Mike Gundey

JoeinPF

If memory serves me right a few years ago there was a lot of interest in bringing him to Auburn. Sometimes the best hires are hires that you don’t make.

Chuba-Hubbard-threatens-boycott-media-athletes-reaction-Oklahoma-State-Football-running-back-Mike-Gundy-OAN-T-shirt-protest-racial-injustice-148197962.html

Might as well get use to it. He isn't the first and he wont be the last. Multiple coaches/colleges will get hit with stuff. Fox news slammed the organization today so hope none of our coaches watch Fox news. Question is will Chuba play on games featured on Fox Sports since they carry the Big 12.

Players at Texas have made demands. These are probably the first two in a long list. I fully expect via someone (not necessarily players) Auburn will have to disassociate from War Eagle at some point.

Kid should of just went to Gundy and talked about it first. Guy has defended his players against the media on multiple occasions (plenty have come out and said so). Now despite the two sides saying the will work together you got the Finebaums wanting him fired. If they have rapport previously, and are communicating, and commited to progress why get rid of one side?

Funny part is people slammed him for Covid 19 and discussion of normalcy and now they are slamming him for not going to shoulder to shoulder protests? Pick one concept and stick with it.

Sister is an Ok State grad with a wicked sense of humor. She think Chuba should submit his playlists to Mee Too for a sensitivity ruling.

Personally (and this is just me) I was never on board with hiring him at Auburn. Never really thought he would be able to recruit in the SEC or connect with the Auburn family culture.

Now I am doubly glad he was never hired here. I know Auburn fans (soe on this board) thought he might e a good hire, but I wonder if our search committees had that same feeling about him.

I had that same intuition about Norvell, who also got some chatter here on AUF. I never really felt comfortable that he coukd take Auburn to the next level, or een maintain the same level. But laughing at FSU.

Of course, this is all just me, my hunches and stuff.

All I know is if a tweet from a sportscaster about the demands is true, someone or somebody's are going to look really stupid and vice versa if false.

My sister actually RA'd a dorm that shared the cafeteria with the athletic dorm when Simmons was there. They actually did put in complaint about the football team with the athletic department and sexual harassment. If I remember correctly Eddie Sutton also backed them. She ate lunch/dinner with him more than once and tutored some basketball players. He would eat in the cafeteria almost everyday and just sit at random tables with students and talk with them. His players were very respectful and very respected.

This would be a close description of the reported demands:

18 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Funny part is people slammed him for Covid 19 and discussion of normalcy and now they are slamming him for not going to shoulder to shoulder protests?

Who is "they"? I haven't heard any of that. I've only heard him criticized for wearing a shirt for an alt-right propaganda outlet. Not only does he evidently watch that crap, but he owns and wears OAN merch?? Who does that?? I'm not sure I've seen many people at all wearing Fox or CNN merch. Not only does that indicate a predilection for fanatical political views, but it indicates a fanatical predilection for fanatical political views. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not only does that indicate a predilection for fanatical political views, but it indicates a fanatical predilection for fanatical political views. 

Predilection for a predilecton.....

From A Dead Man… Greetings.

I know it was stupid for Gundy to be wearing a shirt for a news agency that is highly critical of the BLM movement. His job relies on him convincing black kids with black families to come play ball for him. Good luck with that while supporting OAN. 

I'm not sure if OK St should fire him for wearing a shirt but they should fire him for torpedoing any shot at recruiting a decent player again.

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Who is "they"? I haven't heard any of that. I've only heard him criticized for wearing a shirt for an alt-right propaganda outlet. Not only does he evidently watch that crap, but he owns and wears OAN merch?? Who does that?? I'm not sure I've seen many people at all wearing Fox or CNN merch. Not only does that indicate a predilection for fanatical political views, but it indicates a fanatical predilection for fanatical political views. 

I didn't wanna put the tweet up in case it was really really off. Figured people would be able to find it if they really wanted. It was from Doug Gottlieb if you want find it.

He was probably given the shirt cause he mentioned them once. Maybe he bought it who knows. He was on a fishing trip, not like you wear Sundays best to fish in lol.

Also the video in question (that set Chuba off) according to the original source (the caster in the video) is highly edited and was taken right after the shooting of multiple officers in Dallas 4 years ago.

Here is an article for you about the Covid issues (you can find more pretty easily):

https://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma-state/college-football-world-reacts-to-mike-gundys-coronavirus-comments

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/oklahoma-states-mike-gundy-apologizes-for-covid-19-comments-says-players-are-priority.html

I've seen CNN merch down on Town Lake multiple times. You can get it"

https://store.cnn.com/collections/cnn-apparel-all

Just cause they have CNN merch I don't automatically assume they agree with this:

“So,” he said, “we have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them. There is no travel ban on them. There is no ban — you know, they had the Muslim ban. There is no white-guy ban. So what do we do about that?”

On Wednesday, following the backlash, Lemon doubled down.

“Earlier this week, I made some comments about that in a conversation with Chris,” he said during a broadcast Wednesday night. “I said that the biggest terror threat in this country comes from radicals on the far right, primarily white men. That angered some people. But let’s put emotion aside and look at the cold hard facts. The evidence is overwhelming."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/10/31/cnn-host-don-lemon-said-white-men-are-biggest-terror-threat-this-country/

I like to quote Will Muschamp when I see them. I don't think they understand it refers to football though.

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

I know it was stupid for Gundy to be wearing a shirt for a news agency that is highly critical of the BLM movement.

First off, I'd suggest putting scare quotes around the word "news" when it comes to OAN. As impossible as it may seem to believe, OAN actually makes Fox "News" appear kind of liberal. Second, while the BLM movement may be the issue that led to this controversy, that in itself is hardly the issue with OAN.  OAN is, frankly, so radical as to be lunatic.

You may or may not like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, but it's difficult to argue with his take on OAN.  Mike Gundy is an idot...and not just for his OAN shirt.  

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Just cause they have CNN merch I don't automatically assume they agree with this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/10/31/cnn-host-don-lemon-said-white-men-are-biggest-terror-threat-this-country/

I like to quote Will Muschamp when I see them. I don't think they understand it refers to football though.

They SHOULD agree with it. The DoJ and FBI certainly agree with it. The ghost of Timothy McVeigh agrees with it. (Terry Nichols agrees with it from prison.) The radical right is white, white, white. The neo-Nazis? White. Homegrown terrorism in the US? White, white, white. And this is a white guy saying this.

13 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

First off, I'd suggest putting scare quotes around the word "news" when it comes to OAN. As impossible as it may seem to believe, OAN actually makes Fox "News" appear kind of liberal. Second, while the BLM movement may be the issue that led to this controversy, that in itself is hardly the issue with OAN.  OAN is, frankly, so radical as to be lunatic.

You may or may not like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, but it's difficult to argue with his take on OAN.  Mike Gundy is an idot...and not just for his OAN shirt.  

Don't watch John Oliver. He misqoutes and uses partial quotes of people for comedy purposes. I honestly don't care about OAN either nor do I 100% go all in and sell out to news organizations either. I've seen some stuff on crazy far right and crazy far left that I was like ya I agree with that.

28 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

They SHOULD agree with it. The DoJ and FBI certainly agree with it. The ghost of Timothy McVeigh agrees with it. (Terry Nichols agrees with it from prison.) The radical right is white, white, white. The neo-Nazis? White. Homegrown terrorism in the US? White, white, white. And this is a white guy saying this.

And excellent time to show what I mean. I don't agree with Lemon, but I agree with another CNN writer LZ Granderson (also a black gay member of the media):

And if the name attached to all of this violence were al-Qaeda instead of Gangster Disciples; or if instead of "gang violence" the bloodshed were called "terrorism;" or if instead of calling the people spreading fear and mayhem gangs we were to call them what they really are -- terrorists -- the nation would demand more be done.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/opinion/granderson-chicago-terror/index.html

And having done charity work on the Southside I can tell you many people in those neighborhoods view the mutliple forms of GD's as terrorist. There are Chicago gangs with terrorist connections.

https://apnews.com/b3be15d7e91349919a4c1cee974b234f

Can follow all the action here (note the body counts to the right hand side of the page):

https://maggionews.com/category/bloody-chicago/

There are others that have started to take into consideration our street gangs as terrorist. So I guess it depends on what verbiage you decide to use. Gangster Disciples, Neo Nazi's... same categories to me.

4 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

And excellent time to show what I mean. I don't agree with Lemon, but I agree with another CNN writer LZ Granderson (also a black gay member of the media):

https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/opinion/granderson-chicago-terror/index.html

And having done charity work on the Southside I can tell you many people in those neighborhoods view the mutliple forms of GD's as terrorist. There are Chicago gangs with terrorist connections.

https://apnews.com/b3be15d7e91349919a4c1cee974b234f

Can follow all the action here (note the body counts to the right hand side of the page):

https://maggionews.com/category/bloody-chicago/

There are others that have started to take into consideration our street gangs as terrorist. So I guess it depends on what verbiage you decide to use. Gangster Disciples, Neo Nazi's... same categories to me.

Suggest you look up the definition of terrorism. While certainly many innocents are caught up in American gang warfare- Latin American cartel warfare, where the limited LEOs who aren't on the take and journalists are murdered in very public and gruesome ways for strategic reasons, is a different animal- they are not often specifically targeted in order to push a political agenda. 

Step outside of Chicago (and LA) and see what's going on with the Boogaloos and other white, extremist militia groups. Granderson's quote about calling it al Qaeda is much more fitting. 

Lemon is absolutely correct. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Suggest you look up the definition of terrorism. While certainly many innocents are caught up in American gang warfare- Latin American cartel warfare, where the limited LEOs who aren't on the take and journalists are murdered in very public and gruesome ways for strategic reasons, is a different animal- they are not often specifically targeted in order to push a political agenda. 

Step outside of Chicago (and LA) and see what's going on with the Boogaloos and other white, extremist militia groups. Granderson's quote about calling it al Qaeda is much more fitting. 

Lemon is absolutely correct. 

Definition of terrorism is starting to vary. Different views by different social psychologist. Believe the original listing of gangs/definition in government was from 1927. I am also quite aware the traditional idea/definition contains the third phrase for political aims They actual have started looking at the radicalization and similarities in street gangs. Some of those Latin American cartels are now being labeled as terrorist organizations by their government.

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/brief/el-salvador-supreme-court-labels-street-gangs-as-terrorist-groups/

Even in California they use the word terrorism in their anti-gang language: Street Terrorism and Enforcement Act.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=&title=7.&part=1.&chapter=11.&article=

Like I said it can go either way depending on which scholar/sociologist you subscribe to.

I got no issue tossing GD's and Boogaloos on an island and let them go at it. They are both bad for America and it's population.

Gundy isn't attaching himself to terrorism, he wore a t-shirt with graphics on a personal fishing trip, not an OTA or Oklahoma State University event. Made no statment, wasn't even his Twitter page.  Dude's monumental contribution to society is that he played and coaches foootball.  He's so important the OP can't even spell his name properly.  The far left doesn't have a corner on the market when it comes to the FA, this is so over the top it's absurd.

6 minutes ago, TigerCatcher said:

Gundy isn't attaching himself to terrorism, he wore a t-shirt with graphics on a personal fishing trip, not an OTA or Oklahoma State University event. Made no statment, wasn't even his Twitter page.  Dude's monumental contribution to society is that he played and coaches foootball.  He's so important the OP can't even spell his name properly.  The far left doesn't have a corner on the market when it comes to the FA, this is so over the top it's absurd.

Tell that to his football players who called him out on it. Call them far left, call them whatever you want. Dude doesn't matter to anyone outside of sports conversations but his players care. They know the dude. He has a lot of say in their futures. They have a lot to lose by speaking up. They spoke up. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tell that to his football players who called him out on it. Call them far left, call them whatever you want. Dude doesn't matter to anyone outside of sports conversations but his players care. They know the dude. He has a lot of say in their futures. They have a lot to lose by speaking up. They spoke up. 

They spoke out into the Twitttersphere.  There's a huge difference and if they really knew him, or wanted to, they'd have addressed it directly with him face to face.   Once more, Gundy wore a T-shirt to go fishing.

1 minute ago, TigerCatcher said:

They spoke out into the Twitttersphere.  There's a huge difference and if they really knew him, or wanted to, they'd have addressed it directly with him face to face. 

And they acknowledged as much, and they have. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And they acknowledged as much, and they have. 

That's progress.  I'd be willing to bet that if they all stick it out, work through it and shut out the external noise, they'll ALL be better men for it.  

I'd be willing to bet very few if any of the football players had ever heard of OAN before they saw the coach wearing the shirt.

I hadn't either and my parents spend 4 hours every morning watching fox news and listening to Rush.

9 minutes ago, TigerCatcher said:

That's progress.  I'd be willing to bet that if they all stick it out, work through it and shut out the external noise, they'll ALL be better men for it.  

I'm inclined to agree. Gundy is a goofball and This isn't the first thing he's done or said that made me think that he and I probably wouldn't see eye to eye on many political matters. I really have no clue what kind of person he is deep down. But he's been there a long time and he has repeatedly put himself under the microscope and I don't think I've ever actually heard anything ugly coming out of his program since he's been there. I can only go by what we know, and he turned a pretty bad football program into a place where a lot of dudes have had success and gone on to NFL careers. So yeah, there is reason to believe that his players would do well to keep doing what they came there to do.

5 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I'd be willing to bet very few if any of the football players had ever heard of OAN before they saw the coach wearing the shirt.

I hadn't either and my parents spend 4 hours every morning watching fox news and listening to Rush.

Well, that just goes to show just how extreme OAN is. And they have been in the news a lot lately.

I just can't imagine that whoever the head coach is, isn't inconsequential when a young man signs to commit the better part of the next 3 or 4 years to work his ass off for that guy.  And I can't imagine that they really think that he somehow has pulled a fast one over on them as though he had some sort of secret affiliation to a terrorist organization.  The issue, as I've even experienced it (on this board occasionally,  just ask @Tigerbelle) is that it's really easy to pull out your bazooka and try to destroy someone from behind a keyboard.  I sincerely hope that their first face to face meeting completely disregards federal social distancing guidelines.  I'm pulling for those guys to simply hug it out first. And then get really emotional about what they are seeing, experiencing and hoping for.  Those young men deserve that opportunity to see how love "does" and Gundy, who is an incredibly passionate guy, needs to live it.  I sincerely believe the safest place a young black athlete could be this fall is on the football field in Stillwater.

Archived