The State of AU Womens basketball?

Miden

We should get a pass on losing to Rutgers in 08.  They had a lot of nappy headed ho's on that team. 

Question. There are several girls basketball powerhouses here in North Alabama (Bob Jones, Sparkman, Madison Academy to name a few) and every year several schools win State titles from here. It's been like that for many years now. Why does few if any of the girls come to AU? I see Tennessee, Florida, and other schools come in and get them but they never seem to come here. Do we not recruit the big name girls or do they simply not want to play for Coach Fortner and AU. There has to be something to it. It's certainly not the facilities anymore.

I agree NoALtiger - CNF, in '08-'09 had a group of starters - all from Alabama and won the conference title......don't know what the issues may be now.  Coach McGhee is a good recruiter and has started bring in some great talent...even though it isn't all from AL....hope the coaches will "coach up" the Lady Tigers to their full potential and get AU back to their winning ways.....

I didn't expect us to be able to overtake  UTk but thought overall we would be more competitive with the rest of the SEC.  Seems either the competition is getting better or we are losing ground.  Hope JJ has a good discussion at year end about where the program is going .....and what's the plan to get us back into the hunt for at least a division title most years.

I agree - there should be a very STRONG discussion......with the talent we have the digression of the team is sad.  The talent is there but it looks like, rather than improving from their freshman to sophomore years, there seems to be either a "dumbing down" of skills or we are asking them to do things that are not in their current skill set.  We seem to not have any inside game.....it's a must have in the SEC.  I'll go back to this - KeKe didn't get any better, PH is a junior and should be dominating games........Blanche played 30 minutes against Florida Thursday night - at least she could get into a flow....wondering about the substitution patterns and why we spend so much time changing our game rather than playing our game and make the oppostion adjust to us.....let's go Lady Tigers - beat the hogs tomorrow!  :wareagle:

Again the ladies played hard but came up short at the end. We will have 9 players back next year along with 4 solid signees. I think we need to give Carla a chance to recruit enough of the type players we need. She came back to Auburn in August of 2010.  Also, I think we need to "evaluate" the coach responsible for the "bigs" and the strength and conditioning coach. I honestly think our ladies are trying the best they can but it is just not coming together for them.

Again the ladies played hard but came up short at the end. We will have 9 players back next year along with 4 solid signees. I think we need to give Carla a chance to recruit enough of the type players we need. She came back to Auburn in August of 2010.  Also, I think we need to "evaluate" the coach responsible for the "bigs" and the strength and conditioning coach. I honestly think our ladies are trying the best they can but it is just not coming together for them.

LADYTGR- Do u think Fortner should stay past 2012?? Why?

IMO - Coach Fortner should be required to have an "improvement" plan...it should be part of the annual evaluation that she has with JJ...what are the goals, what is going to change to meet those goals, etc. and if she doesn't meet it there should be consequences.....it's what I have to do each year.  Right now WBB fans are extremely frustrated (as I am sure the Lady Tigers are) and looking for answers.  The Lady Tigers have a following of ex- players and coaches - basketball ingelligent people - we are looking for answers to unusual substitution patterns, players appearing to not be "coached up", upper classmen who haven't improved since they set foot on campus, the lack of the "killer instinct" to put games away, lack of an inside game - we are living and DYING by the outside game and the shooting % is dismal, floor leadership - where is it?

We have a great bunch of young ladies - let's get them back to the top where they should be...WDE!

Wardon, are you asking me if CNF should stay at Auburn or turn down offers from the WNBA or another DI school? Really? How much are you in the know about the program and the players? If you are suggesting she be let go, then why don't you tell us why?

Wardon, are you asking me if CNF should stay at Auburn or turn down offers from the WNBA or another DI school? Really? How much are you in the know about the program and the players? If you are suggesting she be let go, then why don't you tell us why?

Not wardon but they steady decline of the women's play and the fact that not too long ago we were competing and won SEC titles and are now 3-10 in the SEC... I like NF a lot and think she is a very fun and great person but she's paid to win basketball games and we haven't done that in the past few seasons

If you compare Ciampi's last seven years to Nell's first seven - not much difference. He was 136/73 overall and 43/55 in the SEC; Nell is 132/89 overall and 48/54 in the SEC......so while people are complaining about a decline - it started before Coach Fortner got here.

This is what I've kinda been referring to- a 2-time Miss Basketball/ 3A Player of the Year from West Morgan High School, AL. Averaging 35 points per game and 11 rebounds this season and has scored 4,456 career points. She is heading out of State and going to Purdue. Also, the 6A Miss Basketball currently plays at Bob Jones and has signed with Tennessee (ok, that I understand but...). We are continually missing out on these girls for some reason and are struggling because of it imo.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/west_morgans_hamby_points_towa.html

Question. There are several girls basketball powerhouses here in North Alabama (Bob Jones, Sparkman, Madison Academy to name a few) and every year several schools win State titles from here. It's been like that for many years now. Why does few if any of the girls come to AU? I see Tennessee, Florida, and other schools come in and get them but they never seem to come here. Do we not recruit the big name girls or do they simply not want to play for Coach Fortner and AU. There has to be something to it. It's certainly not the facilities anymore.

Players on current roster from Alabama

Tyresse Tanner

Peyton Davis

Blanche Alverson

Courtney Strain

Commits from Alabama

Tra'cee Nicole Tanner

Jacey Scott

I'm only making sure you do know we have players on the team from Alabama. Also, the girls go where they have the best chance to play earliest in their position and get the education they want.  All sport teams at Auburn recruit regionally as you know.  But we do have WBB players who were on a state championship teams, Wendy's Heisman winners, all-state teams, runner up to Miss Tennessee Basketball, Miss Alabama Basketball,etc.

This is what I've kinda been referring to- a 2-time Miss Basketball/ 3A Player of the Year from West Morgan High School, AL. Averaging 35 points per game and 11 rebounds this season and has scored 4,456 career points. She is heading out of State and going to Purdue. Also, the 6A Miss Basketball currently plays at Bob Jones and has signed with Tennessee (ok, that I understand but...). We are continually missing out on these girls for some reason and are struggling because of it imo.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/west_morgans_hamby_points_towa.html

The West Morgan player probably knows we already have Camille Glymph, Courtney Strain, and committ Jacey Scott, who at 5'10" might fair better in the athletic SEC. I think her style of play fits in better with Purdue and I hope she does fantastic up there. Also, Jasmine Jones committed early to Tennessee. I hope that works out for her.  I know Auburn would have loved to have Jasmine. Just saying.

I support CNF and optimistic where the program is heading.  The team should be back in the NCAA tournament within 2 years.  Back when I was in school, Auburn made it to the NC game 3 times in a row.  There is no reason Auburn can't return to those glory days. 

I support CNF and optimistic where the program is heading.  The team should be back in the NCAA tournament within 2 years.   Back when I was in school, Auburn made it to the NC game 3 times in a row.  There is no reason Auburn can't return to those glory days. 

I agree and I believe Carla McGhee is doing a great job recruiting the players to get us back. Here is the link to the 4 players we are bringing in next year which includes a badly needed point guard and post player.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2/class/2012

:thumbsup:

I support CNF and optimistic where the program is heading.  The team should be back in the NCAA tournament within 2 years.   Back when I was in school, Auburn made it to the NC game 3 times in a row.  There is no reason Auburn can't return to those glory days. 

Not sure how anyone can be optimistic about where the program is headed. Fortner had one great year in 08-09, and instead of capitalizing on that success we've fallen off in a major way. I respect her has a person, but as of today she is 51-65 in league play, and in her 8 years at Auburn she has had only one winning season of league play.

If you compare Ciampi's last seven years to Nell's first seven - not much difference.  He was 136/73 overall and 43/55 in the SEC; Nell is 132/89 overall and 48/54 in the SEC......so while people are complaining about a decline - it started before Coach Fortner got here.

8 years is plenty of time to build a program. Especially in basketball.

I really hate this situation.

Nell F is everything that is good about coaching and Auburn.  I'm proud she coaches for the school and she is a tremendous representative for our school.  Coaching college sports is a tough world and some of the best people just don't quite make it.  I'm not close enough to the program to understand what's going on and why some of the top recruits have not developed. 

I hate it for Nell...and I hate it for AU but I'm afraid JJ is going to have to make a hard decision at the end of this season....and many people are not going to like it either way.    :dunno:

I support CNF and optimistic where the program is heading.  The team should be back in the NCAA tournament within 2 years.   Back when I was in school, Auburn made it to the NC game 3 times in a row.  There is no reason Auburn can't return to those glory days. 

Not sure how anyone can be optimistic about where the program is headed. Fortner had one great year in 08-09, and instead of capitalizing on that success we've fallen off in a major way. I respect her has a person, but as of today she is 51-65 in league play, and in her 8 years at Auburn she has had only one winning season of league play.

If you compare Ciampi's last seven years to Nell's first seven - not much difference.  He was 136/73 overall and 43/55 in the SEC; Nell is 132/89 overall and 48/54 in the SEC......so while people are complaining about a decline - it started before Coach Fortner got here.

8 years is plenty of time to build a program. Especially in basketball.

Wow, I didn't realize this. Interesting.

Sorry but time for a coaching change.  Its like a ladies version of Lebo.  Never any size in the post that is SEC caliber if there is anyone at all, and the team plays jungle gym style basketball.  Coaching seems to be lacking in a number of areas and giving her more time just like they kept giving Lebo more time isnt going to change anything other than setting the program back yet another year. Just my .02 cents

Archived