If Nashville bomb is declared terrorism, business owners may have to pay out of pocket

Auburn85

https://fox17.com/news/local/if-nashville-bomb-is-declared-terrorism-business-owners-may-have-to-pay-out-of-pocket

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — For several days, there's been a debate over whether theChristmas Day suicide bombing that happened in downtown Nashville was an act of terrorism.

Many argue it is, but law enforcement has not made that official call.

Some business owners like Lior Rose of Nashville Ink, are hoping it stays that way.

The force from the bomb was so powerful, security camera video shows Rose's livelihood crumbling to the ground in just seconds. The 2nd Avenue tattoo parlor is located right next to the RV that exploded. That footage has since gone viral online.

“The first thing I saw is chaos, everything on the floor, everything was broken, in pieces,” explains Rose. “I had to rewind it and then I saw the blast it was horrible, I don't wish that on anyone.”

Rose hasn't had a chance to go inside to assess the damage yet, but it doesn't take an insurance adjustor to tell it's extensive, and will likely be costly.

Now Rose is worried about how he'll pay for it, even though he's always had insurance.

“I always believed, God forbid something happens, we'll be covered for that but right now it might not be the case,” says Rose. “We really don't know who to trust or who to believe.”

Rose is understandably concerned because he got a call Wednesday telling him that if Anthony Warner's attack is classified as terrorism, he won't get a dime because he doesn't have terrorism insurance.

Attorney Alex Little explains the possible loophole.

“If you're a business owner and you fall in that black hole where you don't have terrorism insurance, if this is declared to be an act of terrorism, that would mean they can't get their losses paid,” says Little.

Authorities hold, without a motive for Warner that clearly indicates an ideological reason for the violence, the bombing will not get a terrorism label. With over 100 definitions under federal law, it's subjective.

But still, Little believes there's a case for terrorism here.

“Given the size of the attack and the fact that it happened on Christmas Day certainly makes it appear as though it was directed at some sort of goal.”

If the event is not officially classified as terrorism, Rose and other business owners like him will be covered by their standard property insurance. Something they are certainly hoping for.

Archived