interview with NCAA president

thacheetah11

over with? no way its over. according to shane and thayer evans and clay travis the ncaa has not even started yet. you guys need to get your info from the finebaum show.

over with? no way its over. according to shane and thayer evans and clay travis the ncaa has not even started yet. you guys need to get your info from the finebaum show.

Thayer Evans and the Finebaum show? Is this supposed to be a joke?

He doesn't need to be so against the idea of players being able to get paid sometime in the future.

Yeah he does need to be against it. If paying players gets involved then I'm done with supporting collegiate athletics. It'll become the Ohio St., Texas, USC, and Alabama show every year. They are getting paid.. to go to school like they should be.

I don't think they should be paid in the since of my boss pays me for the work I do, but receive more benefits than they already do. More of an allowance if you will. Not just football, but all sports. I know they already receive some, but it is hardly enough. I'm able to work to pay my bills while in school, but athletes are not as able.

I don't think they should be paid in the since of my boss pays me for the work I do, but receive more benefits than they already do. More of an allowance if you will. Not just football, but all sports. I know they already receive some, but it is hardly enough. I'm able to work to pay my bills while in school, but athletes are not as able.

This, that is what I think as well.

Exactly. Athletes put so much time into school and their sport that they don't have time for a job. Sure, their education is payed for, but they have no money to spend for themselves like all other college kids do usually, considering they can have a job. Athletes should get a little bit of "allowance", which is different than a salary

Exactly. Athletes put so much time into school and their sport that they don't have time for a job. Sure, their education is payed for, but they have no money to spend for themselves like all other college kids do usually, considering they can have a job. Athletes should get a little bit of "allowance", which is different than a salary

But do you believe that this "allowance" should be repayed at the end of their education?  Most students that don't have time for jobs have to pay for everything with student loans... which they pay back.  The only group on Auburn's campus that recieves an "allowance" or stipend (if you will) is ROTC, which they pay back with 4 years of service.  Just because someone plays a sport doesn't mean they should recieve money for it.  Should people on the club sports teams such as Rugby, men's soccer, and tyhe rowing team recieve the same allowance?  After all, they put in just as much practice time but don't recieve a free education or free meal plans. 

But do you believe that this "allowance" should be repayed at the end of their education? Most students that don't have time for jobs have to pay for everything with student loans... which they pay back. The only group on Auburn's campus that recieves an "allowance" or stipend (if you will) is ROTC, which they pay back with 4 years of service. Just because someone plays a sport doesn't mean they should recieve money for it. Should people on the club sports teams such as Rugby, men's soccer, and tyhe rowing team recieve the same allowance? After all, they put in just as much practice time but don't recieve a free education or free meal plans.

No, they shouldn't pay it back. These athletes are making money for the schools. The schools should repay them with more than just a scholarship. A little bit of allowance is all these players need. If players got allowance, the whole Ohio St incident with Pryor selling stuff for money and tatoos wouldn't have happened because he was doing it out of need for money.

No, those club sport teams shouldn't because those athletes are not playing that sport or doing that activity in order to receive scholarship. They are doing it on their free time, and can quit with no consequences. A football player can't just take a season off and get a job. They have to play football to keep their scholarship renewed. If those Rugby players or men's soccer players really wanted money, they could take a break and get a job

But do you believe that this "allowance" should be repayed at the end of their education?  Most students that don't have time for jobs have to pay for everything with student loans... which they pay back.  The only group on Auburn's campus that recieves an "allowance" or stipend (if you will) is ROTC, which they pay back with 4 years of service.  Just because someone plays a sport doesn't mean they should recieve money for it.  Should people on the club sports teams such as Rugby, men's soccer, and tyhe rowing team recieve the same allowance?  After all, they put in just as much practice time but don't recieve a free education or free meal plans. 

No, they shouldn't pay it back. These athletes are making money for the schools. The schools should repay them with more than just a scholarship. A little bit of allowance is all these players need. If players got allowance, the whole Ohio St incident with Pryor selling stuff for money and tatoos wouldn't have happened because he was doing it out of need for money.

No, those club sport teams shouldn't because those athletes are not playing that sport or doing that activity in order to receive scholarship. They are doing it on their free time, and can quit with no consequences. A football player can't just take a season off and get a job. They have to play football to keep their scholarship renewed. If those Rugby players or men's soccer players really wanted money, they could take a break and get a job

Then do you think players on the team that aren't on scholarship should be granted the same allowance?

Should the players recieve a bigger allowance the more they win? Or should the NCAA put a restriction on it or set the amount across the board?

My point is, there are people on campuses that put in as much work whether it be academics or ROTC, and those people don't have the opportunity for an allowance like this.  There is a reason that these men are called STUDENT athletes.  Quite frankly, just because someone didn't choose a college for education, but whether for football, isn't my fault, and I would be the one paying for this with my tuition.  Either take what is offered (meal plan, housing, free education that costs me 3500 at least a semester) and play football in college, or play in the Canadian Football League. I know that might sound harsh, but there are MILLIONS of other high school seniors that would kill to have the opportunity to run out on to a college field. And they would do it for free.

Several reasons why athletes will never receive anything more than what they are currently receiving:

There are nearly 1000 athletes on scholarship at most Division 1 Programs.  If you pay one you will have to pay them all.

Less than 10% of the NCAA Division 1 Athletic Programs actually operate in the black.  So the argument that these players make money for the university is not valid. 

It would not stop any illegal payments and would probably increase the opportunity to receive more extra benefits. 

The players would no longer be amatuer athletes. 

uh, yes. yes it is. I believe he was using sarcasm.

yes, joke, i thought it would be obvious

Paying players an "allowance" is an absurd idea IMO.  Believe it or not, this would open more doors for cheating rather than closing any.  Collegiate athletes should NEVER be paid to play.  An education and the ability to showcase their talents to the NFL is enough.

There have already been some valid points brought up, but let me offer a slightly different viewpoint. As much as the football and basketball programs carry the rest of most college athletics programs, the reason they do so is the amount of revenue they generate for the school. In the case of football, millions upon millions are made every single day they step on the field to play, yet they get paid what, the equivalent of around 30K (cost of tuition, books, housing)?

Let's put this into a business perspective. There's a company making hundreds of millions of dollars per year, and their primary workhorses are making 30 thousand in that same year. How long will it take for a union to form, or for those workers to go somewhere else to see their work appreciated and aptly compensated.

I do understand the rules of amateur competition, and I don't mean to take away from that, but does it not seem kinda wrong that universities exploit their student-athletes to line their own pockets?

Sure, giving any kind of extra benefits could, and probably would, devolve very quickly into what SMU had going on in the 70s and 80s, but at the end of the day, these players are bringing a great deal to the school, far more so than the average student, so should their compensation really be comparable?

there is not going to be a 'student atheletes union' and the only way for them to leave and do better is the nfl. and thanks to the nfl they have to be 3 years out of hs.

im not for paying the players. these kids dont have pockets full of $ but they have almost everything they need provided for them. the basketball player from ohio st. (his name escapes me) said he lived better in college that he did growing up and it was within the rules. they get taken care of pretty well. my kids will not enjoy an education at a top university and walk around with pockets of cash. most students graduate and spend a decade paying off loans. the way i see it is they get a free ride not sure how much that is worth but some say 80k and get to audition for the nfl/nba on tv every week which is the only way to get to make millions in sports. you take the good with the bad and i dont hear about many football players quit to get a paying job.

Just glad to hear him continue to say there is no evidence that Auburn did anything wrong.  As much as it annoys people who want to watch us burn, it's just not going to happen.  It will take another year in my opinion before people stop mentioning this NC as though it is only temporary.  Seems as though the large portion of America has short term memory.  See USC getting stripped of their NC this year.  No one mentions that anymore.  

I have been on here a long time but I don't usually post.  This subject though has always bothered me.  I worked my way through Auburn.  Sometimes I wondered were my next meal was going to come from, so don't give me this bs that these players deserve to have some spending money.  I didn't and I still have 50K worth of debt to pay off.

I do understand the rules of amateur competition, and I don't mean to take away from that, but does it not seem kinda wrong that universities exploit their student-athletes to line their own pockets?

Name me the person that is lining his pockets.  I see universities struggling to make it with the cuts to education so they use athletics as a means to help.  Its a way to increase publicity and get more donations across the board.  The only people I see making to much money is the coaches.

You forgot to put the  :laugh: or  ;D ............ :laugh:

The "payment" these athletes get is the opportunity to get a free education. With that opportunity, athletes have the potential to either turn pro as an athlete, or to turn pro in something else. The chance to go to college is the opportunity of a lifetime to make a better life for themselves down the road.

In return the colleges get to make money off the players with the players receiving no cut whatsoever. That's just the way it is.

Several reasons why athletes will never receive anything more than what they are currently receiving:

There are nearly 1000 athletes on scholarship at most Division 1 Programs.  If you pay one you will have to pay them all.

Less than 10% of the NCAA Division 1 Athletic Programs actually operate in the black.  So the argument that these players make money for the university is not valid. 

It would not stop any illegal payments and would probably increase the opportunity to receive more extra benefits.   

The players would no longer be amatuer athletes. 

Amateur^^^ Exactly! They also receive access to all of the grants your "regular" students have.  :wareagle:

Alright my bad. :laugh:

Archived