Attrition

NoALtiger

To be honest I have felt like this season has been a tryout for all of these guys. I won't be suprised at all if Chubb, Payne, Neysmith, and Forbes are all gone next year. I am really excited about Ward and Johnson. Next year will be very interesting for sure

I have a friend who feels the exact same way.

If you cut all those loose, who wil be ur post players??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forbes and Neysmith provided nothing for this team this year. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's true. I think it's a very good possibility both don't come back.

JwgreDeux:

Quote from: AuburnTigers1 on March 10, 2011, 08:06:47 PM

That is way different as far as cutting players go. I mean we can keep the ones we have and continue to get our teeth kicked in for the next 3-4 years. I mean if that's what you want fine, but I prefer not to. Scholarships are a contract and done on a year to year basis for a reason.

It isn't any different, just because it is AU who needs the room rather than some other school.  The math isn't a problem if you don't sign new kids to scholarships that aren't open.  Not renewing a kid's scholarship because he isn't playing at the level you want, is cutting him. 

Because we need the room or because we want to win? The guys we have now aren't cutting it. Plain and simple! It has nothing to do with numbers. It has to do with quality of player. We don't have the problem because we over signed and we need more room. We have the problem of having bad players and wanting better ones. I don't care if it's Auburn or who ever that's common sense and practical. That IS two completely different issues!!!!!

If I was forced to make a decision between Chubb and Forbes, I pick Forbes. He doesn't bring any points to the table but he plays a physical brand of ball. He doesn't back down and get pushed around like Chubb does. Chubb brings a little to the table on the offensive end but he's not consistent and gets manhandled by other bigs. We have to have a physical player in the paint who can come off the bench and do the dirty work. One thing that disturbs me(well one other thing) about Chubb is that Barbee approached him before the season and told him he needed to be the go to guy and the he really needed him to step up for the team. Chubb told Barbee that he wasn't even the first option for his hs team and he's not sure he should be the go to guy for this team. We need guys with confidence and guys who will answer the call when his team needs him. We don't need the can't do attitude. Chubb played well at times for us and got some big baskets. I give him credit for that. We need someone who will make the paint a real life nightmare for opposing teams. I think Forbes is built better for that type of job. He doesn't have to go out and score double figures. All he needs to do is make thing difficult for offenses and grab rebounds, challenge shots and get some garbage points when available. Every team needs a Anthony Mason, Charles Oakley, Kendrick Perkins, Dennis Rodman type guy.

Thanks for posting.

Very good thread. Just like most families, we all want the same thing or have the same goals. We just may differ a little on the path. At least these kids know the man is watching and what he expects.

Thanks for posting.

Very good thread. Just like most families, we all want the same thing or have the same goals. We just may differ a little on the path. At least these kids know the man is watching and what he expects.

Ditto. You want the kids working hard and giving it all that they have and if the slack off, then they need to be somewhere else. Space on a basketball team is very limited and any dead weight needs to find another place to lag around. It's not pretty to send a kid packing, but sometimes it's a must.

• 2 weeks later...

If the current players want it bad enough they will work their tales off and bulk up or be out. P.s. they had better

be able to make 5 free throws in a row or they are out.

Archived