Incredible side of Malzahn

aubiefifty

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Sounds like he could lead Auburn to 10-3 this year and 14-0 next year and some people would still have their pitchforks out, huh?

Not gonna happen. Still got my trusty pitchfork by my side 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the article said one of the players said he has been that way in practice just not during games...everyone wants to pile on Gus. But the same issues of defending the deep ball have plagued Auburn since game 1. I like Steele but this live by die by man coverage has not yielded positive results thus far. In each home loss Tennessee and LSU receivers dominated Auburn on 50/50 balls. I know the offense is not humming, but coming into the season the defense was the strength of the team and still is. And I don’t think Auburn has had a game without a defensive pass interference call this season. 

3 hours ago, CR said:

He's been here 6 years. How long should "growing pains" last? 

Did you happen to read my post about Nick Saban's first 6 years as head coach of a power 5 school? Sometimes it takes a coach screwing the pooch a few too many times before he gets to the height of his game.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Did you happen to read my post about Nick Saban's first 6 years as head coach of a power 5 school? Sometimes it takes a coach screwing the pooch a few too many times before he gets to the height of his game.

I did. But for every Saban, there are obviously many more who never get it. Which do you think is more likely with Gus?

5 hours ago, selias said:

I don't base a season on 1 game.

I don't either, but that point is still there. Nick Saban is at peak dynasty level, and Gus Malzahn has knocked him off twice in five seasons. Would you rather have a coach that wins the games he's supposed to win and doesn't win the ones he's not supposed to win when our three biggest rivals are in the top 10?

2 minutes ago, CR said:

I did. But for every Saban, there are obviously many more who never get it. Which do you think is more likely with Gus?

Honestly, I don't know. I see spurts of greatness in him, and I see lulls of negligence. Can he find a way to milk that greatness week in and week out? I don't know. But dang it, I get sick and tired of every single Joe Schmuck coming out of the woodworks to talk about how horrible he is everytime things aren't going according to plan. I get frustrated just as much as anyone, if not more so, but damn it, when I say "I believe in Auburn and love it," I mean it with all my heart. Now Auburn is stuck with Malzahn for at least a couple more years unless he just really breaks down, and I'd just assume that Auburn men and women mourn the losses instead of saying, "See, I told you he was no good!"

There's enough substance for me to believe that he can turn it around. Personally, I think he needs an offensive coordinator who will stand up to him and not let him micromanage everything on the offense, even while technically giving up the play calling duties, but that's just me. We'll all see the outcome soon enough.

4 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

(Obligatory disclaimer: This season has been crappy. I don't know if Gus is the answer, and i've got gripes aplenty about pure coaching things. I am not pleased and do not think we are getting our money's worth. Auburn football may cause side effects such as headache, heartburn, desire to take long walks, and loud outbursts.)

RE: Whether people would be mad if we win out because we "squandered" an opportunity -

There is a difference in being "mad" and firing a coach. I think it's reasonable on its face to be mad in that situation. It's not reasonable at all to be mad enough to fire a coach in that situation, particularly if he's done it two years in a row. I'd tell you how I really feel about it, but I'd probably draw a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty myself and get ejected.

Seriously, though. I want people to think through if it did happen (yes, I know it won't, but humor me). A coach has a team last year that wins 10, beats two biggest rivals while they were ranked #1, gets a giant contract in terms of money and years which would lead one to think they have some stability, beats a top 10 UW team to start the next year, and then, to end a season (here is where speculation starts) beats a top 15 team, and then again beats 2 biggest rivals on their home field, while one of them is ranked #1.

And you want to fire him.

WHAT COACH IS GOING TO COME TO A SCHOOL THAT DOES THAT TO A COACH?

It's asinine.

Thank you. At least someone is on the same page as I am.

Honestly, I don't know. I see spurts of greatness in him, and I see lulls of negligence. Can he find a way to milk that greatness week in and week out? I don't know. But dang it, I get sick and tired of every single Joe Schmuck coming out of the woodworks to talk about how horrible he is everytime things aren't going according to plan. I get frustrated just as much as anyone, if not more so, but damn it, when I say "I believe in Auburn and love it," I mean it with all my heart. Now Auburn is stuck with Malzahn for at least a couple more years unless he just really breaks down, and I'd just assume that Auburn men and women mourn the losses instead of saying, "See, I told you he was no good!"

There's enough substance for me to believe that he can turn it around. Personally, I think he needs an offensive coordinator who will stand up to him and not let him micromanage everything on the offense, even while technically giving up the play calling duties, but that's just me. We'll all see the outcome soon enough.

I guess I'm a Joe Schmuck, but I just don't see it. The OC part sounds good, but Gus will not listen to people who try and help him, and as HC he has final say on matters.
And I do love Auburn, but I can't close my eyes to what is happening on the field. I've seen several coaches fired from AU, and it honestly seemed time for a change  for each of them. Included in that were some coaches that I really liked. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

2 hours ago, pepper said:

Not gonna happen. Still got my trusty pitchfork by my side 

My guess, based upon those on this board who share your sentiments, is that it never left your side, even after we dominated both #1 Georgia and #1 Alabama in a span of three weeks last year. Hell, it was likely there through all of 2010 and 2013, as well.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

“Honestly, I don't know.” ——then you’re not paying attention...

“and I'd just assume that Auburn men and women mourn the losses instead of saying, "See, I told you he was no good!"”—-and I would rather Auburn folks stop accepting mediocrity and defending a coach who keeps making an ass out of our football program but can’t always get what we want eh? 

“We'll all see the outcome soon enough.”— yes we will and most of us already know what it will be...

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

“We'll all see the outcome soon enough.”— yes we will and most of us already know what it will be...

And those of you who "already know" are the same ones who will not be satisfied unless Auburn is dominating the same way Alabama has dominated for the last decade. You don't know what it is to "believe," because you "already know."

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

My guess, based upon those on this board who share your sentiments, is that it never left your side, even after we dominated both #1 Georgia and #1 Alabama in a span of three weeks last year. Hell, it was likely there through all of 2010 and 2013, as well.

Wrong, wrong.....and wrong...I loved Gus in 2009 and 2010. His offense was dynamic, different and seemingly adaptable. I like many, gave him most of the credit for the NC not Chiz.

After beating bama and uga last year I was happy, and hopeful he had figured something out..,then came the SECCG and the bowl and I was a little less happy, then this fiasco and I realized he hadn’t learned a damn thing.

2013 I was excited and happy and thought we would make more appearances in NC games or at least the playoff with Gus...now I know thats not happening.

And those of you who "already know" are the same ones who will not be satisfied unless Auburn is dominating the same way Alabama has dominated for the last decade. You don't know what it is to "believe," because you "already know."

Good god man, read some damn posts. No One and I mean no one who has a brain on here has said a darn thing about dominating like bama!! LOOK AT THE MANS RECORD! HE HAS LOST LESS THAN FOUR GAMES ONCE AND THAT TOOK TWO OF THE BIGGEST DAMN MIRACLES IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY! “Believe” in what you want to. I “believe” Auburn deserves better.

17 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Good god man, read some damn posts. No One and I mean no one who has a brain on here has said a darn thing about dominating like bama!! LOOK AT THE MANS RECORD! HE HAS LOST LESS THAN FOUR GAMES ONCE AND THAT TOOK TWO OF THE BIGGEST DAMN MIRACLES IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HISTORY! “Believe” in what you want to. I “believe” Auburn deserves better.

Okay, since you're this all knowing sensei, who is Auburn going to get that is going to do better in this conference where we have six traditional powers, two add-ons with some prestige, and traditional bottom feeders ranked in the top 25? Do we just try one out and if he doesn't win a national championship with 2-3 other ten win seasons in his first five years, go back to the drawing board?

BTW, the only reason we lost 4 games last year is because we played one extra for winning the West. We also won 10 games, something that previously has happened a total of 8 times in the last half century. As bitter a taste as the last two games left in my mouth, I still celebrate the good. You seem determined to celebrate nothing but the bad.

But I guess you're right. Gus has hit the pinnacle already, and he's on a down swing. Coaches only win 10 games at Auburn twice before the insurmountable pressure eats away at them and they go mad. Might as well fire him and hope the next coach can live up to his predecessors' success level.

10 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It's very basic knowledge that we'll lose uga and uat at a minimum. And nobody here requires dominance. We all just want him to not be a dumbass. All of your comments are perfect for 2015. The rest of us have seen enough. Your continuously comparing him to Saban is ridiculous. There's literally not one real parallel to be drawn there. It's ok for you to be down with the coach. No sense flaming on the rest of us because we aren't.

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

It's very basic knowledge that we'll lose uga and uat at a minimum. And nobody here requires dominance. We all just want him to not be a dumbass. All of your comments are perfect for 2015. The rest of us have seen enough. Your continuously comparing him to Saban is ridiculous. There's literally not one real parallel to be drawn there. It's ok for you to be down with the coach. No sense flaming on the rest of us because we aren't.

Correction: I'm down with Auburn. Whomever happens to be the head coach, I will support. Most on here don't share that sentiment. Can't accept the bad with the good, because it has to be good all the time or it's not good enough. Right?

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Okay, since you're this all knowing sensei, who is Auburn going to get that is going to do better in this conference where we have six traditional powers, two add-ons with some prestige, and traditional bottom feeders ranked in the top 25? Do we just try one out and if he doesn't win a national championship with 2-3 other ten win seasons in his first five years, go back to the drawing board?

BTW, the only reason we lost 4 games last year is because we played one extra for winning the West. We also won 10 games, something that has happened a total of 8 times in the last half century. As bitter a taste as the last two games left in my mouth, I still celebrate the good. You seem determined to celebrate nothing but the bad.

But I guess you're right. Gus has hit the pinnacle already, and he's on a down swing. Coaches only win 10 games at Auburn twice before the insurmountable pressure eats away at them and they go mad. Might as well fire him and hope the next coach can live up to his predecessors' success level.

I’ve answered your stupid question about who we can get about fifteen times already as have many others who don’t have their heads up Gus’s rear end so I’ll let you check the other threads for that. 

Keep defending this guy all you want. WEBLOST TO TENNESSEE MAN. TENNESSEE! Who hadn’t won a damn conference game since 2016! And a road conference game in longer that that!!! Inexcusable! The man is 3-3 against Moo State! That is enough to fire a coach from Auburn right there! And what exactly do we have to show for that ten win season last year?? Because offensive genius boy couldn’t figure out how to score against Clemson and blew a big lead to LSU we didn’t even get a playoff APPEARANCE out of it and because he sucks we lost to a non power five team in a bowl game...keep Gus if you want. Maybe he can stay at your place when he gets run out of town. 

5 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Amen brother amen

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

BTW, it was "very basic knowledge" that we'd lose to UGA and UAT at a minimum last year, too. When one talking head suggested that Auburn was still in the hunt for the playoffs because of the slate they had, he was laughed at. Auburn has a history of making the impossible a reality.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I’ve answered your stupid question about who we can get about fifteen times already as have many others who don’t have their heads up Gus’s rear end so I’ll let you check the other threads for that. 

Keep defending this guy all you want. WEBLOST TO TENNESSEE MAN. TENNESSEE! Who hadn’t won a damn conference game since 2016! And a road conference game in longer that that!!! Inexcusable! The man is 3-3 against Moo State! That is enough to fire a coach from Auburn right there! And what exactly do we have to show for that ten win season last year?? Because offensive genius boy couldn’t figure out how to score against Clemson and blew a big lead to LSU we didn’t even get a playoff APPEARANCE out of it and because he sucks we lost to a non power five team in a bowl game...keep Gus if you want. Maybe he can stay at your place when he gets run out of town. 

*Sigh* Fine. Ride on your damned high horse about how horrible Malzahn is. I'm done with this thread. Hell, I might be done with this board. I try to shine a ray of light into the darkness, and fools like you smother it like you're going to get burnt. Live in your misery. Love your loathing. I'm done.

*Sigh* Fine. Ride on your damned high horse about how horrible Malzahn is. I'm done with this thread. Hell, I might be done with this board. I try to shine a ray of light into the darkness, and fools like you smother it like you're going to get burnt. Live in your misery. Love your loathing. I'm done.

Great bro, go live in happy sunshine land where unicorns and Gus roam freely and are happy no matter what.  

19 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Correction: I'm down with Auburn. Whomever happens to be the head coach, I will support. Most on here don't share that sentiment. Can't accept the bad with the good, because it has to be good all the time or it's not good enough. Right?

There's a limited amount of support for a failing coach anywhere. That's a coaching deal not a fan deal. These brothers and sisters of yours on here are not "fools". They're The Auburn Family. And they've seen enough. 

14 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Put Stidham in an offense like New England where he has options over the middle and an o line that protects consistently.  He'll shine.  His biggest issue is that we don't call plays that accentuate his strengths.

He doesn’t see the field. Plain as that. 

37 minutes ago, alexava said:

He doesn’t see the field. Plain as that. 

Oh that's part of it.  But I still think the right offense and the right coaching would help him a ton.  We don't play to his strengths.

Archived