I'm more than excited about Enrique Davis but...

BGoodTiger

what does this do to our recruitment of Caleb King? I know we will still recruit him but how hard does he look at us now?

If the kid is a player, then he won't mind competition. He may even see what Al did with Carnell and Ronnie and see himself as a Top 5 NFL draft pick.

Just saying that I don't think it hurts our recruiting.

Ummm....I'm not sure but if we can figure out the numbers to getting CK into this class too (provided he wants to come)...I don't think the ED pledge hurts us...Niether CK nor ED are afraid of the competition because they are both confident in their ability.

War Damn Eagle and our backfield is going to be full..we're going to have to put running backs at other places on the field...

Just look at Tristan Davis (avg 20 ypc) and Will Herring (40 ypc this season)

Fannin stays at WR

That gives us a backfield next year of Lester, Stewart, Tate, Davis and maybe King

what does this do to our recruitment of Caleb King? I know we will still recruit him but how hard does he look at us now?

If the kid is a player, then he won't mind competition. He may even see what Al did with Carnell and Ronnie and see himself as a Top 5 NFL draft pick.

Just saying that I don't think it hurts our recruiting.

Agreed. Kids that are that high up the food chain in talent usually have an ego to go along with the talent. Not always a bad ego but one that allows them to believe nobody could beat them out. Nothing but good stuff. More folks at other positions see top guys coming to the plains. No downside!

after viewing the video of Davis, I dont even care if we get King now. If you havent viewed it , you need to. This kid is unreal. size, breakaway speed, power, body lean, moves. I"m telling you right now, Davis will be just as good of a back if not better than King. plus he loves Auburn!!!

Regardless of what King does it was a bird in hand with Davis. King had the same opportunity to commit first if he had wanted to. I hope he comes but it's not a done deal yet. So I'm happy as can be with Davis.

From what I've heard theres still a good possibility that we get King as well. People assume that he'll immediately go elsewhere due to RB competition, but realistically every school on his list is going to have competition at RB. I really think that he wants to play at AU and like mentioned, I think he believes that he's good enough to beat-out anyone we have/bring in. We've still got a lot of push on him as we lose 2 RBs this year as well as one moving to FB (Stewart). We can use this to our advantage and on top of that we can bring in tons of Ronnie/Caddy game tape that proves we can field two top RBs at the same time.

All I know is that if these guys coming in run half as hard as Lester, we're in good shape. I know Kenny runs hard, but for a guy Lester's size, he hits the whole at 100 mph and really runs with force. I may be wrong of course since he did switch to #1 since he said it makes him look faster.

All I know is that if these guys coming in run half as hard as Lester, we're in good shape. I know Kenny runs hard, but for a guy Lester's size, he hits the whole at 100 mph and really runs with force. I may be wrong of course since he did switch to #1 since he said it makes him look faster.

He is amazingly quick getting through a crack ... and when its a hole look out.

Ummm....I'm not sure but if we can figure out the numbers to getting CK into this class too (provided he wants to come)...I don't think the ED pledge hurts us...Niether CK nor ED are afraid of the competition because they are both confident in their ability.

War Damn Eagle and our backfield is going to be full..we're going to have to put running backs at other places on the field...

Fannin stays at WR

That gives us a backfield next year of Lester, Stewart, Tate, Davis and maybe King

Fannin will be back at RB next year. He will be amazing. He makes Tate look like Carl Stewart, which is to say not bad, but mostly average. Also, I see no reason that King would come here now, he can go to another big name program and have a much better shot of playing and playing early.

Fannin stays at WR

Also, I see no reason that King would come here now, he can go to another big name program and have a much better shot of playing and playing early.

Like where? Look at his top list: pretty much every school he's interested in is an elite school. Pretty much every elite school has no trouble recruiting RBs on a yearly basis. Just looking at his other top schools:

Florida - Two of their top three RBs are Sophmores (Moore and Manson) and they brought in two 4-star RBs last year (Williams and Walker). Add to that this year they have added Rainey who could play RB and they're still recruiting Armando Allen. Florida fans seem to think that they're rising on King's list, but I dont see why he'd want to go to a team who's offense revolves around the QB - especially when Tebow Mania roles around.

Georgia - The biggest competition, they also pose the biggest opportunity for King to play early. Their top three RBs should all be back next year, and recent news states that Thomas Brown just blew out his knee. Brown will almost certainly gain an extra year of eligibility so he'll be there even longer. They also brought in 4-star Knoshon Moreno who will look to get PT. While their RB depth isn't as great as ours, its no surprise that Mark Richt and RB's dont go together very well. King hasn't exactly shown that much interest in Georgia lately as well.

LSU - Flatout stacked is the only possible way to describe the RB situation. Immediate playingtime is non existant with Broussard and Hester being juniors. On top of that, they brought in three top RBs last year: 5-star Keilland Williams, 4-star Charles Scott, and 4-star Richard Murphy. Theres competition there however you want to put it.

Notre Dame - Last year's recruiting class brought in 5-star James Aldridge along with two other RBs (Prince and Schmidt). Furthermore, current starter Darius Walker will be back next year and its highly unlikely that ND will burn him by replacing him as the starter. Not only is there RB competition at ND, but its questionable if King would even be able to qualify at ND...his grades have been questioned the past few months.

Tennessee - Currently has commitments from THREE running backs in this year's class (Rogan, Hawkins, Vereen). Recruited another RB last year (Lindsey) and got a stud the year before (Coker). Check the current RB depth chart: 1) Coker (Freshman) 2) Hardesty (Sophmore) 3) Foster (Sophmore) 4) Williams (Sophmore). Not only are all of their current running backs young, but they're bringing in a whole slew more this year.

USC - Does this even need an explanation? They have two top backs from this year's class already commited (Tyler and Green), last year they got commitments from a stud in Johnson, got another commitment from a 4-star in Moody, and then theres highly-rated recruits like CJ Gable who have all played RB. USC's backfield is about twice as crowded as ours.

You see, realistically, any "big name" school that Caleb King will commit to will have some form of RB competition present and likely stud RBs coming in/waiting their turn. Its been stated that King wants to be the "man" but he'll really need to go to a lesser school to accomplish that...even the #1 RB last year (Chris Wells) is only splitting carries with Pittman at OSU. When you combine our RB pedigree, the contacts we have with King (Lester etc.) and the fact that he has been high on us for YEARS now (and we've been high on him for the same amount of time) I see no reason why he would flatout drop us from contention. Like I said before, it really seems like he wants to play at Auburn IMO, and everyone who has some sort of contact with him confirms it. King's natural confidence as a recruiting stud will make him believe that he's good enough to beat out anyone we have -- Enrique Davis included. You see this every year, remember Ryan Perriloux commiting to LSU and believing he could jump Russell and Flynn?

We'll need to recruit King harder as he isn't a near lock as he was before, but I dont see why anything would change. This relationship with King has simply lasted too long for either side to just backout this suddenly. We also have a lot of things that we can tell King such as:

1) we lose two RBs this year, therefore we'll need to bring in two more.

2) one of our RBs has now been moved to FB which means we really only have two current RBs for next year.

3) Fannin isn't a certainty to play RB and could play WR or DB.

On top of that we could go straight to the game tape and show how we used Caddy and Ronnie together and showacased each of their skills well enough to have them both drafted Top 5.

I think Enrique was the back we really needed (Big with 4.3 speed, a north-south runner). He will be geat. It would be great if we could get King as well and run the two back sets like 2004.

Archived