.

wow, if Okeke goes pro, we are in a world of hurt from inside experience and scoring. Losing Brown is bad enough, but Okeke gone will change our whole offense.

One other guy that might help with outside scoring besides Flanagan, is the transfer from Memphis (Williams). 

I.m still scratching my head at the reports that no one could guard Samir during practices while he was sitting out.  That his dribble drive ability made him one of our best in the backcourt. I have seen nothing when he has the ball in his hands to show he can get around SEC players and score or get fouled. He seems very weak strength-wise. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s nice to know I can still live rent free in your noggin when needed. 

I'm sorry if the people here routinely like to point out your insecurities and weaknesses. That must be painful.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

 

I.m still scratching my head at the reports that no one could guard Samir during practices while he was sitting out.  That his dribble drive ability made him one of our best in the backcourt. I have seen nothing when he has the ball in his hands to show he can get around SEC players and score or get fouled. He seems very weak strength-wise. 

To be fair, he was probably being defended by Bryce.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

wow, if Okeke goes pro, we are in a world of hurt from inside experience and scoring. Losing Brown is bad enough, but Okeke gone will change our whole offense.

One other guy that might help with outside scoring besides Flanagan, is the transfer from Memphis (Williams). 

I.m still scratching my head at the reports that no one could guard Samir during practices while he was sitting out.  That his dribble drive ability made him one of our best in the backcourt. I have seen nothing when he has the ball in his hands to show he can get around SEC players and score or get fouled. He seems very weak strength-wise. 

Well think about who was guarding Samir in practice -- we don't really have stalwart on D to stop anyone from really doing what they want on the perimeter. Also, pre-season reports are always exaggerated IMO regarding how good newcomers are, but that is just my personal opinion. We are all full of hope before we see someone in game action.

Great catch on the transfer from Memphis Jamal Johnson. I hope he can shoot because we are going to need some shooters. I forgot about him. Did he leave Memphis before or after Penny was hired? Was it suggested to him that he look elsewhere? His offer list out of HS was pretty impressive. Wondering why he went to Memphis over the SEC schools he had offers from. 4* kid. I'm actually a little optimistic because he seemed coveted out of HS. Samir transferred from a mid major and has looked like a mid major player for most of the season, but his offer list wasn't that great. Desean Murray however came from a low-major and did well for us last year. I hope Johnson can be a starting SG caliber player for us. Would like to not have to start too many freshman next year.

 

 

Edit: ah @bigbird just barely beat me to the punch about who was possibly guarding Samir in practice

Edited by Tiger
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

wow, if Okeke goes pro, we are in a world of hurt from inside experience and scoring. Losing Brown is bad enough, but Okeke gone will change our whole offense.

One other guy that might help with outside scoring besides Flanagan, is the transfer from Memphis (Williams). 

I.m still scratching my head at the reports that no one could guard Samir during practices while he was sitting out.  That his dribble drive ability made him one of our best in the backcourt. I have seen nothing when he has the ball in his hands to show he can get around SEC players and score or get fouled. He seems very weak strength-wise. 

I think we were fed that info about Samir by the SAME person who routinely feeds a bunch of sunshine pumping BS to Phillip Marshall during spring and fall practice that mostly turn out to be false. 

UNTIL he proves to me otherwise I will have to see it to believe it from the transfer from Memphis. I am still snakebitten by samir when it comes to transfers. He just simply has not shown up at all vs good competition besides washington. That was back in freaking November and clearly that was the exception not the rule. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm sorry if the people here routinely like to point out your insecurities and weaknesses. That must be painful.

You mean you’re sorry that I won’t be the one to be sold a can of goods right? There was nothing pointed out to me by you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think we were fed that info about Samir by the SAME person who routinely feeds a bunch of sunshine pumping BS to Phillip Marshall during spring and fall practice that mostly turn out to be false. 

UNTIL he proves to me otherwise I will have to see it to believe it from the transfer from Memphis. I am still snakebitten by samir when it comes to transfers. He just simply has not shown up at all vs good competition besides washington. That was back in freaking November and clearly that was the exception not the rule. 

I totally hear you on apprehension on Johnson. There is a slight difference (hoping it's a big difference!!!), Samir was a 3* kid with not a very impressive offer list. Johnson at least was a 4* with major d-1 teams asking for his services. 

 

But that's all I got bro lol

Edited by Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

You mean you’re sorry that I won’t be the one to be sold a can of goods right? There was nothing pointed out to me by you. 

Thanks for reinforcing our opinions of you. It's always appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To be fair, he was probably being defended by Bryce.

Bryce isn’t a bad perimeter defender and one of the best ones on our team.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigbird said:

Thanks for reinforcing our opinions of you. It's always appreciated.

You’re literally talking out of your ass right now.  What exactly is being reinforced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Bryce isn’t a bad perimeter defender and one of the best ones on our team.

Contrary and clueless is bound to pay off soon enough. You just keep pushing forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this