Attrition

NoALtiger

I've been wondering about this for some time considering it seems like we keep getting transfers and have also signed a new class and potentially more to come this Spring. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there are only so many spots on this team- a team that would normally not lose anyone after this season. So, it would appear some unpleasant business decisions have to be made by Coach Barbee. Obviously there is the Chubb situation, but there are still more decisions to be made. I would think it is a bit unusual in college basketball not to "bring back" some players (it happens more often in football), but that is the reality of what is going to have to happen. Good article here on an obvious situation for those who haven't seen it. WDE.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/imminent_roster_changes_after.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I have felt like this season has been a tryout for all of these guys. I won't be suprised at all if Chubb, Payne, Neysmith, and Forbes are all gone next year. I am really excited about Ward and Johnson. Next year will be very interesting for sure

To be honest I have felt like this season has been a tryout for all of these guys. I won't be suprised at all if Chubb, Payne, Neysmith, and Forbes are all gone next year. I am really excited about Ward and Johnson. Next year will be very interesting for sure

Why on Earth do you think Payne is gone? The guy is a freshman and has done as well as anybody on the team not named Ross.

Why on Earth do you think Payne is gone? The guy is a freshman and has done as well as anybody on the team not named Ross.

You beat me too this...Payne is part of the future...Let me add that Forbes should stay also...

You beat me too this...Payne is part of the future...Let me add that Forbes should stay also...

Really, Neysmith may be the only guy out of this group that doesn't return. Unless Chubb's legal problems become too much of a burden....

Neysmith and Forbes have the added benefit of being seniors next year. With those 2 plus KG we would have 3 openings for new recruits so I wouldn't be to quick to assume that either will be gone. I would imagine the majority if not all of the attrition will come from what would be next years rather large class of Juniors.

thats crazy Payne is one of the few on the team are a lock to stay he starts as a freshman and is preety productive :dunno:

Forbes? Seriously? He's probably the worst player on the team. He looks lost when he gets on the court. Not to mention he plays weak as water down low. If Chubb goes Barbee probably has no choice but to retain Forbes, but outside of that I can't see a reason to keep him, Senior or not.

Didn't Barbee bring Forbes in?  I know Chubb, Neysmith, Andre Malone, Ty Armstrong, and Earnest Ross are Lebo guys.  I just don't see Barbee cutting a guy he recruited to AU. 

Why is Chubb gone?  I understand he had the one run-in with the law, but has he had any other problems?  He lit up USCe pretty and would indicate that maybe he is developing.  I know that we need his size.  I can't imagine that the one run-in with the law is enough to end his career.  Let him without (drunk) sin cast the first stone..............

Why is Chubb gone?  I understand he had the one run-in with the law, but has he had any other problems?  He lit up USCe pretty and would indicate that maybe he is developing.  I know that we need his size.  I can't imagine that the one run-in with the law is enough to end his career.  Let him without (drunk) sin cast the first stone..............

It's been stated that it hasn't ended his career. I don't know about you but being arrested is a pretty big deal and is worth a pretty hefty suspension.

Didn't Barbee bring Forbes in?  I know Chubb, Neysmith, Andre Malone, Ty Armstrong, and Earnest Ross are Lebo guys.  I just don't see Barbee cutting a guy he recruited to AU. 

Forbes was signed before Lebo was fired. Chubb is 6'10" and active, he stays. Neysmith and Forbes are probably gone, Sr to be or not. Malone has already transferred to URI. Ty Armstrong may transfer. Wallace is a walk-on and won't be back, I'm sure. Everyone will be back.

And honestly, a nucleus of Ross, Gabriel, Sullivan, Chubb, Denson, Payne, and Langford can win the SEC West next season. Add in Ward, Johnson, McAfee, Kouassi, Morena, and possibly Trevor Lacey.

Forbes was signed before Lebo was fired. Chubb is 6'10" and active, he stays. Neysmith and Forbes are probably gone, Sr to be or not. Malone has already transferred to URI. Ty Armstrong may transfer. Wallace is a walk-on and won't be back, I'm sure. Everyone will be back.

And honestly, a nucleus of Ross, Gabriel, Sullivan, Chubb, Denson, Payne, and Langford can win the SEC West next season. Add in Ward, Johnson, McAfee, Kouassi, Morena, and possibly Trevor Lacey.

Why wouldn't Wallace be back? He isn't on any scholarship so there is no reason for Barbee to get rid of him to make room for someone else. He had scholarship offers at lower level schools but he came to Auburn anyway because it was always his dream to play for Auburn. I feel very confident in saying that I expect Josh Wallace to be back next year.

"And honestly, a nucleus of Ross, Gabriel, Sullivan, Chubb, Denson, Payne, and Langford can win the SEC West next season"

Seriously? They can hardly win a game now....... That doesn't translate into winning the SEC next year even if John Wooden was our coach. That's just not real expectation.

Disagree with how well Payne has done him and Denson have both turned the ball over a ton. However you are probably right in that he will stay. I said Chubb because I didn't know if was coming back from suspension. My main point is though we have 2 transfers that will play added to three new freshmen. We have to make room for these guys so don't be surprised if some guys that contribute this year are gone next year. At the moment Ross, Gabriel, and Chubb have proven consistently they can play SEC level bball every week

"And honestly, a nucleus of Ross, Gabriel, Sullivan, Chubb, Denson, Payne, and Langford can win the SEC West next season"

Seriously? They can hardly win a game now....... That doesn't translate into winning the SEC next year even if John Wooden was our coach. That's just not real expectation.

^^THIS^^

How many times have I heard the excuse "Lebo left us with no talent".... I agree with that statement so of course I believe many of these guys won't be key pieces next year. I only believe Ross and Gabriel have actually played SEC caliber bball while Chubb and Langford have shown moments.... I sincerely hope Denson, Payne and Forbes aren't the nucleus of the team two years from now...

Disagree with how well Payne has done him and Denson have both turned the ball over a ton. However you are probably right in that he will stay. I said Chubb because I didn't know if was coming back from suspension. My main point is though we have 2 transfers that will play added to three new freshmen. We have to make room for these guys so don't be surprised if some guys that contribute this year are gone next year. At the moment Ross, Gabriel, and Chubb have proven consistently they can play SEC level bball every week

Maybe, but you have to take into account that Payne and Denson are very young, it takes time and experience for the vast majority...

I agree 100% that Ross and Gabriel have shown they can compete in the SEC week in and week out.  These guys are players.  Chubb on the other hand has played 1 really good game and maybe 2 or 3 okay games.  If you saw the Arky game on TV a few weeks back, he looked like a deer in headlights.  I have a friend in NW Ark, who went to the game.  He texted me halfway thru and asked where we found the goofy white kid...said he looked lost.  I'm not here to knock Chubb, I've said before he plays hard and has improved a little trhoughout the season...but in my opinion he is a long way from being a SEC caliber center. 

That being said, I hope he continues to improve and I hope he stays here at AU and proves all doubters wrong. 

Why wouldn't Wallace be back? He isn't on any scholarship so there is no reason for Barbee to get rid of him to make room for someone else. He had scholarship offers at lower level schools but he came to Auburn anyway because it was always his dream to play for Auburn. I feel very confident in saying that I expect Josh Wallace to be back next year.

As you mention, I certainly see no reason why  Wallace would not be back next year either. He does not count against the scholly's since he is on an academic one himself, and he provides experienced depth at the point for next year...which unless I am missing something, we don't have....we got two transfers and presumably one of them will start at point or at least share time...right now we have a big drop off when Wallace sits. I like that he is fearless...wish he would improve his shot though!

Archived