Question for the board

NorthGATiger

Injuries to Defensive players when you are trying to go fast are frustrating but you have to be careful in your accusations in case the player is really injured.  Too often we see a player that can't get up and he only misses one play and then he is back on the field running full speed.

I would like to see a rule implemented by the SEC or all conferences that I think is fair to both sides of the ball.

If you are not able to leave the field of play due to an injury then you must stay out of the game for 3 or 4 (Insert how many) total plays afterwards.  This way if you are truly injured then you need to miss those plays anyway but if you are trying to get substitutions or give your defense a breather then the coaches might think twice about having a starter out for a given number of snaps.

What are your opinions?

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Injuries to Defensive players when you are trying to go fast are frustrating but you have to be careful in your accusations in case the player is really injured.  Too often we see a player that can't get up and he only misses one play and then he is back on the field running full speed.

I would like to see a rule implemented by the SEC or all conferences that I think is fair to both sides of the ball.

If you are not able to leave the field of play due to an injury then you must stay out of the game for 3 or 4 (Insert how many) total plays afterwards.  This way if you are truly injured then you need to miss those plays anyway but if you are trying to get substitutions or give your defense a breather then the coaches might think twice about having a starter out for a given number of snaps.

What are your opinions?

I think it would be good to make them sit for an entire series. You get hurt and need to sit until the defense comes back out. 

Things like helmets coming off would also have to be looked at because if you started making defenders miss entire series for getting injured, I think you would see a dramatic increase in defenders helmets somehow being knocked off.

17 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

What are your opinions?

What does this have to do with firing Gus?

😂

15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

What are your opinions?

If I were going to pull the breather stunt, I'd just use someone in a position I rotated, anyway.  Maybe make it a possession-long sit-out?  .

No. There are many times where you feel a tweak, hear a pop, or just don't feel right.  Not their fault, but best to be safe and check.  If it clears, they shouldn't be punished for taking care of themselves.  Yes, some will take advantage, but you can't ever really regulate it. 

Then again, plays like this should be somehow

3256402.gif

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No. There are many times where you feel a tweak, hear a pop, or just don't feel right.  Not their fault, but best to be safe and check.  If it clears, they shouldn't be punished for taking care of themselves.  Yes, some will take advantage, but you can't ever really regulate it. 

3256402.gif

Was that a tweak or a pop?  :Medical:

You’d have to flip that too. Let’s say QB gets cut/scratched. He’d have to come out, get taped and go back in after a play or two. Should he also have to sit the entire series or __ # plays? 

And, that’s skirting a big liability making a rule in this territory. 

I get the frustration, but I don’t see a way of fairly getting around it.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

3256402.gif

How about Davis' lack of concern standing next to him. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

How about Davis' lack of concern standing next to him. :laugh:

Davis..."if I don't move maybe they won't see me"

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

3256402.gif

4 plays or Mandatory time outs. Then go down all you want 

We have had this happen a lot this year. This player of ours going down vs Arkansas is still mysterious. They were not even in a hurry. 

Arkansas just got to the huddle. 

42 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

You’d have to flip that too. Let’s say QB gets cut/scratched. He’d have to come out, get taped and go back in after a play or two. Should he also have to sit the entire series or __ # plays? 

And, that’s skirting a big liability making a rule in this territory. 

I get the frustration, but I don’t see a way of fairly getting around it.

The QB who is scratched isn't laying on the ground like he just had his legs broken causing the game stoppage.  He simply leaves on his own and comes back in the next play.  This is just when the game must be stopped due to a player that can't leave the field.  If the player is truly injured or can't leave the field on his own then he isn't worried about missing 3 plays anyway.  There is no reason why a player that is unable to walk should be on the field like nothing happened in the next 40 seconds.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

The QB who is scratched isn't laying on the ground like he just had his legs broken causing the game stoppage.  He simply leaves on his own and comes back in the next play.  This is just when the game must be stopped due to a player that can't leave the field.

Defense only 

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

The QB who is scratched isn't laying on the ground like he just had his legs broken causing the game stoppage.  He simply leaves on his own and comes back in the next play.  This is just when the game must be stopped due to a player that can't leave the field.

To me, there just isn't anyway to prove intent one way or another.  I mean, I guess we could have another official in the booth watching replays of injuries to limit flops like Swain's. But most aren't that blatent and occur in or around the action of the game and can't objectively be ruled on.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

3256402.gif

• Image result for took an arrow to the knee

I would tolerate traditional injury stoppages, if they would revamp the ridiculously inconsistent targeting rule. A guy can dream can’t he?

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

The QB who is scratched isn't laying on the ground like he just had his legs broken causing the game stoppage.  He simply leaves on his own and comes back in the next play.  This is just when the game must be stopped due to a player that can't leave the field.  If the player is truly injured or can't leave the field on his own then he isn't worried about missing 3 plays anyway.  There is no reason why a player that is unable to walk should be on the field like nothing happened in the next 40 seconds.

I totally get what you’re saying and agree. But, I don’t see any way to make injuries (real or faked) be treated differently depending on the side of the ball. It would have to be any injury. I just don’t see a way to combat that tactic from a rules standpoint.

1 hour ago, kwagoner said:

I totally get what you’re saying and agree. But, I don’t see any way to make injuries (real or faked) be treated differently depending on the side of the ball. It would have to be any injury. I just don’t see a way to combat that tactic from a rules standpoint.

Popeil's Pocket Polygraph. 

Archived