WDE_OxPx_2010

Link

1- Bama

14- Tennessee

15- LSU

19- FSU

20. Auburn

56.82 | 2 national titles

What's it like to live in the shadow of the most successful program in the history of college football? Why, it's pretty successful, thanks for asking, and War Eagle. The Tigers won national titles in 1957 and 2010, and stopped Alabama from playing for national titles with momentous upsets in 1972, 1989 and 2013 -- and a true Tiger fan would have a hard time telling you which was more enjoyable. Auburn became a more successful program in the last generation, when the Tigers began playing home games on campus instead of in Birmingham, two hours away. The Tigers waited more than a century for a true home-field advantage."

21- Florida

22- Georgia

36- Georgia Tech

Very interesting to see where we land and where some of our current and historic rivals are on this list.

All of our discussions of being a top 10 program has merits- several of the teams above us are D2 (FCS) or Ivy  League which is mostly a relic of the past.

22 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Link

1- Bama

14- Tennessee

15- LSU

19- FSU

20. Auburn

56.82 | 2 national titles

What's it like to live in the shadow of the most successful program in the history of college football? Why, it's pretty successful, thanks for asking, and War Eagle. The Tigers won national titles in 1957 and 2010, and stopped Alabama from playing for national titles with momentous upsets in 1972, 1989 and 2013 -- and a true Tiger fan would have a hard time telling you which was more enjoyable. Auburn became a more successful program in the last generation, when the Tigers began playing home games on campus instead of in Birmingham, two hours away. The Tigers waited more than a century for a true home-field advantage."

21- Florida

22- Georgia

36- Georgia Tech

Very interesting to see where we land and where some of our current and historic rivals are on this list.

All of our discussions of being a top 10 program has merits- several of the teams above us are D2 (FCS) or Ivy  League which is mostly a relic of the past.

Bama is going to rest until they get more titles than Yale. Can't believe they are still trailing a padlock company. 

Of course so are we so...the old days really skew the numbers both ways. 

LOL way higher than 20.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We are actually Top 15. ESPN just trying to needlessly show its stupidity by listing Yale, Princeton, Mt. Union, NDSU, and Harvard. 

Don't forget that Division III (MIAC conference) powerhouse, St. John's (Minn).  They'd have the Auburn team quaking in their cleats.

This certainly is a stupid list.  Just bspn being bspn...

I think they were going for most successful in terms of wins and championships, but used the wrong wording. Nobody would argue that Yale, Harvard, etc was a better program.

2 hours ago, arein0 said:

I think they were going for most successful in terms of wins and championships, but used the wrong wording. Nobody would argue that Yale, Harvard, etc was a better program.

When a sport is 150 years old, "all time" lists like this are just subjective nothing-burgers. 

The term "era" makes all the difference.  Not to mention "OH, I know what would make our readers REALLY scratch their heads?   Let's mix Div II & Div III teams as well!  That'll be great!" 

PLUS, since we're adding Ivy League and 1-AA teams ahead of modern P5 programs, let's just arbitrarily put Army at #39.  I mean they only had 3 Heisman trophy winners between '45 - '58 as they OWNED 2 decades of college football. But "Nooooooooo..... we must add traditional football powers Dartmouth, Linfield, App State, Wisconsin-Whitewater, etc. ahead of them cuz...........well, no reason". 🤭

Yeah, this is just typical, off-season garbage with a list probably compiled by Millennial, man-bun wearing hipsters trying to prove how brilliant they are by thinking outside the box and trying to out-wit real football historians. 

I hate these kinds of rankings. This includes things that happened over a century ago, when the game was very very different. All that matters is where we are in the modern era of football, which I define as somewhere around 2005 (when these spread attacks began to dominate football). As frustrated as people are with Malzahn (and were with Chizik), we've been to a bowl game in all but 2 years of that period while playing one of the hardest (and sometimes the hardest) schedule every single year. We've done very well in recruiting despite the fact that the two closest power 5 school to us physically have spent the last several years in the top 5 in recruiting rankings. We're also one of the few schools in the SEC that have played for multiple national championships  during these period to include us, bama, lsu, and florida. Also, it should be noted that florida hasn't done it since 2008, and LSU has only gone once in this decade (2011). We're not top 5, but we are certainly higher than 20 in the modern era of football. 

maybe Stat Tiger can do a 'modern history' analysis?  

Like say, include most of P Bryant's era since they worship him and go forward.  Would that be 1970?  How about from when color tv was pretty common?  "The black and white era" sounds like a good starting point.

If I were a true homer, I would say start when Patrick Fain Dye was hired (and you can start there, I won't complain).  

This would 'fix' all those anomoles with the Harvard's and Mt Union's of the world.   

At least we are ahead of Georgia!! 

You can't deny history, whether you like it or not. Princeton should get their due.

Go 🐅🐅!!

Painful. We have 11 undefeated seasons including 2 in the last 15 years,  playing schedules that would put Bama, Notre Dame etc in a fetal position. The media/sports historian favorite Florida schools have 3 or less and are given national titles even when WE beat them. We have a winning record against Miami, FSU and UF as well as many other teams ahead of us on that list.

Archived