The party of starving babies

I'm not sure how giving an extra $28 million to the FDA will get more baby formula into the hands of consumers.

Edited by Cardin Drake

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm not sure how giving an extra $28 million to the FDA will get more baby formula into the hands of consumers.

Giving $28 million to help hire more FDA inspection staff and to provide resources for the people working on the formula will definitely help produce more baby formula that will then be put in consumer's hands. But GOP voted no so they can keep putting in campaign ads how the Democrats aren't doing anything.

Well, now that the problem has actually been solved by allowing foreign imports, I'm not sure what good it is doing to reward the FDA, the agency that caused the problem, with another 28 million.  The FDA's budget is already 6 billion, and  it is rising to 9 billion in 2023.  Maybe Republicans actually think that giving the FDA even more money was the wrong solution, which is more or less confirmed by how the administration is actually solving the problem now, several months later than they should have.  The bill to solve the infant formula shortage by giving the FDA money just passed in the democrat controlled House a few days ago.  It is unlikely to pass in the democrat controlled Senate, but if it does, it will come far too late to do any good in this crisis.  The agreement to reopen the plant has already been reached.  It's like appropriating funds for a new paint job for the town fire truck after the fire station failed to respond to the fire that burned down the courthouse. Not every problem can be solved by giving more money to federal agencies.

And I realize the FDA didn't actually cause the problem. They just moved at a glacial pace.  Keeping the Abbott plant shut down a week or two is one thing. Going on 4 months is ridiculous when the investigation did not find the problematic bacterial strains in Abbot's formula. Come to think of it, the FDA did cause the problem.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Facepalm 3